Post Thanks / Like

Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    When does Summer League start?
    End of july i think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote keefec wrote: View Post
    Do the raptors have a d league affiliate?? I thought it was like the erie bayhawks are something but not sure

The 2014-2015 season has brought a lot of shuffling with affiliations. We used to have a shared affiliation of the Bakersfield Jam (with several other teams), but the Jam are now affiliated with Phoenix only. Most teams only have one affiliation, except for the Fort Wayne Mad Ants who are shared by the Hornets, Pacers, and Bucks.

Currently, we have no affiliate, meaning that Bruno wouldn't have the opportunity to be developed within our system/structure and his playing time would be determined by a coach with very different priorities than the Raptors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote 007 wrote: View Post
    When does Summer League start?
    Go to summer league thread

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

So, interesting. I was just checking out his Liga Americas box-scores. A 5 minutes, 0 pts game. A 9 minutes, 2 pts game. And then this:

http://www.eurobasket.com/boxScores/...18088_2807.asp

30 minutes, 24 points on 11 shots, including 4-of-4 from 3. And then a coaches decision, DNP the rest of the tournament. Back in the Brazillian League after January, He started a few games, performed well, and then was DNP for the last couple months of the season. So it makes sense that nobody had a chance to scout him. Because other than a couple games, he was simply riding the pine. But overall, he produced when he was in there.

At the same time, Masai couldn't have gone down there to watch this kid on the bench. He must have had some assurance that the kid would get playing time on the days he went down to watch. So presumably other scouts could do the same. Any chance that Masai got the team to agree not to showcase him for other NBA teams (in return for a generous buyout, perhaps)?

Further to my conspiracy theory: Reason for thinking Ujiri was at that 24 point game: Ujiri doesn't seem to go to a lot of road games. But the day after that game, Ujiri was in Brooklyn (famously hugging Lowry in the tunnel after the game). Why was he in New York that day? Well, direct flights from Bogota (where Caboclo was playing) to Toronto happen only about once a week, but non-stop flights from Bogota to New York happen daily. So if Ujiri was at that game, it would make sense for him to be in New York the next day.

Okay, that's all the Internet sleuthing I've got.
    Last edited by octothorp; Fri Jun 27th, 2014 at 01:46 PM.
    tank-agnostic

5. Like blackjitsu, OldSkoolCool, JimiCliff liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    On paper, ignoring the out of nowhere aspect, this kid is a stud. 6'9, 7'7 wingspan, youngest player in the draft, willing defender, reasonably athletic, 3 point range. I mean what!?! That's better on paper than most of the lottery.
    Casey claimed he knows for a fact he is one of the best athletes in this draft. They must have done teh combine testing. He didn't mention vertical, claimed his quickness and ability to cover the floor was off the charts. Lateral quickness with an amazing wingspan is great news.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Given his freakish wingspan, I wonder what his standing reach is?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    Casey claimed he knows for a fact he is one of the best athletes in this draft. They must have done teh combine testing. He didn't mention vertical, claimed his quickness and ability to cover the floor was off the charts. Lateral quickness with an amazing wingspan is great news.
    Well he is bound grow another inch or 2 and probably will be able to maintain his quickness... Which would make him a freak athlete being 6'11 with similar footspeed than most players who are 6'6

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Given his freakish wingspan, I wonder what his standing reach is?
    Probably around 9 foot lol, watching the videos, I swear he can touch his kneecaps without bending down....

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be incredibly surprised if this kid is wearing a Raptors jersey next season. It's gonna be telling how he fares in Summer League. I'm pretty sure the defense I witnessed in the clips I viewed was not really close to what he will see this summer. If he can bang around with bigger, faster players, and actually secure a roster spot with the Raps, that would be amazing IMO. But I just can't imagine him getting alot of playing time, and that's probably what he needs to maximize his development. If he can adapt quickly, that would blow my mind, if not then I hope they send him some place where he can get significant minutes.

Raptors Republic All-Star saints91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote keefec wrote: View Post
    Well he is bound grow another inch or 2 and probably will be able to maintain his quickness... Which would make him a freak athlete being 6'11 with similar footspeed than most players who are 6'6
    How do we know he's going to grow two more inches? I'm happy with 6'9 and 7'7" wingspan, if he stays that height it's still amazing and a great size for a small forward. If he can put on 20-30 pounds of muscle and keep his speed, he could be an elite defender under Casey

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote saints91 wrote: View Post
    How do we know he's going to grow two more inches? I'm happy with 6'9 and 7'7" wingspan, if he stays that height it's still amazing and a great size for a small forward. If he can put on 20-30 pounds of muscle and keep his speed, he could be an elite defender under Casey
    Well obviously we don't, but he is not even 19 yet so there is a chance that he does grow, the fact that Giannis Antetokoumpo grew 2 inches throughout last season is sort of influencing the general to think that Caboclo is going to grow as well, but no doubt his frame is already monstrous and would be enough to have the potential to be a lockdown defender in the league

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228529

this dude predicted that he'll be drafted lmao

15. Like Scraptor, MunsMunny, OptimalOptimist liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's all jump on the bandwagon.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

17. Like MixxAOR liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228529

this dude predicted that he'll be drafted lmao
    wth spurs, even their fans have that much knowledge about international emerging prospects.... smh.

19. Like Just Is, Scraptor, blackjitsu, MixxAOR liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned this on another thread i like the pick. Looking at the draft board again. Not really interested in any of the players left after the Harris pick. Napier is a poor man's Kemba Walker. Not a big fan of Anderson and Early's game. You all know what i think of Capela. I'm big on character.

Stokes and McDaniels are 2 players that i like. But they're both undersized at their position.

So yeah i have no problem taking a high risk high reward player at 20. Like i said before, worst case scenario = bench player, which is the norm when you're picking in the 20's. Best scenario = star.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So, I got a few things to say:

1. I'm no longer high on Capela.

2. I like this kid more than Inglis. He's not as strong yet, but he moves way smoother. From the videos I've seen, he makes everything look easy. Inglis is kinda awkward moving around.

3. I don't want him playing for the D-League or Europe or anywhere else. I want proper NBA training staff and skills coaches teaching him how to do things properly. I don't care if he plays 5 minutes or 10 minutes, I think 5 on 5 scrimmages, but most importantly constant oversight and a well laid out, long term development plan is what he needs.

4. I was kind of depressed after Ennis and Harris were taken, there weren't any other great prospects on the board. Napier's gonna be somewhere in between Chalmers (in his good years) and Cole and I'm not just saying that because the Heat grabbed him. Hood is absolute best case a less athletic, taller Ross. Worst case, a slightly more athletic Novak.

5. While this is a swing for the fence move, it's still in keeping with the asset accumulation mindset. This guy's expected outcome (weighted average of all possible outcomes) is better than anyone else's on the board. He's got a higher ceiling and a lower floor, (his distribution has thicker and longer tails) but he's the smart pick, whether or not he pans out, or at least that's the way I see it.
    Last edited by stooley; Fri Jun 27th, 2014 at 02:58 PM.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    So, I got a few things to say:

1. I'm no longer high on Capela.

2. I like this kid more than Inglis. He's not as strong yet, but he moves way smoother. From the videos I've seen, he makes everything look easy. Inglis is kinda awkward moving around.

3. I don't want him playing for the D-League or Europe or anywhere else. I want proper NBA training staff and skills coaches teaching him how to do things properly. I don't care if he plays 5 minutes or 10 minutes, I think 5 on 5 scrimmages, but most importantly constant oversight and a well laid out, long term development plan is what he needs.

4. I was kind of depressed after Ennis and Harris were taken, there weren't any other great prospects on the board. Napier's gonna be somewhere in between Chalmers (in his good years) and Cole and I'm not just saying that because the Heat grabbed him. Hood is absolute best case a less athletic, taller Ross. Worst case, a slightly more athletic Novak.

5. While this is a swing for the fence move, it's still in keeping with the asset accumulation mindset. This guy's expected outcome (weighted average of all possible outcomes) is better than anyone else on the board. He's got a higher ceiling and a lower floor, (his distribution has thicker and longer tails) but he's the smart pick, whether or not he pans out, or at least that's the way I see it.
    Just a note on Inglis, I read somewhere this morning that he broke his foot. So I agree with your comparison, and then throw in this injury to Inglis, and I'm quite a bit higher on Caboclo at the moment.

Also, on Capela, I always thought he had huge bust potential, and after finding out a bit about Caboclo, don't think Capela was a safer pick at all, especially since Bruno is a humble quiet gym rat, and Capela is an arrogant lazy nutbag.

23. Like stooley liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Freakish athlete doesn't equal good player or smart player. He has a edge he was born a freak where he goes from there ?

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody is going to read way too much into summer league...

26. Like Just Is, stooley, MixxAOR liked this post
Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information