Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: F*** Brooklyn? No. F*** Phoenix!

Raptors Republic All-Star grindhouse's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I'm not going to lie.

I was stunned and "WTF!?!?!" at first.

I didn't post until a couple of hours after the pick.

I did a lot of thinking in those two hours to come to the conclusion I did.

But I wasn't keen immediately.
    He should have trade the 37 and 59 for something anything such a waste

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently Masai promised him a few months back.

@Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote grindhouse wrote: View Post

Easier said than done I think.

You can't make a team deal with you.

3 of the top players in the league right now have it held hostage.

Teams are waiting on Melo, LBJ, and Love.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that surprised me is that MU didn't go ahead and pull the trigger on the Memphis trade. I thought it was a pretty good deal, even if their primary target wasn't available. There were several well known players available at 22 which, at the very least, would have become solid trade bait (ie: Napier/Hood and Prince's expiring contract). Hell, why not do the trade and grab Napier, then try to work out a deal with Phoenix to swap PGs (ie: Ennis for Napier & #59/future 2nd)?

5. Like Blacklash2k4, Scraptor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    The only thing that surprised me is that MU didn't go ahead and pull the trigger on the Memphis trade. I thought it was a pretty good deal, even if their primary target wasn't available. There were several well known players available at 22 which, at the very least, would have become solid trade bait (ie: Napier/Hood and Prince's expiring contract). Hell, why not do the trade and grab Napier, then try to work out a deal with Phoenix to swap PGs (ie: Ennis for Napier & #59/future 2nd?).
    I'm guessing:

1) PHX didn't want Napier

2) PHX wanted more than another PG or 2nd round pick (i.e. Bruno)

Not taking on the contract of Prince also helps protect Raps if Lowry walks. They will be able to go after Bledsoe or make lopsided $$$ trades.

Going to be another interesting 2 weeks coming up.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Default F*** Brooklyn? No. F*** Phoenix!

Here's what I question why didn't Phoenix take Ennis over this kid if he is so good. They knew like us that we would work him out

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing:

1) PHX didn't want Napier

2) PHX wanted more than another PG or 2nd round pick (i.e. Bruno)

Not taking on the contract of Prince also helps protect Raps if Lowry walks. They will be able to go after Bledsoe or make lopsided $$$ trades.

Going to be another interesting 2 weeks coming up.
    Even if a deal with Phoeniex wasn't possible, I still think it would've been a good move. The only negative aspect about it was taking on Prince's contract. I suppose I just think that whatever player they picked would've had decent immediate trade value, possibly even to unload a contract. Or, another way to look at it is if the player picked @ #22 would have been a better prospect than Daniels @ #37, when Prince's contract was factored in. Tough to say, without knowing what else MU has planned.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

50+ picks have essentially zero value. If there was someone he wanted there he could have bought a pick, as evidenced by half the 50+ picks being sold off on draft night. At 37 he got a promising 3+D prospect - what more could you want? In the second round if you get a guy who develops into a role player you've been very successful.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I question why didn't Phoenix take Ennis over this kid if he is so good. They knew like us that we would work him out

Maybe they didn't have the balls to use #18 on such a prospect?

Maybe they figured Ujiri would make a lopsided deal for the hometown kid?

I'm not sure but I feel confident in those trains of thought.
    Bruno Caboclo

11. Like Bendit liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Even if a deal with Phoeniex wasn't possible, I still think it would've been a good move. The only negative aspect about it was taking on Prince's contract. I suppose I just think that whatever player they picked would've had decent immediate trade value, possibly even to unload a contract. Or, another way to look at it is if the player picked @ #22 would have been a better prospect than Daniels @ #37, when Prince's contract was factored in. Tough to say, without knowing what else MU has planned.
    I expect the team just wasn't enamoured with the prospects available around 22 once Ennis and Caboclo were gone, and were going to be just as happy with a guy at 37 as they would be with the guys there at 22.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they didn't have the balls to use #18 on such a prospect?

Maybe they figured Ujiri would make a lopsided deal for the hometown kid?

I'm not sure but I feel confident in those trains of thought.
    I think he choked. Threw away 2 out of our 3 picks to take a guy 17 spots of where he should have been taken

Post Thanks / Like

Great thing about it is we know exactly how good his eye for talent is. This is his guy

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Phoenix has Sarver as an owner.. they're already screwed until he sells the team.

Yeah would have loved Ennis and when Phoenix selected him, I went WTF internally. I don't think Phoenix is going to use him. Maybe they consider Bledsoe a SG and wanted a backup for Dragic. Not sure.. maybe they went with BPA but if that's the case, why not part with him if another GM is trying to make a deal? A backup PG is not going to get much development in so his stock is going to be fairly low as an asset anyway.

Either way.. the Raptors don't need to steal Bledsoe (personally not a fan and think he's over hyped). MU might have to give up assets to find a PG but I do believe MU has a good eye for talent and will know who to trade for without breaking the bank (at least I hope he will).

Raptors Republic All-Star RaptorsFan4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya, I think I'm going to call bullshit on this. It's possible but I don't think it worked out like that. The Suns need another guard with the dual guard system they play and Ennis was BPA at the spot they picked. It was pretty much projected Ennis wasn't going to fall to us in the draft before the draft it ended up happening.

Also you have to consider that Dragic's contract is up next year (well technically a 7.5 million player option, he will probably opt out to get a bigger contract) and there is uncertainty around it. He will probably stay but they don't know. When you put it altogether it makes sense to take Ennis.

17. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he choked. Threw away 2 out of our 3 picks to take a guy 17 spots of where he should have been taken

i agree with the skepticism but not your absolute knowledge. i really thought we were getting ennis and then with the memphis deal was excited for prince and capela. but i think the potential in bruno as a huge, fluid 3 beats capela. capela only started moving up mocks the past two weeks.

i didn't want napier. i wanted grant and he dropped big time. i don't think that means every gm after 20 who also didn't draft him are wrong.
    For The Win

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Ya, I think I'm going to call bullshit on this. It's possible but I don't think it worked out like that. The Suns need another guard with the dual guard system they play and Ennis was BPA at the spot they picked. It was pretty much projected Ennis wasn't going to fall to us in the draft before the draft it ended up happening.

Also you have to consider that Dragic's contract is up next year (well technically a 7.5 million player option, he will probably opt out to get a bigger contract) and there is uncertainty around it. He will probably stay but they don't know. When you put it altogether it makes sense to take Ennis.
    That is very plausible as well.
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Ennis and capoclo were the 2 guys that masai really wanted to get in this draft, with ennis leading their draft board. If gary harris slipped 1 more, raptors wouldve grabbed him too. The reason why raptors didnt pull the trigger on memphis trade is probably cause masai doesnt think there is anyone else that has enough upside for him to take that extra 6 mil he has got to pay prince this year. I feel like ennis could still be a raptor through a trade in the upcoming weeks, but dont bank on it

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess they are unsure with what to do with bledsoe, harris to me seemed to be a much better fit for phoenix but maybe thats just me

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with you, especially that Ujiri made sure he didn't work out for anyone else

wasn't he super high on Po last year but then he started working out for teams and blew everyone away? i bet dollars to donuts MU saw the same kind of talent and didn't want it happening again.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter Demographic Shift's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ya, I think I'm going to call bullshit on this. It's possible but I don't think it worked out like that. The Suns need another guard with the dual guard system they play and Ennis was BPA at the spot they picked. It was pretty much projected Ennis wasn't going to fall to us in the draft before the draft it ended up happening..

In same boat as you R4L. Teams don't draft players to spite other teams or to mess with them. Its not high school. Its a business. Phoenix wanted Ennis and they took him.

Some other things to consider about Bruno vs other picks

- Exum's handlers chose a different path by hiding him and exposing him just enough during the workout schedules that he caught the planned for updraft. So he got seen and had the hype machine work to his advantage. Good for him and his future BUT who has he played against either ? No one really.
    - Elfrid Payton wasn't on the radar until he caught the hype machine as well and rolled up the charts. His career has been played out against lesser competition as well. His highlight reel shows him taking advantage of less skilled athetes. Won't be ANY of those guys when he suits up for Orlando.

Folks tend to not like things they are not familiar with. Lets see what game this kid has in summer league.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information