Raptors 2014 Free Agency: Raptors Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about this a little more....

Masai and the rest of the front office wasn't around in 2010-2012 when he was here. Casey was though (2011-12 DC's first year as head coach).

I would imagine Casey would have been consulted on this.

While I'm not a fan of Casey's rotations and think his play calling is questionable I have the utmost respect for his ability to relate to players, keep them on the same page, and buy in to the team concept. I don't think JJ would be brought back if Casey didn't think he'd fit with the team.

Comment

• All valid points.

My guess is after being given away for a 2nd round pick (Daniels) AND falling out on one of the worst team in the NBA AND starting last season in the D-League AND seeing the success Casey has had with a group buying in to what he was preaching to Johnson in 2012, Mr. James Johnson has had a huge taste of humble pie and is ready to toe the line.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        ...I don't think JJ would be brought back if Casey didn't think he'd fit with the team.
        Here's hoping it works out for James AND the Raptors. This might be JJ's last shot to prove he can be effective without being a distraction...and he might realize it.

Comment

• Salary wise, it appears that Smith is reporting 2 years and 5M total. That's a starting salary between 2.4M and 2.6M.

Leaving about 2.9M at best of our MLE to add another player as a backup big.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Would you like to borrow my abacus?

You kids and your gadgets.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Yeah, I remember him wanting a bigger role with more minutes, and feeling he deserved it. I also remember him forcing shots and single-handedly trying to take over games, and failing miserably in the process.

But he can touch the rim with his toes....that's gotta count for something :|

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Salary wise, it appears that Smith is reporting 2 years and 5M total. That's a starting salary between 2.4M and 2.6M.

Leaving about 2.9M at best of our MLE to add another player as a backup big.
                That is pricey.

But in the year of the "FREE AGENT WING" I guess that is to be expected.

Is year 2 fully guaranteed?

You think another backup big?

Raps only have 3 guys who can handle the ball (Lowry, Vasquez, Wiliams). 2 of those guys have a lot of injury history. I am inclined to think they go after another PG.

Comment

My guess is after being given away for a 2nd round pick (Daniels) AND falling out on one of the worst team in the NBA AND starting last season in the D-League AND seeing the success Casey has had with a group buying in to what he was preaching to Johnson in 2012, Mr. James Johnson has had a huge taste of humble pie and is ready to toe the line.
                  I read that exact same thing about JJ last year with Memphis. His maturity had supposedly improved and whatnot. Then he started falling down the depth chart in terms of playing time and ended up being charged with domestic assault (though the charge was dismissed).

I'm a little disappointed that we signed him for more than the vet min. Hopefully there is some kind of character clause because some people never change, and JJ (as much as I like his defense) appears to be one of them.

Comment

• He fits the bill basketball-wise. The Raps know what they'll be getting from JJ. And as someone said down a few posts, the Raps won't bring him in if they think he'll be a problem. With the Raps being a much better team now than during his first stint, maybe he can now accept the role that we wanted him to play (assuming that this was the problem, of course). Plus 2 years for $5m for an athletic wing who plays D should be easy to move if it does not pan out for us.

Comment

• Demar can't d up anyone I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Maybe a little of an over-payment, but I am absolutely fine with this contract. Vasquez does alot more than just be our backup PG for 15 minutes a game. Lowry/GV backcourt last season was our best backcourt tandem, outscoring opponents by 17+points/100 possessions (RR frontpage, and I read somewhere else that it was even higher). He's obviously not that bad defensively. 2 years is great. I think he is worth that money if he gets 25+ min per game, which I expect he will.

This team is pretty deep eh. Maybe Lowry and DD will have their minutes reduced a little this season, which would be great!

Comment

That is pricey.

But in the year of the "FREE AGENT WING" I guess that is to be expected.

Is year 2 fully guaranteed?

You think another backup big?

Raps only have 3 guys who can handle the ball (Lowry, Vasquez, Wiliams). 2 of those guys have a lot of injury history. I am inclined to think they go after another PG.
                          DeRozan also very effective in the pick and roll as a ball-handler, and Ross made strides in that area too. I think a backup center is more pressing need IF Ujiri feels like Bebe won't be able to play much, if at all next year.

Comment

• James Johnson statistically was superb last year...

18.5 PER
                            110 oRTG
                            101 dRTG
                            .150 WS/48
                            55.2 TS%

Put up about 15-6-4 per 36 with over 2 blocks and almost 2 steals. Looks like a great pickup to me if he is a non-issue in the locker room.

Comment

• MU and Casey are quality professionals. James 'almost Puppy kicker' Johnson isn't.

Would've rather seen the Blatche or Carter circus roll into town.

Comment

• The team has a different make up now too. Lowry and DD are the clear leaders and everyone else follows. Back then DD was still wet behind the ears and there was no clear leaders. I'm confident JJ will not be over stepping his boundaries this time around.

Comment

Working...
                                X