Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WJF wrote: View Post
    While 12 mil may be a little too much for Thompson, 7 mil is undervaluing him. He is the 6th best offensive rebounder in the entire league, all 5 guys ahead of him played more minutes per game as well. He is also the 19th best rebounder in the league, playing the 4th least minutes of the guys in the top 20....pretty good for a 23 year old.

He will more than likely take a dip in production with James and Love now in Cleveland, but what he learns from those guys would be super valuable to any team that could sign him away.
    He has played on a lottery team for most of his young career and so you have to index his stats somewhat ..

Don't get me wrong cause don't want my post to seem like I am slamming the guy ..
    Last edited by guyroch; Thu Sep 25, 2014, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Yeah it's interesting. He'll get a lot of playing time with Love on the floor, since Varejao is injured all the time. He'll be the 5th option in that lineup and will get the garbage buckets.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
        This is a good question.
        Some key points:
        Tristan is exactly 2 years younger than Patterson.
        Patterson is the better shooter with range to 3
        Tristan is the better rebounder (very good offensive rebounder)
        Patterson is more mobile hedging the pick and role.
        Thomson plays like a real big.
        Patterson is better at pick and pop game
        Tristan is better at pick and role finishing.
        Both measure about same size and length.

I think if you need a power forward to play like and old school big, Thompson in the pick, if you need a stretch 4 Patterson is the guy. I would like to see what, if anything Thompson has added to his game this summer before making a final choice.....but I am leaning towards having TT over PP due to what I perceive as being a tougher player....but not sure how he fits offensively with JV.
        Tristan is a better rebounder than Patterson or Amir, but gives it all back and more with his shooting. His eFG% is 48% vs. 54% and 58% respectively. Tristan is actually comparable, in terms of rebounding and shooting, to Tyler Hansborough. And we've seen where Tyler sits in our rotation.

Comment

• Kuh wrote: View Post
          Tristan is a better rebounder than Patterson or Amir, but gives it all back and more with his shooting. His eFG% is 48% vs. 54% and 58% respectively. Tristan is actually comparable, in terms of rebounding and shooting, to Tyler Hansborough. And we've seen where Tyler sits in our rotation.
          It doesn't help that Tristian decided to change which had he shoots with ...

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
            It doesn't help that Tristian decided to change which had he shoots with ...
            Actually, it did help. His range and ft shooting got better as a result. He just doesn't have that many offensive tools.

Comment

• Tristan Thompson is a rotation big at best or a starter on the 76ers. Nobody is gonna pay a mediocre player 11mill per year to just grab rebounds and finish dunks like a garbage man.
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                Tristan Thompson is a rotation big at best or a starter on the 76ers. Nobody is gonna pay a mediocre player 11mill per year to just grab rebounds and finish dunks like a garbage man.
                Hahahaha
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Remember when we gave Amir his deal, he was far less of a finished product than what Tristan is now, I think many are underestimating his value and potential.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• I think we are actually in a very weird place when it comes to contracts... mostly because of future cap projections. That 11 million is definitely taking into account future cap projections.

That said, I'd definitely take PP over TT, PP floor spacing on offense is a unique skill. I see TT as comparable to Ed Davis, (I think it's crazy he couldn't get more than the minimum) but because he's still perceived as young, and the cap is expected to rise a lot, I actually could see someone throwing him a four year 44 million deal, especially if they front or back loaded it (depending on when they wanted to maximize their cap space). Also there is a salary floor that is also tied to the cap, which could also cause teams to over pay a player especially in the first year or two of their deal.

A team that had the cap space and was close to the salary floor could offer him a 12-11.5-10.5-10. a 10 million dollar salary in 17-18 might be a very tradeable contract when(if?) the salary cap is around 80 million. Which would equate to 7.5 million if the cap was 60 million.
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                      I think we are actually in a very weird place when it comes to contracts... mostly because of future cap projections. That 11 million is definitely taking into account future cap projections.

That said, I'd definitely take PP over TT, PP floor spacing on offense is a unique skill. I see TT as comparable to Ed Davis, (I think it's crazy he couldn't get more than the minimum) but because he's still perceived as young, and the cap is expected to rise a lot, I actually could see someone throwing him a four year 44 million deal, especially if they front or back loaded it (depending on when they wanted to maximize their cap space). Also there is a salary floor that is also tied to the cap, which could also cause teams to over pay a player especially in the first year or two of their deal.

A team that had the cap space and was close to the salary floor could offer him a 12-11.5-10.5-10. a 10 million dollar salary in 17-18 might be a very tradeable contract when(if?) the salary cap is around 80 million. Which would equate to 7.5 million if the cap was 60 million.
                      I think Tristian has to see his situation .. He is on a Lebron James possible championships team which will have 3 max players .. I don't think with 3 max players can a team afford a 11 million dollar bench player

Comment

• On the other hand, he's on a team with Lebron because Riley and Arison basically refused to pay market value to Miami's key non-superstar players. Given that Cleveland is already a Luxury tax team (or will be once irving's extension kicks in I think), the only difference thompson's salary makes is to ownership's pockets. Lose Thompson, and they're replacing him with a mini-MLE contract player. So if if I was Thompson, I would aim high as there's a solid chance of getting a big payoff.
                        Last edited by octothorp; Fri Sep 26, 2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• Congrats to our Canadian women ... 91-71 win over CZE !! Off to the Quarter's ..

Comment

• Senior Canadian women far outpacing senior men with a top eight performance at the FIBA World Cup. Very tough match up tomorrow against the undefeated Aussie team.

Comment

• Despite the late rally by Canada in the 4th, Australia takes the quarterfinal match-up, 63-52 and advance to the ‪#‎Turkey2014‬ semifinal. Sportsnet1 tape-delay will air at 1pm ET.

Canada will play in the classification round tomorrow and sunday, with a top 8 finish guaranteed.

Full box score: http://www.fiba.com/ls/#6242&BKW400303
                              Last edited by guyroch; Fri Oct 3, 2014, 09:12 AM.

Comment

• Canada beats France in the rematch.

Comment

Working...
                                X