No announcement yet.

Raptors 2014 Free Agency: Raptors Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing out on Patterson, Orlando didn't weep too long.

Makes PP deal look pretty good right now. Relative to Frye, lose a little on offense but gain a lot on defense.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Missing out on Patterson, Orlando didn't weep too long.

Makes PP deal look pretty good right now. Relative to Frye, lose a little on offense but gain a lot on defense.
      Hurts PHX so I'm happy.

Comment

Missing out on Patterson, Orlando didn't weep too long.

I'd argue we don't lose anything on offense relative to Frye. Both score the same per 36, but Patterson has slightly higher TS%, eFG%, and 3pt%. Patterson also has more rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks. Plus he's a better defender as you mentioned.
        Oh, and Frye is 31 and Patterson is only 25. Not to mention Frye's contract is 4 years and Pattersons is only 3.
        We got a steal of a deal on Patterson, and this Frye contract hammers that home.

Comment

• Anyone else get the sense that the timing on all the deals is organizational? If GV jumps ship I'll seem out to lunch but all the deals seem to hit around the time reports of other suitors have intentions or let them be known.

As if MU goes and tells the boys to take meetings(lol I can't get over how good it must feel for Lowry to have the coach that branded him uncoachable come solicate his talent), listen to offers, let media spill ink. Its good for your brand its great for the Raptors when we ultimately retain you. Its WIN FREAKIN WN BABY!!!

Free agency is a bit of dog and pony show already. MU strikes as the type to use its pervasive nature for his own devices.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
            I'd argue we don't lose anything on offense relative to Frye. Both score the same per 36, but Patterson has slightly higher TS%, eFG%, and 3pt%. Patterson also has more rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks. Plus he's a better defender as you mentioned.
            Oh, and Frye is 31 and Patterson is only 25. Not to mention Frye's contract is 4 years and Pattersons is only 3.
            We got a steal of a deal on Patterson, and this Frye contract hammers that home.
            You've sold me.

Patterson is a good deal.

Comment

Don't forget that Frye took a year off for a heart condition as well.. 4 years for a 31 year old with a history of heart issues is a big risk to take.

Comment

Also, they just spent 8M per year on a guy who is not great at playing PF in the current NBA. Frye has been mostly a stretch C more than he has been a stretch PF for much of his career, because he's just too slow to play PF even close to full time. So they're paying 8M/year for a guy who will not fit well on the court next to Vucevic at all on the defensive end. Terrible deal if you ask me.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Also, they just spent 8M per year on a guy who is not great at playing PF in the current NBA. Frye has been mostly a stretch C more than he has been a stretch PF for much of his career, because he's just too slow to play PF even close to full time. So they're paying 8M/year for a guy who will not fit well on the court next to Vucevic at all on the defensive end. Terrible deal if you ask me.
                  They can get another high pick to draft a SF/PF to throw on the pile next season.

Comment

• Were they trying to reach the floor for spending?

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                      Were they trying to reach the floor for spending?
                      Yup. Hope they made it. Otherwise Rashard Lewis is getting paid.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Were they trying to reach the floor for spending?
                        I made this post in another thread but in a nutshell, yes, and acquiring trade pieces too is my guess:

There is a salary floor in the NBA that all teams must pay one way or another (either to players or the difference to the players on the team).

Orlando is reaching the floor.

My guess they are accumulating tradeable assets. Orlando faces same type of difficulties in free agency as many other small market teams.

Obviously there is a market for stretch 4 in the league.

There has been rumours about GSW sending Lee to Orlando, Kerr has said he wants a stretch 4, GSW reportedly interested in Frye but could only offer MLE, Orlando reportedly really wanted Barnes (afflalo and first declined).
                        Connecting a few dots and we could see a trade after December 15th.

But this is pure speculation obviously.

Comment

I made this post in another thread but in a nutshell, yes, and acquiring trade pieces too is my guess:

There is a salary floor in the NBA that all teams must pay one way or another (either to players or the difference to the players on the team).

Orlando is reaching the floor.

My guess they are accumulating tradeable assets. Orlando faces same type of difficulties in free agency as many other small market teams.

Obviously there is a market for stretch 4 in the league.

There has been rumours about GSW sending Lee to Orlando, Kerr has said he wants a stretch 4, GSW reportedly interested in Frye but could only offer MLE, Orlando reportedly really wanted Barnes (afflalo and first declined).
                          Connecting a few dots and we could see a trade after December 15th.

But this is pure speculation obviously.
                          Now they want Barnes? How many SF/PF do they need? Honestly send them Fields they're starting some weird collection of wing players anyway.

Comment

• What's taking the Vasquez deal so long?

It's concerning me a little bit that last week we were hearing news that Vasquez is also close to agreeing on a new contract. Haven't heard anything about it recently so I wonder if there are any issues with the deal? I'm wondering if Vasquez is asking for the same amount as Patterson and MU is offering around the $4.5 range. Maybe nothing to worry about, but just eager to hear any kind of good news. Any news, guys? thoughts? Could the trade for Lou Williams be making him uncomfortable that now someone is competing with him for playing time?

Comment

• According to Wolstat from Sun, Vasquez and his agent are awaiting to see what kind of deal the Kings Isaiah Thomas gets before they make any commitment to the Raptors. So who knows, but I expect to hear something within the next couple days at least.

Comment

• Maybe raptors are working on a S & T for parsons chandler for G V, so they can sign Bosh for 4/80.

Comment

Working...
                                X