No announcement yet.

Raptors 2014 Free Agency: Raptors Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a requirement by the NBA to have at lease one nutcase in the locker room or something?

first he met with Andray Blatche... but James Johnson is a bigger nutcase so he signed him. blaa.. only 2 years. he ll probably be a throw in for a KD trade next year.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
      Is it a requirement by the NBA to have at lease one nutcase in the locker room or something?

first he met with Andray Blatche... but James Johnson is a bigger nutcase so he signed him. blaa.. only 2 years. he ll probably be a throw in for a KD trade next year.
      No, othgerwise Stevenson would have a job right now.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
        No, othgerwise Stevenson would have a job right now.
        He should sign with the Bulls.
        Myself (March 2014):
        The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• I wonder if Casey spoke to JJ before this and explained to him his roles in this team.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
            You make it sound likes he's a kingpin lol he brought weed onto the plane for himself to smoke, he's not fuckin Avon Barksdale
            JJ-APK and I have unfinished business.....

His blurry eyed plot to turn the Raptor's private jet into Soul Plane 3: Puff the Magic Dino's is his own poor decision.

I reserve the right to make hella fun of it.

Comment

• I agree with most posters that the GV deal is a little high, but I also agree with most posters that the fact it's only 2 years is a relief. We're overpaying by about $1M or so per year, so it's not too bad. Vasquez is a competent starter quality PG, and he will be easily tradeable next offseason if we need cap space for a big free agent. For instance, if we had Vasquez on a 1 year deal and wanted to move him this offseason, there are a ton of suitors (Lakers, Heat, Bucks, Pistons, Phoenix, etc...), and I expect a similar situation next year. It's not some unmovable deal like Novak (apparently movable) or Hayes or Fields.

Having said that, I don't think GV will be recruiting Durant for us. Even though his deal ends before 2016, he'll have a pretty huge cap hold in 2016, so we can't use that space anyways without rescinding him. The only way he would help recruit Durant is if we made some sort of pact with Vasquez that he will resign a longer term low money deal in 2016 offseason to give us cap for Durant, and we're paying him extra now in compensation for that. Seems a little complicated for that to really be the plan, but Masai is tricky and might be thinking a 29 year old Vasquez could be brought back for very cheap, especially with the glut of young stud PG's that have been entering the league the past few years.

Just because GV won't be recruiting Durant for us, doesn't change the fact that if we rescind him in 2016 we should have a bunch of cap space to go after Durant or any other 2016 free agent. I think that was Masai's main goal, to keep as much cap space in 2016 as possible.

Dallas is hamstrung because of their Parsons offer, and can only offer Vince like $2M-ish per season. Time for us to swoop in and offer him $5M per for 2 years (team option year 2). Then use a min deal on 3rd PG (Kabongo? Machado?) or another big man (Aldrich? Blatche?).

EDIT: Did not see that we had signed James Johnson. Forget everything I said about signing Vince.
              Last edited by Primer; Thu Jul 10, 2014, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• I just watched a highlight video of James blocking shots. It's a 5:43 minute video of just all the shots he blocked this past season with Memphis. That's crazy. The thing that I love is most of the shots he blocked were on the perimeter and he NEVER fouled. He definitely has a natural knack for blocking shots. If he has matured in anyway and doesn't cause any trouble in the locker room he is going to be an amazing defender for us. I am so excited. I loved him when he was here with us the first time.
                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• He also keeps a lot of his blocks in play as well.
                  I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                    I just watched a highlight video of James blocking shots. It's a 5:43 minute video of just all the shots he blocked this past season with Memphis. That's crazy. The thing that I love is most of the shots he blocked were on the perimeter and he NEVER fouled. He definitely has a natural knack for blocking shots. If he has matured in anyway and doesn't cause any trouble in the locker room he is going to be an amazing defender for us. I am so excited. I loved him when he was here with us the first time.
                    KJ McDanials. Taking Bruno is looking better.

Comment

KJ McDanials. Taking Bruno is looking better.
                      What about KJ McDaniels? And I love the Bruno draft pick. I think he's going to be very good. But that video of James Johnson blocking shots really excited me. He also blocks shots with his left hand as well. Supposedly he was number one in the league at blocking three point shots. I can believe that because I've never seen someone block that many perimeter shots without fouling.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                        What about KJ McDaniels? And I love the Bruno draft pick. I think he's going to be very good. But that video of James Johnson blocking shots really excited me. He also blocks shots with his left hand as well. Supposedly he was number one in the league at blocking three point shots. I can believe that because I've never seen someone block that many perimeter shots without fouling.
                        Only player I regret missing #20-36. He basically cost 2@5M in JJ. Not worth Prince from Memphis.

Comment

Only player I regret missing #20-36. He basically cost 2@5M in JJ. Not worth Prince from Memphis.
                          Oh okay. Yea I liked KJ as well. He's going to be good. But I think Bruno has more potential and Bruno is a very hard worker from what everyone is saying, so the likelihood of him reaching his potential or coming close is high.

Comment

• Good signing. I'm a big JJ fan. Super athletic, very good defensive player. I'm not too worried about the off court stuff, Masai and DC wouldn't bring him back if they think it's going to be a problem.

My main problem w/ JJ when he was here was his shot selection, he shoots too much lol. Sometimes i feel like he thinks he's Scottie Pippen or something.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                              Good signing. I'm a big JJ fan. Super athletic, very good defensive player. I'm not too worried about the off court stuff, Masai and DC wouldn't bring him back if they think it's going to be a problem.

My main problem w/ JJ when he was here was his shot selection, he shoots too much lol. Sometimes i feel like he thinks he's Scottie Pippen or something.
                              He had 8.4 fga with the Raptors, but honed it in and shot 5.2 fga in Sacramento and 5.9 in Memphis last year. I'm okay with 5 shots a game. That's about what John Salmons took as well.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                                Good signing. I'm a big JJ fan. Super athletic, very good defensive player. I'm not too worried about the off court stuff, Masai and DC wouldn't bring him back if they think it's going to be a problem.

Yea I was always more concerned with his shot selection than any off court stuff with him. But now that he have the Raptors finally have a precedence set of how things will be run, how players should carry themselves and how we want our players playing the game I think we will make sure James falls in line. And if he doesn't then he doesn't get playing time simple as that. I know Masai must have had a talk with him cause Masai doesn't play. If he talked to Kyle he talked to James. I also have faith because Masai's talked worked on Kyle. Also we finally have two really good leaders in Kyle and Derozan. That is something we haven't ever really had. Especially in our best players. Vince and Chris Bosh were never known to be leaders.

Comment

Working...
                                X