• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no point playing the what if game...

what if Tristan playing in FIBA Americas
    what if we had not choked against Ven
    what if Wiggins & Staukas played here

we choked against Ven, we lost to a better team in Manilla...hope these young Canadians future stars learn from this experience and commit to country on the path to 2020. Triano may not be the best coach but he's going to be Canada's coach for the foreseeable future as long as Nash is running the program so the coaching is a non-starter at the moment.

Comment

• Good game, impressed with Canada.

the whole qualifying system is fucked up. You shouldn't play a top 3, top 4 team in the world for one of these final spots.

Comment

• I realize that there is nothing Obligating Stauskus, Wiggins, Nicholson, Powell, Murray to play for team Canada. But fuck, that practically is a starting lineup. I know there were some insurance issues, but I really hope they sort their shit out for next summer so we can qualify for 2020
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Comment

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
              I realize that there is nothing Obligating Stauskus, Wiggins, Nicholson, Powell, Murray to play for team Canada. But fuck, that practically is a starting lineup. I know there were some insurance issues, but I really hope they sort their shit out for next summer so we can qualify for 2020
              I heard qualifications will be run during NBA season from now on. So Canada NT won't have any NBA players
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                I heard qualifications will be run during NBA season from now on. So Canada NT won't have any NBA players
                I posted the new qualification video above...handful of tournaments will be right in the NBA season....Canada gonna have to rely on D-league/NCAA/Euro players

Comment

• There will still be Olympic qualifying tournaments in June 2020, similar to this year. You should have most of your NBA players for that. I guess you'll miss players without contracts like this year.

-7 teams (2 American teams) qualify for the 2020 Olympics from the 2019 World Cup
                  -Japan qualifies directly as an Olympic host
                  -4 more teams qualify via June 2020 tournaments, similar to this year, probably the most realistic road for Canada

The in-season tournaments will be qualifiers for the 2019 World Cup. I guess you might miss the World Cup because of this? But you only need to be top 7 in Americas to qualify for the World Cup, so maybe it's still possible even without NBA players? I've no idea.

here's a picture of the new structure
                  Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sun Jul 10, 2016, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                    There will still be Olympic qualifying tournaments in June 2020, similar to this year.

-7 teams (2 American teams) qualify for the 2020 Olympics from the 2019 World Cup
                    -Japan qualifies directly as an Olympic host
                    -4 more teams qualify via June 2020 tournaments, similar to this year, probably the most realistic road for Canada

The in-season tournaments will be qualifiers for the 2019 World Cup. I guess you might miss the World Cup because of this? But you only need to be top 7 in Americas to qualify for the World Cup, so maybe it's still possible even without NBA players? I've no idea.

here's a picture of the new structure
                    what type of process is it for the the 2019 world cup?

Comment

• Do we really care?
                      As a nation... do we? If we really cared, those guys would have played.

They didn't.

there was no pressure.

so really..... who cares.

Comment

• I have never seen such a convoluted process.

Just run an NCAA style single elimination tournament over 25 - 30 days

128 team tournament works out to 64+32+16+8+4+2+1+1 = 128 games 4 - 7 games played each day

top 32 teams qualify for Olympics and there we have it.

thead solves all the problems once again
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
                          what type of process is it for the the 2019 world cup?
                          it's described in the video that RepTdot posted. There will be a qualifying tournament that will be spread out over 1.5 years, from November 2017 to February 2019.

16 teams enter, 7 teams qualify for the World Cup.

I'm not sure how this will work in practice, because it's not just the NBA players that won't come for many of these games. Why would colleges for example let their kids go play in these tournaments in November or February?

I read that some other pro leagues might take a break during these FIBA dates.

Comment

• Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                              it's described in the video that RepTdot posted. There will be a qualifying tournament that will be spread out over 1.5 years, from November 2017 to February 2019.

16 teams enter, 7 teams qualify for the World Cup.

I'm not sure how this will work in practice, because it's not just the NBA players that won't come for many of these games. Why would colleges for example let their kids go play in these tournaments in November or February?

I read that some other pro leagues might take a break during these FIBA dates.
                              so true...D-League, Euro and college all play in Nov & Feb...Canada gonna have to find talent from like the NBLC... :|

Comment

• It's going to get much tougher for Canada to even qualify for the qualifiers for the World Cup/Olympics under the new FIBA system to be implemented starting next year.

Perhaps the Raptors can help out by stocking the 905s as much as reasonably possible with a core of Canadian players that are familiar with each other and a system of play. Just a thought......

Comment

Working...
                                X