Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretch wrote: View Post
    USA teams with NBA rosters finished fifth at FIBA World Championship in 2002, 3rd at the Olympics in 2004, and 3rd in FIBA World Championship in 2006. Greece beat the USA in the FIBA World Championship with zero NBA players. The USA squad included LBJ, Melo, Wade, Bosh, Chris Paul, and Dwight Howard.
    Everyone is dancing around the point I was making, but you came closest to giving me a real answer. The 2002 USA team is the only international team that had a bunch of NBA players that didn't medal. That was the year where the US famously didn't give a fuck, and caused the whole program to get revamped.
    Greece, and all those other teams are irrelevant to my point, since as you pointed out, they didn't have NBA players.

I'm making the point that if you have a team full of NBA players in international ball, you will medal. Not the inverse, that if you have a team devoid of NBA talent, you won't medal.

Other than that 2002 USA squad, I don't think there has been a single international team with a bunch of NBA players that didn't medal.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      Everyone is dancing around the point I was making, but you came closest to giving me a real answer. The 2002 USA team is the only international team that had a bunch of NBA players that didn't medal. That was the year where the US famously didn't give a fuck, and caused the whole program to get revamped.
      Greece, and all those other teams are irrelevant to my point, since as you pointed out, they didn't have NBA players.

I'm making the point that if you have a team full of NBA players in international ball, you will medal. Not the inverse, that if you have a team devoid of NBA talent, you won't medal.

Other than that 2002 USA squad, I don't think there has been a single international team with a bunch of NBA players that didn't medal.
      Brazil and Argentina in last Olympics didn't medal ... Russia with no NBA starters on their team got the bronze ... Listen Canada with 4 NBA players didn't even quaify for this years worlds ..

How about this .. your country needs to develop at least one NBA allstar and you can be considered a medal favorite ..

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        I hope Tyler Ennis gets some good development time in.. doesn't look good considering the depth that the Suns have at PG. Hopefully a trade is brewing there.

But if Tyler ends up in the D-League for most of the year or next year he's not going to be that good for Canada and that will be a disappointment.
        There might be minutes for him. There's 96 combined minutes every night at PG/SG, and him and Thomas could split those 30 leftover. If Bledsoe, Dragic or Thomas go down though, there's a whole bunch of minutes for him.
        @Boymusic66

Comment

• Anonymous NBA GM Would Take Tyler Ennis Over Kyrie Irving Right Now

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ving-right-now

Dumb GM ?? or did his stock drop ?
          Last edited by guyroch; Wed Jul 16, 2014, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
            Brazil and Argentina in last Olympics didn't medal ... Russia with no NBA starters on their team got the bronze ... Listen Canada with 4 NBA players didn't even quaify for this years worlds ..

How about this .. your country needs to develop at least one NBA allstar and you can be considered a medal favorite ..
            Well...there were all those years that Dirk was on Germany but they didn't do anything. Or Deng on England. Otherwise I agree. When Canada didn't qualify I wasn't surprised. Those NBA guys were all young, and if Thompson is considered your best player you're in trouble. Just give it a few years and the depth and experience will be huge.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• anyone else worried that Stauskus and Ennis both ended up in horrible development situations...Olynyk isn't really getting the necessary burn either
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                anyone else worried that Stauskus and Ennis both ended up in horrible development situations...Olynyk isn't really getting the necessary burn either
                Not really. Stauskus will at least get a ton of playing time. Ennis will be in the D-League a lot this year, as long as the Suns re-up Bledsoe.
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

anyone else worried that Stauskus and Ennis both ended up in horrible development situations...Olynyk isn't really getting the necessary burn either
                  Not Stauskas, but Ennis for sure. I have to believe Phoenix wants in on the Love sweepstakes or is preparing some other gambit. Dragic/Lowry/Thomas makes no sense otherwise.

I also am a little concerned that Wiggins isn't going to get the requisite reps with a win-now focus in Cleveland. He needs the responsibility of being the man; I don't want him to develop an attitude of relaxing while Lebron takes care of all the toughest situations. Plus I don't think Lebron would be a great mentor. Would much prefer to see Wiggins end up in Minnesota, even if it means breaking up the Cleveland Canadians.

Comment

Sacramento seems to be starting to turn things around, Stauskas will be to good to keep off the floor. Phoenix still has not re-signed Bledsoe yet, there is a chance he get playing time early, also if he does stay with the big club he will be learning from some solid guards.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Basketball Canada is going to announce in the next day or two who is on the roster for the SMNT making the trip to Europe for exhibitions against World Cup qualifiers. I think it's important to get a pool of players practicing and playing together this summer under FIBA rules in preparation for next summer's Olympic qualification tournament.

Wiggins and Tyler Ennis are not under contract yet. Stauskas is.

Comment

Basketball Canada is going to announce in the next day or two who is on the roster for the SMNT making the trip to Europe for exhibitions against World Cup qualifiers. I think it's important to get a pool of players practicing and playing together this summer under FIBA rules in preparation for next summer's Olympic qualification tournament.

not under contract ? I thought you had to be signed in order to play in summer league .

Comment

not under contract ? I thought you had to be signed in order to play in summer league .
                          Players under contract can still be traded so some teams hold off. Players don't need to be under contract to play Summer League games just be insured.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                            Players under contract can still be traded so some teams hold off. Players don't need to be under contract to play Summer League games just be insured.
                            A good example: our own BeBe. He is not yet signed, and he's playing for our team.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Basketball Canada is going to announce in the next day or two who is on the roster for the SMNT making the trip to Europe for exhibitions against World Cup qualifiers. I think it's important to get a pool of players practicing and playing together this summer under FIBA rules in preparation for next summer's Olympic qualification tournament.

I twitter somebody who covers Canadian Basketball and they said expect all to most of last years roster and even guys like Celtics Kelly's and Bennet to attend .. Don't expect this years draftee's though ,

Comment

I twitter somebody who covers Canadian Basketball and they said expect all to most of last years roster and even guys like Celtics Kelly's and Bennet to attend .. Don't expect this years draftee's though ,
                                Thanks. Last year's roster was weakest in depth at the point guard position and they could have used a true center, a low post type threat and rim protector.

Comment

Working...
                                X