Canada Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stretch wrote: View Post
    Triano said that they told Joel Anthony to stay at home as this trip is with a developmental squad. Maybe it was the same with Levon.

Sportsnet.ca is saying that there is a chance still for Wiggins to join the team in Europe.
    Sad to not see Anthony Bennet on this trip ...

Comment

• So, Thompson won't be on EU tour because Canada Basketball can't afford insurance for him? Awesome.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
        So, Thompson won't be on EU tour because Canada Basketball can't afford insurance for him? Awesome.
        Not sure that it matters considering Wiggins, Bennett, Ennis, and Stauskas are sitting out too. I'm sure he'll be on the roster next summer with everyone else, plus he played last summer so it's not like he has zero international experience.

Comment

• The NBA pays insurance for players under contract in FIBA sanctioned events so insurance for Thompson is not a factor this time. Back in 2011 the NBA locked out the players on July 1st and left the insurance up to the national team organizations and the cost of insurance for Thompson was big for Canada Basketball.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
            Not sure that it matters considering Wiggins, Bennett, Ennis, and Stauskas are sitting out too. I'm sure he'll be on the roster next summer with everyone else, plus he played last summer so it's not like he has zero international experience.
            I don't care... Young, healthy kids shouldn't miss national team.. our boys need international experience as much as they can get. I've followed Lithuania's national team last year. Read a lot of stories about them. It's amazing how this small country competes against every big shot, in every tournament.

If Tristan wants to play, but can't because of insurance problems then it's really sad.. Canada Ball is showing they're not committed right now. Course they will be next year because of qualifiers, but c'mon. Chemistry is a beautiful thing, just look at Lithuania or up and coming team like Slovenia. Many experts doubted lithuania last year, they made it finals. We can be better than Lithuania, France, Argentina.... We'll never be like USA NT. They just got way too many talent. In order to compete and win big, we gotta start right now, and it doesn't matter if this year is only for friendly matches. Gaining some experience points and building chemistry EVERY YEAR should be priority for our young kids at this moment.
            Last edited by rocwell; Tue Jul 22, 2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
              The NBA pays insurance for players under contract in FIBA sanctioned events so insurance for Thompson is not a factor this time. Back in 2011 the NBA locked out the players on July 1st and left the insurance up to the national team organizations and the cost of insurance for Thompson was big for Canada Basketball.

so why Triano said they can't afford to insure Tristan?

Comment

The reality is they don't have a lot of money. I remember reading that the 1st thing Steve Nash did as GM is get on the phone and try to hook up sponsors. It would be nice to have Tristan there but they are just exhibition games.

Someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but doesn't the NBA pay into USA basketball?
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Perhaps this exhibition tour is not considered a FIBA sanctioned event since we're not competing in the tournament, just playing random friendlies. That's my best guess.

Comment

• kopite91 wrote: View Post

scroll forward to 3:15

scroll forward to 1:29

And now apparently we don't want enough lol!
                    His defense on Toronto radio (Fan 590)
                    http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/p...-10)---Xpm.mp3

Take it as you will.

Comment

• Lol does this dude must great at PR cuz that was one helluva backtrack!
                      Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

• Finally got around listening to a good chunk of it.

See... I understand where Whitlock is getting at, but it's still incorrect. Sure, the USA has stereotypes of gun-loving, typical brashness and obesity. The point of impartial, objective journalism is eliminate those stereotypes. To eliminate the stereotype that the only sport that exists in Canada is hockey or that Asian people suck at driving. Whitlock doesn't have to use a stereotype to typecast a basketball player. Yet he does use it as the crux of his argument instead of using arguments with facts and stats. What's even funnier was how he said that "other NBA execs and NBA people say this" instead of admitting that these are his beliefs. I bet those are the same individuals who thought that TMac was an individual who lacked "killer instinct" (cause ESPN loves using such terminology) just because of his droopy face.
                        Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

• The one thing I'll respect Whitlock on is that he was called out and he was man enough to go on Canadian media and defend what he said. Not everyone in the US media would do that. 'Nuff respect there. But you're right kopite, he's using something as flawed as stereotypes as a crutch.

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                            Sad to not see Anthony Bennet on this trip ...
                            i really like what I see in Jordan Bachynski for a big man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGxxgrghENI

I think Tyler Ennis would have benefited going .. How much meaningful minutes is he going to get with Suns this season ..

Comment

• So what time is the game and is it being broadcasted?

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                                So what time is the game and is it being broadcasted?
                                I was tweeted this .

http://4d.rtvslo.si/zivo/tvs2

2PM
                                Last edited by guyroch; Thu Jul 24, 2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X