Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada Basketball

Raptors Republic Rookie kopite91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    That is just the built in excuse if we do poorly, and I think it's bullshit. Pretty much everyone on team Canada played for team Canada junior teams growing up (Wiggins, Ennis, Bennett, Olynyk, etc....), so they all already have experience in that rule set. Also, it's still basketball, it's not that much different. Fucking Mexico won the America's last summer, with one fringe NBA talent and a team full of guys who don't play in Europe. No reason a team Canada with the talent we should have now doesn't steamroll every team in those America's tournaments.
    I think it's less about the game and more about the officiating. I remember seeing a documentary about the Jamaica- Canada invitational and how the games got chippy and the kids learnt pretty quick that lots of things aren't called. Games are a lot more physical and you need to have good mental strength to cope with the officiating. NBA players have pre-established relationships with the refs and their abilities to work with refs dictate how they check their man. Communicating with international referees is difficult and these refs won't necessarily "make-up" calls if they make mistakes. They don't care since they'll probably never see you again while in the NBA, you're likely to run into the same ref 5-10 games down the road.

Plus a lot of the Spanish, Lithuanian, French, American, Argentinian players work out together during the offseason and they have that built-in on-court chemistry. I'm not sure Heslip works out with Anthony or Sacre works out with Tristan... in contrast, most of the American stars like Harden, Durant, DD, Gay, Chris Paul, Kevin Love, Brandon Jennings play a lot of pickup ball in the summer and in the Drew League. I remember seeing this Grantland Derozan interview where he talks about how Chris Paul organizes a "secret" pickup game of sorts where he gets 20 of the best NBA players to scrimmage at some secret, last-minute location like the UCLA gym or the Clippers facility. Plus a lot of them have come up together in AAU ball and college. A lot of the Canadian guys have come up different paths to get to where they are.
    Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

An article on the men's national team and their upcoming European tour in the Toronto Sun:

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/20...-the-long-haul

NBAers Kelly Olynyk (Boston), Andrew Nicholson (Orlando), Cory Joseph (San Antonio) and Dwight Powell (Cleveland) were in camp Sunday and two more NBA prospects (Melvin Ejim and Jordan Bachynski) will arrive once done at Summer League in Las Vegas, but Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett, Tristan Thompson, Nik Stauskas and Tyler Ennis likely will not attend.
    Kudos to those signing on for the trip. Looking at the schedule Canada should be good for a three or four wins.

CANADA’S SCHEDULE

Canada did not qualify for the World Cup in Spain later this summer, but the senior men will still play 11 exhibition games in order to get some much-needed experience ahead of Olympic qualifying next August.

July 24 vs. Slovenia (at Slovenia)

July 25 vs. Ukraine (at Slovenia)

July 26 vs. Georgia (at Slovenia)

August 1 vs. Croatia (at Croatia)

August 2 vs. Croatia (at Croatia)

August 3 vs. Serbia (at Italy)

August 4 vs. Italy (at Italy)

August 5 vs. Bosnia (at Italy)

August 6 vs. Spain (at Spain)

August 10 vs. Turkey (at Spain)

August 12 vs. Angola (at Spain)

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Any knowledge of whether the games will be broadcast or not? Last couple of years the sports channels have been pretty good about showing Canadian National teams in international play.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

NBAers Kelly Olynyk (Boston), Andrew Nicholson (Orlando), Cory Joseph (San Antonio) and Dwight Powell (Cleveland) were in camp Sunday and two more NBA prospects (Melvin Ejim and Jordan Bachynski) will arrive once done at Summer League in Las Vegas, but Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett, Tristan Thompson, Nik Stauskas and Tyler Ennis likely will not attend.

Post Thanks / Like

scroll forward to 3:15

scroll forward to 1:29

And now apparently we don't want enough lol!
    Last edited by kopite91; Tue Jul 22nd, 2014 at 12:13 PM.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Jordan Bachynski Centre
    Jordan Baker Forward
    Junior Cadougan Guard
    Melvin Ejim Forward
    Carl English Guard
    Brady Heslip Guard
    Cory Joseph Guard
    Owen Klassen Forward
    Andrew Nicholson Forward
    Kelly Olynyk Forward
    Dwight Powell Forward
    Robert Sacre Centre
    Philip Scrubb Guard
    Thomas Scrubb Guard
    Jevohn Shepherd Guard

Roster going to Europe .. No Kendel for first time in a long time

7. Like octothorp liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Sacre is playing this time. He skipped out last year.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote kopite91 wrote: View Post

Dude has no clue what he's talking about. So are Steve Nash and Tristan Thompson considered laid back? last time i checked Steve Nash was a Two time MVP and one of the best PG's in NBA History, and Tristan Thompson completely remodeled his shooting and switched shooting hands!
    Well if they are laid back and can achieve that, then imagine if they weren't laid back lol

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Employee wrote: View Post
    Good Sacre is playing this time. He skipped out last year.
    Other then last year he has put in alot of summers .. Him and Olynyk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote guyroch wrote: View Post
    Jordan Bachynski Centre
    Jordan Baker Forward
    Junior Cadougan Guard
    Melvin Ejim Forward
    Carl English Guard
    Brady Heslip Guard
    Cory Joseph Guard
    Owen Klassen Forward
    Andrew Nicholson Forward
    Kelly Olynyk Forward
    Dwight Powell Forward
    Robert Sacre Centre
    Philip Scrubb Guard
    Thomas Scrubb Guard
    Jevohn Shepherd Guard

Roster going to Europe .. No Kendel for first time in a long time
    Triano said that they told Joel Anthony to stay at home as this trip is with a developmental squad. Maybe it was the same with Levon.

Sportsnet.ca is saying that there is a chance still for Wiggins to join the team in Europe.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Triano said that they told Joel Anthony to stay at home as this trip is with a developmental squad. Maybe it was the same with Levon.

Sportsnet.ca is saying that there is a chance still for Wiggins to join the team in Europe.
    Sad to not see Anthony Bennet on this trip ...

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So, Thompson won't be on EU tour because Canada Basketball can't afford insurance for him? Awesome.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote rocwell wrote: View Post
    So, Thompson won't be on EU tour because Canada Basketball can't afford insurance for him? Awesome.
    Not sure that it matters considering Wiggins, Bennett, Ennis, and Stauskas are sitting out too. I'm sure he'll be on the roster next summer with everyone else, plus he played last summer so it's not like he has zero international experience.

Post Thanks / Like

The NBA pays insurance for players under contract in FIBA sanctioned events so insurance for Thompson is not a factor this time. Back in 2011 the NBA locked out the players on July 1st and left the insurance up to the national team organizations and the cost of insurance for Thompson was big for Canada Basketball.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Not sure that it matters considering Wiggins, Bennett, Ennis, and Stauskas are sitting out too. I'm sure he'll be on the roster next summer with everyone else, plus he played last summer so it's not like he has zero international experience.
    I don't care... Young, healthy kids shouldn't miss national team.. our boys need international experience as much as they can get. I've followed Lithuania's national team last year. Read a lot of stories about them. It's amazing how this small country competes against every big shot, in every tournament.

If Tristan wants to play, but can't because of insurance problems then it's really sad.. Canada Ball is showing they're not committed right now. Course they will be next year because of qualifiers, but c'mon. Chemistry is a beautiful thing, just look at Lithuania or up and coming team like Slovenia. Many experts doubted lithuania last year, they made it finals. We can be better than Lithuania, France, Argentina.... We'll never be like USA NT. They just got way too many talent. In order to compete and win big, we gotta start right now, and it doesn't matter if this year is only for friendly matches. Gaining some experience points and building chemistry EVERY YEAR should be priority for our young kids at this moment.
    Last edited by rocwell; Tue Jul 22nd, 2014 at 03:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    The NBA pays insurance for players under contract in FIBA sanctioned events so insurance for Thompson is not a factor this time. Back in 2011 the NBA locked out the players on July 1st and left the insurance up to the national team organizations and the cost of insurance for Thompson was big for Canada Basketball.

so why Triano said they can't afford to insure Tristan?

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The reality is they don't have a lot of money. I remember reading that the 1st thing Steve Nash did as GM is get on the phone and try to hook up sponsors. It would be nice to have Tristan there but they are just exhibition games.

Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but doesn't the NBA pay into USA basketball?
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps this exhibition tour is not considered a FIBA sanctioned event since we're not competing in the tournament, just playing random friendlies. That's my best guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote kopite91 wrote: View Post

His defense on Toronto radio (Fan 590)
    http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/p...-10)---Xpm.mp3

Take it as you will.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol does this dude must great at PR cuz that was one helluva backtrack!

22. Like blackjitsu liked this post
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information