Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada Basketball

Post Thanks / Like

They have already punched their ticket to Worlds, but if they win today they will face the winner of the other semi for gold.....more than likely the USA.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    I liked Leo as a coach, I thought he did well with what he had. Jay will be fine once he has a roster that has the right combination of international experience with youth and veterans.
    All I know is Steve Nash has made many coaches look like geniuses while he has played and Jay can be put on that list ...

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Brooks is looking really solid in this game. Couple other players as well, but he is really standing out.

Post Thanks / Like

Two man team, Brooks and Gill Caesar. Today's game went to overtime. The US doubled the score on Argentina yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Two man team, Brooks and Gill Caesar. Today's game went to overtime. The US doubled the score on Argentina yesterday.
    At the Junior age levels it will be hard to beat the US, their player pool depth is just too much right now, but we are showing consistency and that is huge.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

This is really good. Finally, Canada is investing well in team sports other than hockey. It all starts with the grassroots/juniors. The seed has been planted in the last FIBA Americas. They had a decent showing despite not qualifying. Most of the members of that team are young, and there are some key differences in FIBA rules and NBA rules.

IN the last FIBA Americas, they lacked a perimeter scorer (Andrew Nicholson led the team in scoring). So if they're gonna have Stauskas, Wiggins, Bennett, Ennis, that could be lethal.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The U.S get regularly challenged in junior tournaments by the top European teams. Can recall two very entertaining games against Serbia last year. They've lost a few world championships in U/19 in recent memory.
    Will take a lot more than having a bunch of NBA players for Canada to be a good international team, but yeh that's already been said above. The same guys consistently turning out year after year and building a strong foundation is a must. Or else you'll just be like France. I always felt they should do better in International tournaments, full of NBA players, look good on paper but don't really do much. Although they went okay in London.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

At the Junior age levels it will be hard to beat the US, their player pool depth is just too much right now, but we are showing consistency and that is huge.
    It must be hard for the Americans to pick a team with how vast their country is and how many under 18 players are playing in the U.S at that age group ..

The one thing about the present Day Jr Canadians, is with AUU programs and some Canadians playing in U.S High Schools it means they won't be intiminated by their opponent and their is no " unknown factor " cause they have gone against these guys on a regular basis ..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BigCamB wrote: View Post
    The U.S get regularly challenged in junior tournaments by the top European teams. Can recall two very entertaining games against Serbia last year. They've lost a few world championships in U/19 in recent memory.
    Will take a lot more than having a bunch of NBA players for Canada to be a good international team, but yeh that's already been said above. The same guys consistently turning out year after year and building a strong foundation is a must. Or else you'll just be like France. I always felt they should do better in International tournaments, full of NBA players, look good on paper but don't really do much. Although they went okay in London.
    France is the reigning European Champion, and that is a huge accomplishment, so I would say good on paper and good on the floor. They took silver at the same championships in 2001 and were 5th place finishers at worlds in 2006.

10. Like BigCamB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 2KJ wrote: View Post
    This is really good. Finally, Canada is investing well in team sports other than hockey. It all starts with the grassroots/juniors. The seed has been planted in the last FIBA Americas. They had a decent showing despite not qualifying. Most of the members of that team are young, and there are some key differences in FIBA rules and NBA rules.

IN the last FIBA Americas, they lacked a perimeter scorer (Andrew Nicholson led the team in scoring). So if they're gonna have Stauskas, Wiggins, Bennett, Ennis, that could be lethal.
    In the FIBA Americas championship last summer the Canadian team did have a perimeter scorer in Brady Heslip who is a better shooter than Stauskas and the others you mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

In the FIBA Americas championship last summer the Canadian team did have a perimeter scorer in Brady Heslip who is a better shooter than Stauskas and the others you mentioned.
    A perimeter scorer is not just a guy who scores from the outside, it means scoring from a player playing one of the perimeter positions. Heslip is a one dimensional player, he does bring great 3 point shooting, but does little else to help his team. The other players that were mentioned bring different aspects to the team and in time will be a big improvement over Heslip.

Also, to say Heslip is a better shooter than Stauskas is for debate. Brady averaged 46.5% from 3 point land this past season, but only 45% from the field overall. He was not a shot creator or one who had the ball in his hands other than to shoot it. Nik on the other hand was the offensive focus for his team and averaged 44% from 3 and 47% from the field overall...all this while being tasked to create for teammates and to have the ball in his hands at the end of possessions. Add in his 3.3 assists per game to Brady's 0.5 and you see a much more dynamic player. Also as a senior Brady average just over 11 ppg, as a sophomore Nik put up over 17ppg.

I won't even bother with what Wiggings and the others bring.

Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

France is the reigning European Champion, and that is a huge accomplishment, so I would say good on paper and good on the floor. They took silver at the same championships in 2001 and were 5th place finishers at worlds in 2006.
    *Blushes* Guess I didn't pay any attention to the last Euros Lol.
    I suppose they are doing better lately then. I still felt they underachieved for a while.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone think Cavs not having Wiggins on position number 1 in their draft board has something to do with what Canadian Bennett did last year ... I know how Raptor fans got soured on Euro's after Bargs and so did Clevland do it with Canadians ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote guyroch wrote: View Post
    Does anyone think Cavs not having Wiggins on position number 1 in their draft board has something to do with what Canadian Bennett did last year ... I know how Raptor fans got soured on Euro's after Bargs and so did Clevland do it with Canadians ??
    I think we will have to wait till after the draft to see who they end up choosing or if they make any deals. They may not be soured on Bennett yet as well, he was injured and out of shape last year. IF he comes back ready to play is shape and with some confidence, we could see that he was worthy of the pick in that draft....or not.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote guyroch wrote: View Post
    Not really. I too was surprised when they picked Bennett, but they handled his situation so bad and it affected Bennett's performance and confidence. He just had surgery so he wasn't able to play for Team Canada. But the Cavs rushed him to training camp. He wasn't in shape so he had a bad game. He'll bounce back. Tristan wasn't a bad pick. They chose him because Kanter was already drafted and Jonas wasn't available until the next season (which i believe was a very smart move since that season was shortened anyways).

I do think Wiggins would work well with the Cavs. He'll be a decent 3rd option, with Kyrie and Waiters. They should bring back Hawes though. And they now got a real coach. But who knows, Wiggins might end up in Miami in exchange for Lebron lol.

Post Thanks / Like

The Cavs do not have to deal the number 1 pick if Lebron signs on. They have cap space as it stands now.

Post Thanks / Like

A perimeter scorer is not just a guy who scores from the outside, it means scoring from a player playing one of the perimeter positions. Heslip is a one dimensional player, he does bring great 3 point shooting, but does little else to help his team. The other players that were mentioned bring different aspects to the team and in time will be a big improvement over Heslip.

Also, to say Heslip is a better shooter than Stauskas is for debate. Brady averaged 46.5% from 3 point land this past season, but only 45% from the field overall. He was not a shot creator or one who had the ball in his hands other than to shoot it. Nik on the other hand was the offensive focus for his team and averaged 44% from 3 and 47% from the field overall...all this while being tasked to create for teammates and to have the ball in his hands at the end of possessions. Add in his 3.3 assists per game to Brady's 0.5 and you see a much more dynamic player. Also as a senior Brady average just over 11 ppg, as a sophomore Nik put up over 17ppg.

I won't even bother with what Wiggings and the others bring.
    Are they going to commit for the next 3 seasons? This is Basketball Canada biggest problem besides sponsorship dollars. It's a Canadian tradition to ascend to the NBA and rest up in the summer.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The Cavs do not have to deal the number 1 pick if Lebron signs on. They have cap space as it stands now.
    They don't have too but it fetches them Kevin Love or a NBA Allstar it might help alure Lebron to come back to Clevland .. Lebron is in a win now situation .. He isn't going to wait for Bennet , and this years number 1 to develop ..

Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Are they going to commit for the next 3 seasons? This is Basketball Canada biggest problem besides sponsorship dollars. It's a Canadian tradition to ascend to the NBA and rest up in the summer.
    A tradition by what, 2 players. Ahhahahha let's hope it doesn't continue.
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    A tradition by what, 2 players. Ahhahahha let's hope it doesn't continue.
    No, here's a list of players who have declined for whatever reason:

Bill Wennington
    Rick Fox (played only at 1994 World Championships)
    Jamal Magloire (10 years or more)
    Steve Nash (about 10 consecutive years)
    Samuel Delambert (sporadic involement with the SNMT)
    Tristan Thompson (declined in 2011)

Declining FIBA Americas last summer:
    Kelly Olynyk (he was not injured as reported. KO was practicing at Gonzaga the week before SNMT camp)
    Robert Sacre
    Andrew Wiggins

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information