No announcement yet.

NBA draft Grades are out ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm as skeptical as anybody, but if before the draft you told me the Raps were going to pick

-A 6'9'' guy who's a fantastic athlete with a 7'7'' wingspan
    -A guy who plays hard on D
    -Who crashes the boards
    -And despite being raw already shoots 40% from FIBA 3pt distance

I'd be pretty happy.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I'm as skeptical as anybody, but if before the draft you told me the Raps were going to pick

-A 6'9'' guy who's a fantastic athlete with a 7'7'' wingspan
      -A guy who plays hard on D
      -Who crashes the boards
      -And despite being raw already shoots 40% from FIBA 3pt distance

I'd be pretty happy.
      Agreed. But you failed to mention the following: Averaged 4.9 points per game in the Brazilian league.
      Listen I am just arguing to argue. Nobody knows how this guy turns out. If you're going to gamble, gamble big.
      Looking forward to Summer League! I still believe in Masai. He has urned the benefit of the doubt with houdini tricks up his sleeves for Bargnani and Gay. I'll give it some time.

Comment

Season wrote: View Post
        Agreed. But you failed to mention the following: Averaged 4.9 points per game in the Brazilian league.
        Listen I am just arguing to argue. Nobody knows how this guy turns out. If you're going to gamble, gamble big.
        Looking forward to Summer League! I still believe in Masai. He has urned the benefit of the doubt with houdini tricks up his sleeves for Bargnani and Gay. I'll give it some time.
        He only played 13min a game though
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Oh it's absolutely a huge gamble because he hasn't proven anything at all yet at any level. But he's so young. Sometimes people think because a kid plays in another country, if they're drafted they need to be amazing in that league. Giannis also averaged like less than 10 pts (like 7-9 or something) and a few rebounds in 2nd division Greek ball, which is pretty damn awful.

Bruno was playing limited minutes in a men's league, so it's really hard to gauge even his limited production. Roll the dice and hope the guy can become something. Again, the supposed "right now" options were none of them sure things, just things we know more about.

Comment

Bruno arriving in TDOT!

Comment

You talk about bust potential? What say you about Bruno's bust potential? I would have taken a role player any day
              IMO, this kid has zero bust potential. If he never plays a game in the NBA I would still suggest he wasn't a bust. For me, there has to be high expectations for a kid to bust, and honestly, I know so little about Bruno that I really can't expect much. And there isn't much out there to really gauge the kid, so my expectations will be very low for some time I imagine. As far as I'm concerned, this kid can only surprise, I will feel no disappointment about the pick even if he never plays a minute in the NBA.

Even though there were other players on the board that may look more likely to have an NBA career or contribute next season, I'm fine with a reach and a gamble at #20.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                IMO, this kid has zero bust potential. If he never plays a game in the NBA I would still suggest he wasn't a bust. For me, there has to be high expectations for a kid to bust, and honestly, I know so little about Bruno that I really can't expect much. And there isn't much out there to really gauge the kid, so my expectations will be very low for some time I imagine. As far as I'm concerned, this kid can only surprise, I will feel no disappointment about the pick even if he never plays a minute in the NBA.

Even though there were other players on the board that may look more likely to have an NBA career or contribute next season, I'm fine with a reach and a gamble at #20.
                Everyone has bust potential, it is just that the risk and reward is quite worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You know what I like about this pick? It shows that MU has an eye on the future - not just this season or next season, but several years down the road. And he's aiming to build a team with a much higher ceiling than the current one.

A BC move would have been to get overexcited about this past season's success, overpay Lowry, and draft for immediate needs. Let this be a reminder to us all that this team still has a long way to go.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                    You know what I like about this pick? It shows that MU has an eye on the future - not just this season or next season, but several years down the road. And he's aiming to build a team with a much higher ceiling than the current one.

A BC move would have been to get overexcited about this past season's success, overpay Lowry, and draft for immediate needs. Let this be a reminder to us all that this team still has a long way to go.
                    Let's not give BC too much credit here.

BC would've traded our 1st rounder for a veteran as soon as our record went above .500.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                      Let's not give BC too much credit here.

BC would've traded our 1st rounder for a veteran as soon as our record went above .500.
                      He would have traded the pick to Houston for Asik.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post

Bruno can't bust, but the pick can be a bust. Otherwise the Raps could draft my eight-year-old nephew, who also has potential and no expectations, without expecting to be criticized.

I like gambles too. The only question is whether this was a calculated one or a wild one. If we are trying to build from the middle, with patience and savvy drafting, throwing away picks is counter to our supposed strategy.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          Bruno can't bust, but the pick can be a bust. Otherwise the Raps could draft my eight-year-old nephew, who also has potential and no expectations, without expecting to be criticized.

I like gambles too. The only question is whether this was a calculated one or a wild one. If we are trying to build from the middle, with patience and savvy drafting, throwing away picks is counter to our supposed strategy.
                          Nicely Said. Looking at our team and assuming that we keep Lowry, the middle to end of late first round is where we will get our assets to improve this team. Making huge gambles like this makes no sense unless it is done with the 2nd round picks.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            Bravo. Everyone applaud these three sites for not taking their time and not opting to slowly think their verdict completely through.

And what a surprise, neither one of these guys probably ever seen the guy play or heard of him so there ya go. Ignorance equals a bad grade. Maybe the reality is he busts, who knows, but I know for sure these three aren't the ones in the know... Bad grade because they either don't know or there is no instant gratification out of the 20th pick.
                            Not that I disagree with you, but this post is basically just as ignorant as you claim the writers that gave us those grades are. Statements like "I know for sure these three aren't the ones in the know" don't lend any credibility. How do you know they didn't take any time or slowly think their verdict completely through? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

Either way, we can't complain about the ignorance of others if we implore the same ignorance ourselves.
                            There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                              Bruno would have been gone at 23 to Utah. That's been reported multiple places. San Antonio and Phoenix were also both heavily interested. He wouldn't have been there in the 2nd round.

You do realize the 26th pick was PJ Hairston. You think he would move the needle for the Raptors going deeper in the playoffs? You're not getting an immediate game changer at 20. Even if we got Ennis, he is a year or two away from being ready to run an NBA team.
                              The second rounder Charlotte acquired was used on Josh Powell, again, someone who is not going to move the needle at all for the Raps.

So, taking your right course of action, we get Hairston, Powell, and a future Miami 2nd rounder instead of Bruno. I'm gonna take Bruno over that deal any day, even knowing as little as I do right now about him.
                              Something reported by the media MUST be true! I think those "reports" all came from the mouths of Masai and Casey. It all seemed like more of a panic move by Masai with Ennis being chosen at 18 (unable to swing deal) and Harris being chosen at 19 (deal with MEM off the table). Saying other teams would have taken him sounds like justification to me, rather than fact.
                              There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
                                Not that I disagree with you, but this post is basically just as ignorant as you claim the writers that gave us those grades are. Statements like "I know for sure these three aren't the ones in the know" don't lend any credibility. How do you know they didn't take any time or slowly think their verdict completely through? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

Either way, we can't complain about the ignorance of others if we implore the same ignorance ourselves.
                                Wow, you're a professional when it comes to being condescending. I know because the draft just ended. That's how I know.

Why don't you focus your superiority elsewhere? I'm not worth your time, big shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X