Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Starter Uncle_Si's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote octothorp wrote: View Post
    Novak could space the floor simply by reputation, though. Nobody was leaving him wide open, except by accident. Put Bruno in as a floor-spacer, and teams are not going to cover him that tight off-the-ball until he shows that he can make them consistently. Some nights he will, some nights he won't, probably. Will he get discouraged if he misses a few wide-open looks? Will he get discouraged if he's hanging out, wide open in the corner, and his teammates aren't passing to him? You never had to worry about those things with Novak, but those can often be issues with young rookies. So no, I don't really like him being used in a Novak role because I don't want him to get into the habit of camping on offense. I'd rather see him being an active part of the offense when he's on the court. If you can get him some open looks, great, but preferably as part of an offence that asks him to be much more active than Novak typically was.

Now, if you're talking about Novak-type minutes and game situations, then yeah, I'm all for that.
    I could care less about his feelings and if team mates pass to him (which they will, the only way he even gets that role is if he's working hard in practice and knocking down those shots, plus it won't be in crunch time).

Of course he will be "camping on offence" TR did last year and it worked well for him as a stepping stone to more responsibility (hopefully) this year.

The kid needs to play and his most useful skill right now is his shooting and his length. Which is one more skill/asset than Novak had.

As far as teams not respecting his shooting, I mentioned that in the original post and said it would lead to more wide open looks for him, which isn't a bad thing.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the Brazilian Kevin Durant is too much expectations on him.
    Realistically, I think we can mold Bruno to be a Lamar Odom type of player.
    Bruno doesn't really have the handles or the pure shotcreation or offensive prowess to be a outright scorer.

He likes to crash the boards, hit the 3, defend multiple positions, and block shots.
    If he can work on his handles and his feel for the game, he can be a Lamar Odom type of player thats a mismatch for any team really.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 2kfeen wrote: View Post
    Bruno doesn't really have the handles or the pure shotcreation or offensive prowess to be a outright scorer.

He likes to crash the boards, hit the 3, defend multiple positions, and block shots.
    If he can work on his handles and his feel for the game, he can be a Lamar Odom type of player thats a mismatch for any team really.
    He's straight up hitting cross over step back fading 3s in his defenders face, highschool kids can do this yes, but whats amazing about bruno is his size and wingspan and devotion to his work. I would not compare him to fords buddy lamar.

Raptors Republic All-Star Raptorsnz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 2kfeen wrote: View Post

He's 18, he can easily still become a scorer. DeRozan was nothing but an athlete when he came into the league and now he's a great scorer. Heck, Bruno probably already has a better 3 point shot than DeRozan does.

5. Like Bendit liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guys, you gotta remember that we know almost nothing about Bruno and that he's going to change a lot before he's a final product.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Raptors Republic Rookie The_Warlord's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Nic Batum is the player for Bruno to model his game on this season. Both long, lanky with great 3 point strokes.

8. Like Bendit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    Does anyone else see Bruno being used in a similar role as Novak was last year?

I know he doesn't have the shooting prowess of Steve Novak that would force teams to keep an eye on him and open up the floor. But, maybe that's a good thing because it could lead to more open looks for him. Bruno should be able to contribute some shooting this year and it's not like Novak did anything on the defensive end anyway so Bruno would probably be an upgrade there right away just based on his length. Besides, how many times did Novak miss wide open 3's?

Seems like a perfect fit to me.
    Since a big part of Novak's role was to draw attention and spread the floor, I think Bruno's got some work to do in getting a reputation as a threat before he can fill "a similar role".

Quote Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    I could care less about his feelings and if team mates pass to him (which they will, the only way he even gets that role is if he's working hard in practice and knocking down those shots, plus it won't be in crunch time).

Of course he will be "camping on offence" TR did last year and it worked well for him as a stepping stone to more responsibility (hopefully) this year.

The kid needs to play and his most useful skill right now is his shooting and his length. Which is one more skill/asset than Novak had.

As far as teams not respecting his shooting, I mentioned that in the original post and said it would lead to more wide open looks for him, which isn't a bad thing.
    Dude, Bruno is an 18 year old that has never even played at U.S. college level. Patience is needed. I can guarantee you that for the 2014-15 season:
    1. getting Bruno open looks is way down on the Raps priority list in the offensive sets
    2. Bruno getting open look 3s is way down on the Raps development priority list for Bruno.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote chico wrote: View Post
    Since a big part of Novak's role was to draw attention and spread the floor, I think Bruno's got some work to do in getting a reputation as a threat before he can fill "a similar role".

Dude, Bruno is an 18 year old that has never even played at U.S. college level. Patience is needed. I can guarantee you that for the 2014-15 season:
    1. getting Bruno open looks is way down on the Raps priority list in the offensive sets
    2. Bruno getting open look 3s is way down on the Raps development priority list for Bruno.
    I agree with the first....

But given that as a caveat, if the Raptors do play Bruno, I expect open look 3s to be quite high on the priority list for Bruno in terms of offence. His 3 pter is arguably his most developed and closest to NBA level skill. I would expect that apart from wide open layups/dunks he gets cutting or in transition, they'd want to keep nurturing his 3 pt shooting ability. Can't use him for much else, and the faster he gets good/confident with it at the NBA level, the more it will open up other things for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I agree with the first....

But given that as a caveat, if the Raptors do play Bruno, I expect open look 3s to be quite high on the priority list for Bruno in terms of offence. His 3 pter is arguably his most developed and closest to NBA level skill. I would expect that apart from wide open layups/dunks he gets cutting or in transition, they'd want to keep nurturing his 3 pt shooting ability. Can't use him for much else, and the faster he gets good/confident with it at the NBA level, the more it will open up other things for him.
    That's just it. "If" they play him. I get your point that from what it appears, his most ready asset to offer is his 3 pointer. Thing is, except for garbage time, I don't expect he'll see the floor much in real games this first season. That said, whatever scoring prowess he offers will not be needed, and knowing Casey, the one thing he'll be demanding of him isn't scoring, but individual and team defensive development. My theory anyways, and partly based on the handling of JV and Ross to date. Casey's been pretty transparent in his "give me defense, and I'll give you PT" approach with the kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Dwane Casey said on Sportsnet 590 today that 3 point shooting would be a main priority for next season.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Reboc wrote: View Post
    Dwane Casey said on Sportsnet 590 today that 3 point shooting would be a main priority for next season.
    Is there a link to his interview? What else did he talk about?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    Is there a link to his interview? What else did he talk about?
    http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/TD_...y_August28.mp3

and

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/p...g-28---6pm.mp3
    Last edited by MixxAOR; Fri Aug 29th, 2014 at 09:47 AM.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Casey is also improving....his interview answering skills.

Post Thanks / Like

saw an instragram photo of Bruno today....looks like he has put on about ten pounds of muscle already.
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift 10) Rocwell 11) Everyone

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

pic?

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://instagram.com/p/sSrQ6sGPaM/

He still looks skinny to me lol
    Masai treats the Knicks like they are his personal farm team system, where he can cultivate assets for the future. It's not right or fair, but he's THE WARLORD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post

Might just be a little skinny his whole career, it's not to bad, he has the length.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    Might just be a little skinny his whole career, it's not to bad, he has the length.
    He's still really skinny, and he'll probably have a lanky, somewhat wiry frame his whole career. However his frame looks like it can add a decent amount of muscle, while also staying really lean. It's not hard to see him becoming a strong 230-240lbs.

Raptors Republic Starter godkingleonidas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be dressed for capoeira. #gofightwin

Page 42 of 59 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 52 ... LastLast

Thread Information