Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salmon Alabi: Does RR remember MU's Man from few years ago ??

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Salmon Alabi: Does RR remember MU's Man from few years ago ??

It was just few years ago when MU at the time in his role as a scout was all about Salmon Alabi. Tall and great Wingspan with ton of athleticism. He was a guy the MU had an eye on for years and Raptors made sure that they draft him and ...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Solomon-Alabi-551/

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Alabi was drafted by the Dallas Mavericks with the 50th pick, and traded to the Toronto Raptors for cash considerations. 50th pick that didn't pan out. Does it matter

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    Alabi was drafted by the Dallas Mavericks with the 50th pick, and traded to the Toronto Raptors for cash considerations. 50th pick that didn't pan out. Does it matter
    Is the Bruno, Alabi 2.0 that was drafted 30 pick two early

Time will Tell my friend, Time will tell.

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Alabi wasn't coordinated and couldn't shoot for his life. Totally different cases.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
    Alabi wasn't coordinated and couldn't shoot for his life. Totally different cases.
    So why was MU so head over hill for this guy ?? Was it the length, Wingspan and Athleticism ?

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Head over hill? he just gave an African boy a shot at professional basketball. He didn't draft him.
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
    Head over hill? he just gave an African boy a shot at professional basketball. He didn't draft him.
    You need to refresh your information about that draft and how it went down.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all the Alabi situation was nothing like this.

For starters we took Alabi later than he was supposed to go, he was projected to go 41st by NBAdraft.net and we took him at 50. Second of all, Alabi was a known commodity having already played 4 years of college ball and being 22 at the time of the draft. Additionally, Alabi was picked 50TH, not 20th. He was not a 1st round level prospect.

That’s not even mentioning how poorly he was developed (likely due to him being a 2nd rounder and BC giving 2 fucks about those). He played a total of 26 games for us and an average of 7 minutes. That’s 182 NBA minutes, DeRozan plays that in 2 weeks.

9. Like enlightenment, OptimalOptimist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's like there are a large group of fans around here who aren't satisfied unless they're continuously torturing themselves.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Solomon Alabi played a couple years at Florida State. He was on ESPN all the time playing in the ACC going up against other pro prospects on a regular basis. Other than the long arm comparison, there is no other basis of comparison. One player is well known, a center, from Nigeria the other is off the radar, a wing, from Brazil.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    So why was MU so head over hill for this guy ?? Was it the length, Wingspan and Athleticism ?
    Mu was "head over hill" for the Greek Freak too....and reportedly tried to trade for him/the pick. That would be a more apt comparison in more ways than one. Other than Alabi also being Nigerian I cannot recall a scouting recommend connection (made public) between he and MU.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if finding a compliment to a certain Italian under the direction of another Italian had anything to do with it

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

It's incredible that some wont allow at least a meet&greet and a local workout made public before frothing so much. Maybe "subliminal" is a new analytic.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    First of all the Alabi situation was nothing like this.

For starters we took Alabi later than he was supposed to go, he was projected to go 41st by NBAdraft.net and we took him at 50. Second of all, Alabi was a known commodity having already played 4 years of college ball and being 22 at the time of the draft. Additionally, Alabi was picked 50TH, not 20th. He was not a 1st round level prospect.

That’s not even mentioning how poorly he was developed (likely due to him being a 2nd rounder and BC giving 2 fucks about those). He played a total of 26 games for us and an average of 7 minutes. That’s 182 NBA minutes, DeRozan plays that in 2 weeks.
    Not to mention that there was a reason Alabi was sliding: a couple days before the draft, rumours of a medical condition came out (a form of hepatitis, if I remember correctly). Most teams backed off because they thought it was one of the more serious forms of hepatitis. The Raptors knew that it was a less severe strain and wouldn't affect his career. Which they were right about. So to me, it's an example of the Raptors scouting staff being the most informed about the pick. The guy just never really developed his game.
    tank-agnostic

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take a flyer on a 7ft, athlete at the 50th pick any day. I'm okay with 2nd rounders failing...I'm even okay with late first rounders failing...

Raptors Republic Starter rapfan10's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Also I remember Alabi trying to develop his 'sky hook'. And I also remember a game against Minny where he got some run in a blowout and got maybe 4 airballs? I'm not sure if he pulled out the sky hook. But the kid needed to focus on developing his basic fundamentals (dribbling, shooting, footwork) before pulling out the sky hook

Edit: even zarar talked about this:
    "We have just been informed that Solomon Alabi is working on a sky-hook!!! Kareem Abdul Alabi!!!"

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2010/...rself-to-arse/
    Last edited by rapfan10; Fri Jun 27th, 2014 at 07:55 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jamshid with another great post!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahahahaha, What a world you guys live in Pretending to not know about MU's relationship with Solmon Alabi
    I could dig out the old articles to show their relationships that started very before the draft and how we traded for Alabi based on MU's recommendations but what is the point You all know that but like to forget and deny it.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    I'd take a flyer on a 7ft, athlete at the 50th pick any day. I'm okay with 2nd rounders failing
    LOOOOOL, That is my exact point and thanks for proving it It is OK to risk a 2nd rounder.

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    ...I'm even okay with late first rounders failing...
    Hahahahah, then you will never build your team via draft in the state that you are now. With this team almost CAPED OUT, the only way to add talent is via the late first rounders so if you OK with failing there, you are OK with not improving. It is that simple.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    I wonder if finding a compliment to a certain Italian under the direction of another Italian had anything to do with it
    My friend you live in a funny world I just love it. Can not wait to see your reaction in few month when this guy can not even play in summer league.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information