Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Luol Deng in Toronto?

Raptors Republic Starter Dr Hannibal Lecter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

First let me say Great Vid,nice find.
    Tribute 2 Nelson Mandela,nice touch,well Done Musai Ujiri.
    As for Loul Deng crap,the guy is from Sudan..he came 2 support the cause.
    Player can't even go 2 event's and social media blows up for no reason.
    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, Deng "fits" the Raptors. I could see him getting along great on and off the court in TO.

But at 10 mil a year (give or take) do the Raptors need Deng to maintain their success? No, this team has shown it can win games with Ross starting, and Ross is still developing.

For half the price and term we could bring in Thabo Seflosha AND Mike Miller to stabilize our weak point off the bench (just examples, thinking with analytics here, please don't crucify me) and have the same success -- with considerable more flexibility to address other areas from now til 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

basically at Deng's price point i'd like a player who's a little more elite at any one skill, also slightly younger.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

@ceez and there are a lot of FA SFs that fit that bill this offseason. Especially wing defenders.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Deng would be a good fit in Toronto. They need that 2nd/3rd scoring punch who can create his own shot, and can handle the ball in crucial moments in the game. Deng is a proven veteran who has the intangibles, good basketball IQ and a team first personality. He's been a consistently above average defender (104 DRtg) and big enough to guard the likes of Lebron and KD.

Wont come cheap? Probably not. But most likely wont come expensive either. He's coming off the worst season of his career with the Cavs (which technically is not his doing) and he was traded by a team who was having a superb season without their franchise player and still managed to do all this after trading him (Deng). Also, he's most likely looking for that long term contract on a team where he can still contribute, but not that much to rely on him to play for 35-40mins a game because of his age and past injuries. It would probably fair for him to ask between 7-9mil a season, in the range Monta, Teague got.

I think at this point where the Raptors are, Deng would be perfect. He still has 3-4 good years left in him, just enough to get the Raptors to a point where they'll get used to winning. JV and Ross are only into their 3rd year in the league, and by the time Deng's contract expires, these two will be young seasoned veterans good enough to welcome those young guns who will come in to help them win a championship.
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Wed Jun 25th, 2014 at 01:15 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No to Deng. He is a poor 3pt shooter, his FG% is in decline and no longer good for his position, his defense is overrated and bound to decline with his age (30 next season), and most importantly, he will cost over $10M per season. I'd much rather spend $5M per season on someone like Aminu who is still young with upside, even though he has the same flaws as Deng.

7. Like OldSkoolCool, IROR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Aminu was actually having a great to start the year starting in NO. Was having a career year before injuries. I'd be more excited with him off the bench than Deng starting.

9. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Jclaw's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Even though deng is from Africa, it still seems somewhat random that he was there. Also heard second hand on the fan tonight that he has family in toronto. Hmmmmm...,,
    It's not just about Lowry...It's about the 3 spot.

11. Like Mediumcore liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter TrossTheBOSS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Add a poll I wanna see how many guys want deng

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TrossTheBOSS wrote: View Post
    Add a poll I wanna see how many guys want deng
    I don't. Don't think he'll be worth the price. He's gotta be looking for a good deal. I vaguely remember their being issues with Chicago not wanting to offer him what he wanted, which is part of the reason he was traded. Not sure if the number is right, but I remember 3-year $30M being an offer he didn't want.

My guess is he'd want more years at least, if not also more yearly dollars. I don't want him for 4 years, and I don't want him for $9-10 M a year....So yeah, pass.

Now, if by some miracle he signed for like 2 years $15-16M total, I'd be ok with that. But that's pretty damn unlikely.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Deng will be the best wing after James and Carmelo. Wonder if he ends up with a stupid Gay type contract because of it. Teams creating cap space who get denied by James/Carmelo might swoop in and grab Deng. Someone like Dallas probably.

Post Thanks / Like

Dallas would actually be better off with Deng over Carmelo...

Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I don't think Deng would have the same outcome from a personality or work ethic standpoint but the end result screams "HEDO!" for me.

I definitely don't want any short sighted moves that are just as likely to hinder success as advance it.

So many known "names" being thrown around here who are guys looking for one more big contract. Forget them.

Start looking at the guys coming off rookie deals or young 3rd contract guys in 2015 and 2016. Tobias Harris, Maurice Harkless as two examples of rookie deal guys and Batum as an example of a young 3rd contract FA (27 in 2016) off the top of my head.

But the reality is forget 2014 if you want GV, PP, and KL back. Personally, I do. They were huge parts of a 48 win team and if you're trying to build on what you have, you can't be losing pieces for other pieces that are unknown and expensive. By waiting 1 more year you keep what you have (KL, DD, TR, JV, PP, GV, 2014 picks, 2015 pick, cheap 2014 FA signing, resign Amir) and have more than likely have enough cap space to throw around a max contract.
    A part of me now feels that Lowry's departure can indeed happen. Then what? Deng could stabilize this team in the short run. I know he won't sign a 1-year deal (seeking his last contract), but as far as fit is concerned, he's still a decent defender at the 3 position - a position of need for the Raps.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    A part of me now feels that Lowry's departure can indeed happen. Then what? Deng could stabilize this team in the short run. I know he won't sign a 1-year deal (seeking his last contract), but as far as fit is concerned, he's still a decent defender at the 3 position - a position of need for the Raps.
    If Lowry leaves, is there even a need for Deng? We'd be in rebuild mode all over again.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    I'd rather see a 4 year approach to building a team than a 1 year quick fix.

So what if he leaves? The core of this team are all in mid-20's. If the Raptors take a step back they have time to continue accumulating assets and developing what they have until 2015 and 2016 when they can really be a free agent player.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    If Lowry leaves, is there even a need for Deng? We'd be in rebuild mode all over again.
    If Lowry signs elsewhere we will be seeing those tank avatars again.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I'd rather see a 4 year approach to building a team than a 1 year quick fix.

So what if he leaves? The core of this team are all in mid-20's. If the Raptors take a step back they have time to continue accumulating assets and developing what they have until 2015 and 2016 when they can really be a free agent player.
    The tricky part would be convincing guys like DeRozan and Amir, to keep fighting through 2 more years of crappy ball
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Stop looking for quick fixes guys. The team is not going to improve substantially next season, accept that. Let's bring back our core guys in free agency, draft well and make CHEAP low-risk/high-reward signings and trades to fill out the roster. There's no need to go for broke on deng who will be expensive as hell and not move the needle (id argue that starting him over Ross makes us worse).

I'm looking ahead more to 2015 where we have oodles of cap space and a ton of young picks and prospects available to trade. Patience is key.

Thread Information