No announcement yet.

Raptors 2014 Free Agency: Raptors Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right now it's the 6th. Is anyone else a little surprised that Vasquez isn't re-signed yet?

There was reports that they were close but I was expecting it to happen the day of or the day after Pat got signed. I thought this would have happened quickly and easily because of his love for the team.

Comment

• JordanSmith wrote: View Post
      Right now it's the 6th. Is anyone else a little surprised that Vasquez isn't re-signed yet?

There was reports that they were close but I was expecting it to happen the day of or the day after Pat got signed. I thought this would have happened quickly and easily because of his love for the team.
      Expect MU to still be in discussion with some FA, possibly VC and some trades. Lowry and PPat would be back regardless but GV and NDC status depend on other factors.

Comment

• Jamshid wrote: View Post
        The longer it is taking, the more likely G.V. will not sign with us or demands more money !!!
        Tucker looks good but I am just not comfortable with another 6.6 SF in this team. Both Ross and DD are 6.6 and 6.7 ad we saw how they could not be effective against the bigger SFs.
        DD and Tross are pretty much SG's playing out on the wing as SF'sas the situation calls for. We are after a player with more bulk/heft that has enough quicks to guard SF's. Tucker has the heft. Do not know if he has the lateral quicks.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

Right now it's the 6th. Is anyone else a little surprised that Vasquez isn't re-signed yet?

Its just my opinion but the wait on GV as well as the rest of the UFA's and RFA's is the direct result of the Heats impending debacle with LBJ and Bosh and who is going to blink first and make an outlandish offer to Carmelo. Lots of teams in the hunt for these guys. There is not a sniff for Greg Monroe or Gordon Hayward either. We wait for the decision 2.0.

Ujuri as well as the other GM's not in the Miami / Melo sweepstakes are waiting to take advantage of any predicament that a team may have to dig itself out of to make good on their silent auction bet for those three.

Houston may have to sacrifice Chandler Parsons. Phoenix may have to just wince and to clear space for two of these guys give up on Tucker + Ennis + ? as a way to get there. Cleveland ever the wild card may have to give up on a Bennett or Thompson to shed salary.

Or there may be nothing as Melo resigns in NYC and LBJ takes a short term deal in Miami. However it costs nothing to wait and see what develops and the patient Ujuri along with the other GM's are waiting to see what they may be able to extract to "help out" a brother in need.
          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jul 6, 2014, 04:25 PM. Reason: formating to read
          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
          - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
            Its just my opinion but the wait on GV as well as the rest of the UFA's and RFA's is the direct result of the Heats impending debacle with LBJ and Bosh and who is going to blink first and make an outlandish offer to Carmelo. Lots of teams in the hunt for these guys. There is not a sniff for Greg Monroe or Gordon Hayward either. We wait for the decision 2.0.

Ujuri as well as the other GM's not in the Miami / Melo sweepstakes are waiting to take advantage of any predicament that a team may have to dig itself out of to make good on their silent auction bet for those three.

Houston may have to sacrifice Chandler Parsons. Phoenix may have to just wince and to clear space for two of these guys give up on Tucker + Ennis + ? as a way to get there. Cleveland ever the wild card may have to give up on a Bennett or Thompson to shed salary.

Or there may be nothing as Melo resigns in NYC and LBJ takes a short term deal in Miami. However it costs nothing to wait and see what develops and the patient Ujuri along with the other GM's are waiting to see what they may be able to extract to "help out" a brother in need.
            I agree most free agents are in a holding pattern right now until Melo and LBJ decide whats what.

As for the bold, Raps can't really help anymore. Their biggest trade chip was sent packing for a deal similar to what you describe. Don't get me wrong, I really hope my opinion here is totally off base but I just don't see it happening. The biggest trade chip they have for a team looking to dump is a $4.5M TPE. I am not sure $4.5M returns those types of assets.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              I agree most free agents are in a holding pattern right now until Melo and LBJ decide whats what.

As for the bold, Raps can't really help anymore. Their biggest trade chip was sent packing for a deal similar to what you describe. Don't get me wrong, I really hope my opinion here is totally off base but I just don't see it happening. The biggest trade chip they have for a team looking to dump is a $4.5M TPE. I am not sure $4.5M returns those types of assets.

The 4.5 Rudy gay TPE is best for teams that are against the Luxury tax will trade -a salary in the 3 million with usually a rookie salary as a sweetener. I have indicated the clippers ( Barnes) , chicago ( dunleavy) , golden state as examples.

Comment

Right now it's the 6th. Is anyone else a little surprised that Vasquez isn't re-signed yet? There was reports that they were close but I was expecting it to happen the day of or the day after Pat got signed. I thought this would have happened quickly and easily because of his love for the team.
                I think the problem is that MU has what he feels is a fair price for Vasquez, given the relative availability of people with his skill set, probably close to $4M for 3 years, and other teams are approaching Vasquez and his agent semi-promising:
                1. A starting PG slot
                2. A salary closer to $6M/yr

Vasquez is probably willing to take a haircut to come back to Toronto, but feels that $2M/yr is too much of a haircut. So he's holding out. Meanwhile, Masai is figuring that if Vasquez wants $6M he's better off with Nando for $2M, that the downgrade is not that much (in his mind), especially with Williams around and maybe one of Kabongo, Stone or Buycks will grow a bit.

So the question is does Vasquez blink and sign for $4.5M/yr ... or does he keep holding out for one of these people whispering things in his ear? And meanwhile will we lose Nando to Moscow? Lots of options in Masai's hands, though, so he will keep consistent and let the Vasquez card fall where it does.

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                  The 4.5 Rudy gay TPE is best for teams that are against the Luxury tax will trade -a salary in the 3 million with usually a rookie salary as a sweetener. I have indicated the clippers ( Barnes) , chicago ( dunleavy) , golden state as examples.
                  Toronto still has all three guards at nearly 3M unguaranteed AFAIK. With TPE, Raptor could help LAC clear Barnes, Dudly and Bullock to sign Pierce. No real incentive on MU but Toronto still has chips.

Comment

• Nando Leaves for CSKA Moscow

Good riddance

Comment

• so does that remove his 1.9m cap hold?
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• No biggie.

Unless raps renounce, will still have his rights.

Comment

• Nando Rejects Raptors Offer. Accepts CSKA-Moscow One.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post

Good riddance
                            Only part that surprises me is that the Raptors made an offer. Was it the QO or did they actually offer something. Anyway, his cap hold is gone.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                              Only part that surprises me is that the Raptors made an offer. Was it the QO or did they actually offer something. Anyway, his cap hold is gone.
                              They just made the QO.

Pretty indifferent on Nando. Good for him. Hope he does well at CSKA. Raps won't miss him.

Comment

• makes sense for him. he practically got 0 playing time here and will get even less next year with lou williams in the lineup.

Comment

Working...
                                X