No announcement yet.

Everything Bruno Caboclo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wonder why the Raptors wouldn't just stash Bruno for a year. That way they get a year of development overseas and get an additional year in his rookie scale salary.

It's nice that he gets to play with the professional team during practice and perhaps for a few minutes here and there.. but that's a whole year they are wasting on a juicy contract.

Comment

• They want Caboclo to develop within the team system and culture.
      Myself (March 2014):
      The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        I wonder why the Raptors wouldn't just stash Bruno for a year. That way they get a year of development overseas and get an additional year in his rookie scale salary.

It's nice that he gets to play with the professional team during practice and perhaps for a few minutes here and there.. but that's a whole year they are wasting on a juicy contract.
        I think the big reason is that he's super raw no matter how you slice it, so how do you find a good situation for him internationally? No big club in Europe will play a kid as young and raw as him. They are trying to win too, and don't really focus on developing youngsters. Especially if they have no chance of being in the picture long-term. Throw in that the off-court physical development will not even come close to what Bruno will get with Toronto, and is also the area where they might want to accelerate his development the most, and it makes bringing him now make more sense.

Stashing him for a year may be nice from a cap standpoint. Don't add his 4-year rookie deal til he's closer to ready....but I think finding a situation for him is much harder than some might think.

Again, top-tier Euro clubs are not good options for Bruno. And worse teams? Well they'll be playing worse basketball and while he could get minutes, it would be minutes where due to the team's shittiness, they're not as valuable as playing with an NBA or top-tier Euro team. May as well let him get such minutes in the D-League, where he'll also adapt to NBA rules/style more, and where he'll continue to be exposed to the English language as well.

Something to consider when thinking of wasting a year of his rookie deal at this early stage: Bruno is not only raw, but young and doesn't speak English. His first year will be mostly a throwaway, and a year of being stashed elsewhere probably wouldn't do much to change that.

Comment

• Holly Mackenzie article:

Back in Toronto after stints in Vancouver and Las Vegas for workouts and basketball camps, Caboclo is serving as a guest counselor at the Americas Team Camp being held at Ryerson’s Mattamy Athletic Center.

Hosting the best young basketball players from Argentina, Brazil, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Canada, the camp counted Caboclo as a participant only a year ago. The rookie isn’t the only representative present from the Raptors organization.

Referring to the success first-time All-Star DeMar DeRozan found in his fifth NBA season, Mahlalela credited the work ethic he has had since the first day he showed up in Toronto.

“Seeing DeMar, working with him for so many years and now he’s an All-Star it’s like you’re a part of that,” Mahlalela said. “It’s such an amazing thing, to see a kid, as they come in as a kid and they grow up into a responsible young man, basketball player.”

Two months into working with Caboclo, Mahlalela sees the same dedication to getting better.

“Oh it’s exceptional,” he said. “This next season is going to be great because his learning curve is going to go up, it’s great. Every day this summer he’s gotten better. Pre-season and [regular] season, he’s going to get better every single day. He’s a sponge. He loves basketball. I can’t get him off the basketball court, which is good, such an amazing quality to have. He loves to work. It’s perfect.”
          After Las Vegas Summer League, Caboclo headed to Vancouver to work out with Raptors training staff members, Lucas Nogueira and DeAndre Daniels. In between Vancouver and Toronto he headed back to Vegas to attend Tim Grgurich’s camp. Since being drafted in June, his English has improved and he is starting to become comfortable speaking with media.
          While Caboclo’s potential is exciting for all of the coaching staff, what sticks out to Mahlalela is the character he has seen from the 18-year-old.

“He’s an exceptional human being,” Mahlalela said. “Forget basketball player. To go through what he’s gone through, moving where he lived in Brazil to suddenly come to North America, be here this entire summer, Vancouver, New York, [Houston], Las Vegas, Rookie Transition Program, Tim Grgurich’s camp, [meet] all of our staff, media interviews, to be able to transition that and have a good calm head on his shoulders and smile his way through tells me he’s an amazing person.
          http://www.nba.com/raptors/mackenzie_08194

#Bruno2016

Comment

• Someone get this man a Primo Pasta commercial!

Comment

• Loves to work?

Fuck yes.
              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• DeRozan 2.0 I'll take it
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                  Someone get this man a Primo Pasta commercial!
                  The local schmancy Brazilian steakhouse should sign him up if they are smart. Keep his calories up as well.

http://www.thecopa.ca/

Comment

• Encouraging article.. makes me think that despite Casey's aversion to playing young guys, Bruno could get spot minutes as a reward for hard work in practice.

Comment

• http://instagram.com/p/r7b2tEOHhn/?modal=true
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• His form is looking beautiful.

Kid is going to be good.

How good? That is my only question.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Good jumper already, though still not ready to play big minutes, he's nowhere near completely raw.
                            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                              Good jumper already, though still not ready to play big minutes, he's nowhere near completely raw.
                              He's pretty much at the same level as most of the college freshman that were in the draft, outside of a few exceptions. Just look at someone like Aaron Gordon. Would you bet serious money Gordon is ready for NBA minutes before Bruno? I sure wouldn't.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                                He's pretty much at the same level as most of the college freshman that were in the draft, outside of a few exceptions. Just look at someone like Aaron Gordon. Would you bet serious money Gordon is ready for NBA minutes before Bruno? I sure wouldn't.
                                Bruno's biggest obstacle is that he's competing with JJ and Ross for minutes.

Comment

Working...
                                X