No announcement yet.

Everything James Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So basically in the 70 games he played he averaged around 19 minute lol. How is that any different from what I said? Some of those 12 games had to do with injuries as well.
    Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue Oct 13, 2015, 05:02 PM.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      So basically in the 70 games he played he averaged around 19 minute lol. How is that any different from what I said? Some of those 12 games had to do with injuries as well.
      I don't remember JJ ever being injured last year so 12 DNP's is pretty dumb. What really made his minutes perplexing was that the starter at SF sucked hairy butthole, Terrence Ross (worst DBPM in the league at SF), so JJ was kept on the bench for a mix of undersized to extremely undersized SF's (GV at SF for the WIN) that all were performing well below average. Now that we have Carroll (a way above average SF) I'd be fine with JJ getting the same minutes as last year, and hopefully Casey relegates his 3 PG lineups to his dreams and not the court.

TL/DR, I could care less about JJ's minutes this year because we have Carroll, but his minutes last year didn't make sense.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        I don't remember JJ ever being injured last year so 12 DNP's is pretty dumb. What really made his minutes perplexing was that the starter at SF sucked hairy butthole, Terrence Ross (worst DBPM in the league at SF), so JJ was kept on the bench for a mix of undersized to extremely undersized SF's (GV at SF for the WIN) that all were performing well below average. Now that we have Carroll (a way above average SF) I'd be fine with JJ getting the same minutes as last year, and hopefully Casey relegates his 3 PG lineups to his dreams and not the court.

TL/DR, I could care less about JJ's minutes this year because we have Carroll, but his minutes last year didn't make sense.
        And this whole thing is getting distorted. It was never about getting JJ a buttload of minutes last year. Many of us wanted him to play more, but only because he was often situationally the best option we had....and yet frequently ignored. It was frustrating because we had to listen to Casey say shit like "we don't have someone to match up against a Paul Pierce", when he was given a guy to specifically match up in those situations first and foremost.

It wasn't "Casey's an idiot for not playing JJ more". It was "Casey's an idiot for trying to guard a 250 lb SF with a 200lb SG, and for complaining about lacking a 250lb SF when there's one sitting right on his bench".

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

JJ twisted his ankle at the begin of the season
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            It was frustrating because we had to listen to Casey say shit like "we don't have someone to match up against a Paul Pierce", when he was given a guy to specifically match up in those situations first and foremost.
            One of my greatest hits!
            We make mistakes. That's why they put erasers on pencils.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
              Raps fans love them some James Johnson. If only Dwayne Casey, Tom Thibodeau, Keith Smart, Dave Joerger and the front offices in Chicago, Toronto, Memphis and Sacramento would stop conspiring against him to hold him back, then he'd be a star.
              Pretty much this.

Johnson has been a malcontent/headache at every stop of his NBA career and has managed to wear out his welcome in Chicago, Sacramento, Memphis and Toronto (twice now) despite exhibiting a lot of talent at every single stop. He played himself out of the entire league before signing with Memphis in 2013, watching from home for the first few weeks of the season because no one else wanted him. He was lights out for Memphis that season too… you know, until he played himself out of the rotation entirely prior to the playoffs and the team wanted nothing to do with him when he became a free agent. There's a reason why his return to Toronto last summer was deemed something of a last chance for him, and why they got him for so cheap despite his obvious talents. (To say nothing of the domestic abuse charge that came in the summer of 2014).

His dip in minutes last season came on the heels of a reported clash with Casey and some teammates. Now I know most of you think so lowly of Casey that you actually think JJ should be held up as some type of hero for this, but no, that is absolutely not the case. Maybe if it was an isolated incident or out of character for JJ - but not when it so closely mirrors the problematic behaviour and attitude that seems to stop him from playing two full seasons in a row for any given team. If Casey is a bozo for not making it work with JJ, then like Slaw said above, so is Thibodeau, Smart and Joerger. At some point, you need to realize the common denominator in all of this.

There are plenty of legit reasons to criticize Casey without acting like he just woke up one morning on a whim last season and stopped playing JJ because he felt like it. Yes, it was frustrating to see him pinned to the bench when we so badly needed a player exactly like him, but if it was because he was acting like an idiot behind the scenes then I'm okay with it. And if that's the reason that he still finds himself on the outside of the rotation looking in while guys who are more on board with the culture of the team battle for the minutes that should be his... then I guess I'm fine with that too.

The person I get frustrated in this whole thing isn't Casey, it's Johnson.. for being a headache to the point that he buries himself. Just like he has at every single stop of his NBA career so far and probably will with his next team too.
              Last edited by Fully; Tue Oct 13, 2015, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                Raps fans love them some James Johnson. If only Dwayne Casey, Tom Thibodeau, Keith Smart, Dave Joerger and the front offices in Chicago, Toronto, Memphis and Sacramento would stop conspiring against him to hold him back, then he'd be a star.
                we aren't allowed to mention the coaches being smarter than us. it is against the grain of popular thought

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                  Pretty much this.

Johnson has been a malcontent/headache at every stop of his NBA career and has managed to wear out his welcome in Chicago, Sacramento, Memphis and Toronto (twice now) despite exhibiting a lot of talent at every single stop. He played himself out of the entire league before signing with Memphis in 2013, watching from home for the first few weeks of the season because no one else wanted him. He was lights out for Memphis that season too… you know, until he played himself out of the rotation entirely prior to the playoffs and the team wanted nothing to do with him when he became a free agent. There's a reason why his return to Toronto last summer was deemed something of a last chance for him, and why they got him for so cheap despite his obvious talents. (To say nothing of the domestic abuse charge that came in the summer of 2014).

His dip in minutes last season came on the heels of a reported clash with Casey and some teammates. Now I know most of you think so lowly of Casey that you actually think JJ should be held up as some type of hero for this, but no, that is absolutely not the case. Maybe if it was an isolated incident or out of character for JJ - but not when it so closely mirrors the problematic behaviour and attitude that seems to stop him from playing two full seasons in a row for any given team. If Casey is a bozo for not making it work with JJ, then like Slaw said above, so is Thibodeau, Smart and Joerger. At some point, you need to realize the common denominator in all of this.

There are plenty of legit reasons to criticize Casey without acting like he just woke up one morning on a whim last season and stopped playing JJ because he felt like it. Yes, it was frustrating to see him pinned to the bench when we so badly needed a player exactly like him, but if it was because he was acting like an idiot behind the scenes then I'm okay with it. And if that's the reason that he still finds himself on the outside of the rotation looking in while guys who are more on board with the culture of the team battle for the minutes that should be his... then I guess I'm fine with that too.

The person I get frustrated in this whole thing isn't Casey, it's Johnson.. for being a headache to the point that he buries himself. Just like he has at every single stop of his NBA career so far and probably will with his next team too.
                  Unfortunately, this is going to be ignored...
                  I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Article from "Morning Coffee" speaks directly to this question.

"Of the ten five-man lineups that Johnson played in the most during the 2014-15 regular season, all feature him at small forward."

"Who's the Raptors Backup Small Forward?"

Comment

• Looks like ross is our backup sf then.

One more year of casey....one more year...

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Comment

• I think a trade deadline move is coming for this team. Hopefully for a star but not likely
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• You guys are getting all worked for the back 3 position who would probably play 10 mins a game. Relax, JJ not playing the back 3 isn't going to make or break our season guys.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post

There are plenty of legit reasons to criticize Casey without acting like he just woke up one morning on a whim last season and stopped playing JJ because he felt like it.
                            Bold 1 - except that same concept applies to Casey and the double standard he employs.

Bold 2 - I don't think anyone has said anything that indicates Casey acting on a whim. But if Casey's job is to win playoff games, he has to put the team's success ahead of any issues he has with JJ. Playing Tyler Hansbrough on Paul Pierce, without trying JJ, demonstrated that Casey was more willing to try and prove his point than to put the team's success first.

I also really don't put much weight into the theory that Johnson is a "malcontent or headache". JJ has been frustrated with his role on multiple teams, but it's not like he become a disruptive player with public outbursts (like Marcus Morris in Phx last year for example). JJ kept all the issues "in the family", in private, in the locker room. He never went to the media and threw the coaches, teammates or teams under the bus. That sounds like someone acting like a professional despite his frustrations.

As for his frustrations, are they not warranted?

In Chicago, 11 MPG as a rookie, dropped to under 10 with just 13 GP as a sophomore on a good Bulls team (tops in the East). Hard situation for a young guy to crack the lineup.

In Sac, he was getting 16 MPG, while stuck behind John Salmons (30MPG) and Francisco Garcia (17.8MPG) on a 28 win team. On a losing team, you'd hope that the coach would play the younger (and arguably more talented) player.

In Memphis, he played more minutes in the playoffs per game than he did with us last year, so it's not like he completely disappeared from his role on a much better team than us.

JJ is a role player, but when the time comes that you need that role player, you play JJ.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Just watching Pistons vs Pacers on LP.

You see in arena stuff during breaks.

In Drummond highlight package they have him throwing the elbow in to JJ.

Lol - Detroit smh

Comment

• If JJ can only shoot man he'd be an all star. JJ is like Draymond Green without the 3pt shot.

Green was a horrible shooter when he first got into the league. Now he's a legit 3point threat. I don't understand how guys like JJ and DeRozan continues to shoot like shit from behind the arc. DD airballed another 3 last night lol.

Wiggins is another one. He was more of a mid range/slasher guy last year. Now he's a legit 3pt threat. His outside shooting has IMPROVED so much this year it's crazy.
                                Last edited by The Great One; Sat Nov 21, 2015, 03:22 PM.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X