Raptors 2014 Free Agency: Raptors Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Have you been watching? Casey hates Fields. JJ will get 10x as many minutes as Fields this season.
    Agreed. I'm actually kind of bummed about that. I really wanted Fields to get minutes so I could test my hypothesis of him being a net neutral player on offense. Unless JJ plays himself DEEP into the dog house for extended games, Fields will likely get even less minutes than last year.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• Why anyone would want to see Fields play is far beyond my understanding of humanity.
      Myself (March 2014):
      The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
        Why anyone would want to see Fields play is far beyond my understanding of humanity.
        I'm complicated, OK?
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Good read from Michael Grange on Raptors keeping their own free agents.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...years-to-come/

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
            Agreed. I'm actually kind of bummed about that. I really wanted Fields to get minutes so I could test my hypothesis of him being a net neutral player on offense. Unless JJ plays himself DEEP into the dog house for extended games, Fields will likely get even less minutes than last year.
            Me too. I am holding out with the hope his shot/nerve issues are cured and Casey will have no choice but have to play him.

Comment

• Sign John Salmons?

I want to expose the irrational hate for Johnny Fish... The only negatives he brought last year were his occasional ill-advised mid-range jumpers and his somewhat onerous contract. The positives were a good average defender, a steady ball handler and a consummate professional locker-room veteran who said the right things (see playoff post-season interviews).

A hugely under-appreciated player in the NBA is one that has the skill to be a fringe-rotational player but accepts a lesser role and salary while still contributing positively to team chemistry. Guys like Dwight Buycks, Bazemore, Sacre, Sean Marks, Collins Twins, Jamaal Magloire, etc are important particularly on young teams. The fact that any athlete can make it to the ultra-competitive NBA and not play game-to-game while not being a locker-room negative (never mind positive!) is an impressive and largely under-appreciated personal quality.

While a different positional need may ultimately trump this idea - don't sleep on Salmons who will surely get another NBA contract.
              When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

• Can you sign a player you just traded that got waived? I thought that wasn't allowed.

Comment

• Yep. Can't do it.

And wanting to is ban worthy. But you can't. Saved by the CBA!
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Edgar wrote: View Post

I want to expose the irrational hate for Johnny Fish... The only negatives he brought last year were his occasional ill-advised mid-range jumpers and his somewhat onerous contract. The positives were a good average defender, a steady ball handler and a consummate professional locker-room veteran who said the right things (see playoff post-season interviews).

A hugely under-appreciated player in the NBA is one that has the skill to be a fringe-rotational player but accepts a lesser role and salary while still contributing positively to team chemistry. Guys like Dwight Buycks, Bazemore, Sacre, Sean Marks, Collins Twins, Jamaal Magloire, etc are important particularly on young teams. The fact that any athlete can make it to the ultra-competitive NBA and not play game-to-game while not being a locker-room negative (never mind positive!) is an impressive and largely under-appreciated personal quality.

While a different positional need may ultimately trump this idea - don't sleep on Salmons who will surely get another NBA contract.
                    Myself (March 2014):
                    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      Fully guaranteed is what gives me shivers. Luckily just 2 years.

Getting the shivers from what kind of act will JJ bring to town. This guy got moved out of Sacto which when you look up dysfunctional there is a link to the Kings home page. He has the skills and frame and talent to be the defensive role player he was brought in to fulfill. Its going to be has he matured to the point where he doesn't pick a fight with the coaching staff he can only lose.

Should be easier to move a 2.5M deal than not IF JJ's ticket is punched to move out of town.

Lower risk and higher reward.. good move by MU
                      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Jul 11, 2014, 11:33 AM.
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

• The only negatives he brought last year were his occasional ill-advised mid-range jumpers and his somewhat onerous contract.
                        Did you even watch last season?

Regular season:

36% FG - 39% 3pt

Post season:

29% FG - 17% 3pt
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          Yep. Can't do it.

And wanting to is ban worthy. But you can't. Saved by the CBA!
                          Don't get me wrong.

I want no part of Salmons.

However he was traded on June 30.

NBA clock resets on July 1st.

I thought he could be resigned?

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            Don't get me wrong.

I want no part of Salmons.

However he was traded on June 30.

NBA clock resets on July 1st.

I thought he could be resigned?
                            Ah ok. I'd still wait out for a big man rather than sign him.

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                              Fields will get a chance to earn his minutes. Casey seems to be that kind of a coach. Show me and I will give you some time on the floor. I am happy about the depth we now have on the club. Remember when we used to sign up guys on 10 day contracts and they were coming off the bench to play bigger minutes with the second team ?
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

• mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                                Ah ok. I'd still wait out for a big man rather than sign him.
                                I'm in PG camp.

However there is absolutely no way I ever sign Salmons.

He served his role fabulously: helped rid Gay and then brought back a useful player and prospect.

Thanks, John! Say hi to God for me!

Comment

Working...
                                X