No announcement yet.

Raptors 2014 Free Agency: Raptors Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a slight overpayment, and we now have a lot of money tied up in PG's, but you can't deny how well he played for us and at the end of the day even if you signed him for $5M a year where was that extra mil going to go?

If anything maybe this'll mean we won't get Vince back and I can continue to be a fan

Comment

• What was the original deal that was rumoured that MU's offered G.V ?

3 Years and 14 million ??

Comment

• GV's contract is an overpay, plain and simple, and harkens back to Masai's only demonstrated flaw as a GM: a willingness to overpay his personal favorites (see McGee, Javale). It being two years long doesn't make it not an overpay. It's just an overpay of shorter duration.

It's not terrible, but let's put it this way: Jeremy Lin is arguably a better backup PG than Greivis is. We could have had one year of Jeremy Lin from Houston for free and possibly even gotten a draft pick in the bargain as our price for taking on his salary for a year, and then have even more expiring money next year. Is bringing back GV for two years on an overpay worth it compared to that? Well, the chemistry value had better match up, that's all I'll say.

Comment

• If they use the MLE, I hope it's on a 1 year contract. Butler, Marvin Williams, Aminu, Jordan Hamiton,

Comment

• Looked at our salaries,

We only have Lowry, Bruno, and Bebe (if they play here) under contract for 2016/2017?

That's a lot of cap room.
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
              I think Vasquez contract is pretty good. He's paid a lot, but Im sure he will prove he is worth the money. Plus it ends in 2016. 100% sure its all strategy to try and get KD north of the border. Vasquez prefered more over a short period than less over 3-4 years cuz he wants his good friend durant to join him and he will help the organization getting him.
              Expect that at that time he will be under no obligation and have no affiliation with Toronto. So why would be recruit KD to a team where he might not even be playing?
              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                GV's contract is an overpay, plain and simple, and harkens back to Masai's only demonstrated flaw as a GM: a willingness to overpay his personal favorites (see McGee, Javale). It being two years long doesn't make it not an overpay. It's just an overpay of shorter duration.

It's not terrible, but let's put it this way: Jeremy Lin is arguably a better backup PG than Greivis is. We could have had one year of Jeremy Lin from Houston for free and possibly even gotten a draft pick in the bargain as our price for taking on his salary for a year, and then have even more expiring money next year. Is bringing back GV for two years on an overpay worth it compared to that? Well, the chemistry value had better match up, that's all I'll say.
                Jeremy Lin costs the cap the same price but he costs MLSE $15M. That's why it's so hard to trade Lin.

Comment

• It's a 2-Year deal.

Sure, it's a little higher than some liked, but what's the big deal? He's an expiring after next season. He plays 6th Man for us, not quite backup PG. He does a bit of everything, and he's been pretty clutch when we need him to be.

Comment

• What was the rumoured contract which was reported here before ?? I can not find it anymore. Was it 3 years at 12 or was it 3 year 14 ??

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                      Looked at our salaries,

We only have Lowry, Bruno, and Bebe (if they play here) under contract for 2016/2017?

That's a lot of cap room.
                      And Patterson. And JV and Ross will likely be extended before that summer. We'll also have three more draft picks signed (2015 and 2 in 2016).
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Hey Dan where does this put this at in terms of the luxury tax threshold?

I'm guessing Ujiri set it up so Vasquez + MLE puts us right below the tax line.

Comment

• Jamshid wrote: View Post
                          What was the rumoured contract which was reported here before ?? I can not find it anymore. Was it 3 years at 12 or was it 3 year 14 ??
                          The only concrete rumour was that he had a multi year deal on the table, and was between that and the QO. Plenty of speculation pegged him at around 3x5, but that was just that, speculation.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Massive overpayment. 6.5 for a backup PG? really? geez.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                              Hey Dan where does this put this at in terms of the luxury tax threshold?

I'm guessing Ujiri set it up so Vasquez + MLE puts us right below the tax line.
                              Right now, if we backload all our deals, with Vasquez signed we have almost exactly the room needed to use the MLE and the veteran's minimum. So a solid backup at SF or C, and a depth backup at the other position.

Might be the deals aren't backloaded, but since they were waiting until the final tax numbers came out, I'm having a hard time believing that's a coincidence.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                The only concrete rumour was that he had a multi year deal on the table, and was between that and the QO. Plenty of speculation pegged him at around 3x5, but that was just that, speculation.
                                Thank you ... I thought something was tweeted by one of the sort writers that the deal was on the table and ... I remember seeing the tweet here but can not find it.

Comment

Working...
                                X