Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    How dumb does that sound though? It doesn't make any sense to force countries to qualify with players that won't be on their teams in the Olympics or World Cup. It'd be like deciding NBA playoff teams by the records of their D-League affiliates. Money talks and this would effectively kill FIBA, I just don't see it happening as proposed.
    FIBA has aspirations to become like FIFA. Good luck to them.

Outside of Canada there are very few NBA players involved in FIBA Americas. Scola, Gutierrez, and Barea plus a few former NBAers. If Canada and the US are excluded from using their best players for qualification it levels the playing field for the nations that don't rely on NBA talent.
    Last edited by stretch; Fri Sep 4, 2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
      All the best soccer players play in the World Cup qualifiers though. We've never seen a country stocked with pro talent that didn't qualify because all their players were playing in pro leagues.

Comment

• Any news on Powell?

Comment

• whats the deal with Trey Lyles.. is he not a Canadian? how come he is not part of the selection?

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
            whats the deal with Trey Lyles.. is he not a Canadian? how come he is not part of the selection?
            Not good enough yet. We're stacked at PF, with Nicholson, Bennett, Powell... I'd expect that even Birch and Wiltjer are ahead of him on the depth chart right now.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
              whats the deal with Trey Lyles.. is he not a Canadian? how come he is not part of the selection?
              I believe he chose to play in Summer League and get ready for the NBA season as opposed to the Pan-Am Games and camp. Not sure he would have made the FIBA team but he surely would have been on the Pan-Team if he had been available....

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post

Outside of Canada there are very few NBA players involved in FIBA Americas. Scola, Gutierrez, and Barea plus a few former NBAers. If Canada and the US are excluded from using their best players for qualification it levels the playing field for the nations that don't rely on NBA talent.
                I'm assuming that the proposed FIBA changes are system-wide, not just FIBA Americas. This would affect Spain, France, Italy, Brazil & Australia just as much as Canada and US. Spain, probably the most.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                  I'm assuming that the proposed FIBA changes are system-wide, not just FIBA Americas. This would affect Spain, France, Italy, Brazil & Australia just as much as Canada and US. Spain, probably the most.
                  Spain, Italy, France, and Brazil have a pool of talent to draw upon from their own domestic leagues. Spain's current Eurobasket (qualifying tournament for Rio) roster has only two NBA players on it. Australia doesn't have much competition outside of NZ in it's region.

Comment

• with the growth in the sport it is time for a Canadian pro league, Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton , Edmonton and so on

Comment

• Its called NBL
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Its called NBL
                        Is the talent level high enough to stalk good non nba Canadians?

Comment

• Venezuela lost to Argentina today by 9. And we smoked them by 20
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                            Venezuela lost to Argentina today by 9. And we smoked them by 20
                            hopefully Argentina is wearing down

Comment

• 10-5 Canada early

Comment

• Canada is attacking the boards like crazy so far!

Comment

Working...
                                X