Everything Bruno Caboclo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Does anyone know when Raptors actually get their own D-League team...like when they start playing games? I think it would be huge for Bruno and could really quicken his game readiness for the NBA
    Masai said they were pushing and hoping for next season.

I am not sure how far along they are in the process.

As a point of reference, Charlotte just announced a new dleague team:

May 4, 2015 – Hornets Sports & Entertainment announced today that the organization intends to launch its own NBA D-League team with the hope of beginning play for the 2016-17 season. The franchise today is sending an RFP to seven cities throughout the Carolinas seeking the best home for the D-League club, which would be owned and operated by HSE. Cities receiving the RFP include Asheville, Fayetteville, Greensboro and Raleigh, North Carolina, as well as Charleston, Columbia and Greenville, South Carolina.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/hornets-s...-d-league-team
    We will see. Seems if not 2015-16 then definitely 2016-17. For Bruno's sake, and any draft pick this season, I hope it is 15-16.

Comment

• I need the Dleague team ready for next year, screw the rookies.

My SANITY demands it

Comment

• Great piece by Stackmack on the average day for Bruno this year. Some good insights into his training, weight gain, etc. What really stood out was James Johnson's involvement with him this year:

Returning to the gym around 3:30 p.m., Caboclo begins his pre-game workout, spending 30 minutes on the court before the team walkthrough. This workout incorporates shooting and individual work, but also one-on-one. Midway through the season, James Johnson began joining Caboclo.

“For Bruno that’s amazing,” Mahlalela said. “James is a great defender, so for Bruno to understand the space, the angles, we coach him through it, give him details through it. Then to defend J.J. is huge [for Bruno]. He’s a strong guy and Bruno has to use the strength he has and build it up.”
        Caboclo spent games on the bench for the Raptors. What fans didn’t see were the post-game workouts on the practice court where Johnson would meet his rookie for yet another workout. Switching his suit for practice gear, the two would have another round of basketball before finally calling it a day around 11:15 p.m.

“Just recognizing how good he was and wanting a one-on-one parter [is how the joint workouts started],” Johnson said. “Someone I can play one-on-one with that’s going to make us both better. [Caboclo is] long and athletic. He’s a tough kid. I know I didn't have any of that when I was a rookie. When I wasn’t playing I was just down and out. To find him, I’d say we kind of found each other.”

Outside of the coaching staff, no one has seen more of Caboclo’s improvement this season than Johnson.

“He’s only 18, 19, but he works out every day, he trains every day and works like he’s been in the league for years,” Johnson said. “That’s a credit to his professional team back home where he’s from. Not a lot of U.S. kids get that opportunity. He was already a pro. He already has the mindset of a pro.”
        “Most of the moves I can do on a lot of people, offensively in the game, I can’t make on Bruno,” Johnson said. “If I can make a good move on Bruno, I know it’ll work on 85, 90 percent of the guys in the NBA.”

While there’s still plenty to learn for Caboclo, coaches raved about his work ethic throughout the season. Early to the arena and late to leave, he’s eager to soak up whatever basketball knowledge he can. Sometimes that means hanging out in the locker room or team lounge area, picking his teammates’ brains and learning slang words to add to his English dictionary.

“He’s usually asking if we can start earlier and I have to tell him, ‘No, we have to preserve your body,’” Mahlalela said. “He has the passion to want to get better. And for someone who is not playing, he’s dealing with it so well.”
        Ujiri shared that Caboclo came into the season weighing 207 pounds. Sticking to the training and eating regimen prescribed to him by the team has him up to 221 pounds.

“He’s tough,” Johnson said. “He’s gotten stronger. He loves contact. That’s rare for a young kid that wants to go in there and take the shoulder hits. Usually they’re frail and just want to throw stuff up, but he likes the contact and he likes to go find it.”
        Check it out: http://www.nba.com/raptors/day-rooki...-bruno-caboclo
        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Shantz wrote: View Post
          Great piece by Stackmack on the average day for Bruno this year. Some good insights into his training, weight gain, etc. What really stood out was James Johnson's involvement with him this year:

This really made me happy.

I have a feeling this kid is gonna be more ready than people think next year. I mean, having a guy like JJ rave about you like that is impressive. Plus, it shows that his Defense is better than it was when he 1st came in. That's a good thing.
          Axel wrote:
          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
          KeonClark wrote:
          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
          KeonClark wrote:
          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Great piece by Stackmack on the average day for Bruno this year. Some good insights into his training, weight gain, etc. What really stood out was James Johnson's involvement with him this year:

Listening to how hard JJ works every night makes me even more frustrated that he didn't play during the playoffs.

Comment

• I'll believe it when I see it
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Nice article. Good to know he's getting so much work in. It's like an extra off-season of improvement.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

One of the reasons Johnson likes working out with Caboclo is the 7-foot-7 wingspan.

“Most of the moves I can do on a lot of people, offensively in the game, I can’t make on Bruno,” Johnson said. “If I can make a good move on Bruno, I know it’ll work on 85, 90 percent of the guys in the NBA.”

Comment

• Please be ready next year. It would be wonderful.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• That article makes me more intrigued about JJ than it does Bruno.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                        That article makes me more intrigued about JJ than it does Bruno.
                        JJ seems like a great, great teammate

It speaks wonders when you're the guy the rookies look up to and not the stars of the team.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

It speaks wonders when you're the guy the rookies look up to and not the stars of the team.
                          He does… when you read this article.

When you look at the big picture of his career where he's got himself launched from Chicago, Toronto, Memphis, and the league all together in 5 years…

Like I said. Very intriguing.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                            He does… when you read this article.

When you look at the big picture of his career where he's got himself launched from Chicago, Toronto, Memphis, and the league all together in 5 years…

Like I said. Very intriguing.
                            To be fair. During his first stint in Toronto he was the much better player between DD and himself and Colangelo decided to stay bent over for DD and give him every opportunity compared to JJ

JJ is incredibly talented, but it seems as though he hasn't found the coach who will let him be him, and instead try to force him into very small roles...

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                              To be fair. During his first stint in Toronto he was the much better player between DD and himself and Colangelo decided to stay bent over for DD and give him every opportunity compared to JJ

JJ is incredibly talented, but it seems as though he hasn't found the coach who will let him be him, and instead try to force him into very small roles...
                              That's not "fair"… it's completely made up. DeRozan has always been the better talent and the better player over Johnson since they were literally in grade school.

And beyond that, the reason Johnson was originally traded from Toronto was never a DD vs. JJ debate, it's because he wasn't willing to accept his role (just like Chicago and Memphis)… hence my original post.
                              Last edited by Fully; Thu May 7, 2015, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

Fully wrote: View Post
                                That's not "fair"… it's completely made up. DeRozan has always been the better talent and the better player over Johnson since they were literally in grade school.

And beyond that, the reason Johnson was originally traded from Toronto was never a DD vs. JJ debate, it's because he wasn't willing to accept his role (just like Chicago and Memphis)… hence my original post.
                                Yeah...JJ is more talented than DD and if you can't see it I'm sorry

I definitely thought JJ deserved more of a chance the last time around. And I'm pretty sure he and DD got into it during his first stint where JJ thought he was better but was confused why DD got free reign...hence Colangelo running to suck off his draft picks by trading away JJ for cents on the dollar

Comment

Working...
                                X