No announcement yet.

Raptors 2014 Free Agency: Raptors Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand the obsession with De Colo.

First of all, if we retain Vasquez, there are zero minutes available for Nando in the rotation. I don't understand this talk of him having great potential or whatever when he's already 27 years old. He's been playing professional basketball for nearly a decade (started his pro career in France in 2006). He's not even a good player right now. In his limited role he's not efficient as a scorer (52.6 TS%). He's not a particularly good three point shooter at 34%. His passing is mediocre for a PG (19.7 AST%) but his turnover rate is way too high in comparison (17.6 TO%) for there to be any indication that he can be a full-time PG even off the bench.

Vasquez is the same age as him and significantly better.

Comment

I don't think the Raptors should or will enter luxury tax. They can and still get from under it as long as they are not over the tax line by July 1 2015.

If the Raptors have Bruno and Bebe on their roster next year, and they waive Stone, Bucyks and release De Colo I believe they only have about $12M to spend between GV, Patterson and their MLE.

So the Raptors could bring back both GV and Patterson.. they just won't have enough money to use on a mid-level talent. If Patterson is being offered $7.5M (I believe the rumour Orlando offering was $30M/4yrs), there is still $4.5M to use on GV (although that might be a low ball offer especially based on some recent signings). And if we match a ridiculous offer for Patterson, we might not be able to match a GV offer. Although I think MU will despite them going over the tax line to do it. They just won't use the mid-level then.

So I guess the question is who would you rather have: GV+Patterson, GV and a mid-level talent, or Patterson and a mid-level talent. The maximum that can be used for the mid-level is $5.3M.

With mid-level talents you got the likes of Vince Carter, Marvin Williams, Shawn Marion, Spencer Hawes, Boris Diaw, Nick Young, Jameer Nelson, Rodney Stuckey, Channing Frye, Ramon Sessions, Ed Davis, Kirk Hinrich, Jordan Hill, Maurice Williams, Mario Chalmers, Caron Butler, Jordan Farmar, Jordan Crawford, Devin Harris, Alan Anderson, Al-Farouq Aminu, PJ Tucker, Steve Blake, etc.

I don't think Lou can play point. He's not a facilitator.. and if Lowry is ever injured we might get screwed. But Amir at this stage is probably more injury prone and having a backup big man is also important. If I had to chose between these two I think I would choose GV. Need smart guys around and I think GV helps the backup squad more than Patterson would.

Although I'd prefer to bring back GV/2Pat over using the MLE. But having a big wing would be nice too (Bruno is probably only going to get 5mpg max, and I still don't trust Fields).

Interesting to see how it all plays out.

Comment

Don't forget there's still a chance that we could actually dump Hayes, Novak or even Fields somewhere.

Some of teams are way below the minimum salary line right now, and may need to just acquire salaries to get above it.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          I don't think the Raptors should or will enter luxury tax. They can and still get from under it as long as they are not over the tax line by July 1 2015.

If the Raptors have Bruno and Bebe on their roster next year, and they waive Stone, Bucyks and release De Colo I believe they only have about $12M to spend between GV, Patterson and their MLE.

So the Raptors could bring back both GV and Patterson.. they just won't have enough money to use on a mid-level talent. If Patterson is being offered $7.5M (I believe the rumour Orlando offering was $30M/4yrs), there is still $4.5M to use on GV (although that might be a low ball offer especially based on some recent signings). And if we match a ridiculous offer for Patterson, we might not be able to match a GV offer. Although I think MU will despite them going over the tax line to do it. They just won't use the mid-level then.

So I guess the question is who would you rather have: GV+Patterson, GV and a mid-level talent, or Patterson and a mid-level talent. The maximum that can be used for the mid-level is $5.3M.

With mid-level talents you got the likes of Vince Carter, Marvin Williams, Shawn Marion, Spencer Hawes, Boris Diaw, Nick Young, Jameer Nelson, Rodney Stuckey, Channing Frye, Ramon Sessions, Ed Davis, Kirk Hinrich, Jordan Hill, Maurice Williams, Mario Chalmers, Caron Butler, Jordan Farmar, Jordan Crawford, Devin Harris, Alan Anderson, Al-Farouq Aminu, PJ Tucker, Steve Blake, etc.

I don't think Lou can play point. He's not a facilitator.. and if Lowry is ever injured we might get screwed. But Amir at this stage is probably more injury prone and having a backup big man is also important. If I had to chose between these two I think I would choose GV. Need smart guys around and I think GV helps the backup squad more than Patterson would.

Although I'd prefer to bring back GV/2Pat over using the MLE. But having a big wing would be nice too (Bruno is probably only going to get 5mpg max, and I still don't trust Fields).

Interesting to see how it all plays out.
          I think it needs to be GV in that scenario. With you waiving De Colo, Stone and Buycks, the team only has 1 PG under contract, with 13 roster spots accounted for (assuming Bruno, Bebe and McDaniels all join the team).

One of the reasons I am supportive of De Colo is because I think a team needs to have 3 decent PG on the roster. If there is mutual interest between the team and De Colo, and he can be signed for <= $2M, I think roster spots should go to GV and NDC.

I'd like to bring Patterson back as well, for no more than $5M per season, because he offers different strengths at the PF/small-ball-C spot than AJ/TH/JV/CH. Of course, that would require opening up another roster spot, but I get the feeling MU isn't done yet.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            Nope. End of regular season 2015. Tax calculation is done then, so teams can't stock up for the playoffs then shed parts after to clear the tax.

Depends on Lowry's structure. It is between 12.3M and 15.0M, depending on whether and how much Lowry's deal is front or back loaded.

I personally don't think we need to use the mid-level. I'd certainly prefer keeping both RFA's to losing one so we can sign some to an MLE deal. I consider Lou Williams to be our MLE signing.

Out only difference in this seems to be that I trust Fields.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

What makes you trust Fields? Is it that by now his injury's supposed to have healed and he might have a shot?

We all know how that worked out for us last year with Rudy Gay's eye surgery.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                This is a big challenge, especially considering we suspect MU wants to maintain cap space for summer 2016. PP and GV would both be doing the Raptors a huge favour if they only signed two year deals, in my opinion. They've both earned some stability with solid play.
                Of course, there's no chance either is going to stick to a two-year deal. Vasquez is in his prime and this is the best time for him to sign a contract. 2Pat's in enough demand as a stretch four that he won't sign a two-year deal either. They're both going to want to get paid.

Best-case scenario: three or four-year deals with ETOs.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                  Of course, there's no chance either is going to stick to a two-year deal. Vasquez is in his prime and this is the best time for him to sign a contract. 2Pat's in enough demand as a stretch four that he won't sign a two-year deal either. They're both going to want to get paid.

Best-case scenario: three or four-year deals with ETOs.
                  I have a feeling both of them will want 4 year deals. Since Vasquez has been around the city and involved in events, I am really hoping he signs for a little less while allows us more flexibility with keeping PP.

I think we have around 11 million to spend, so a 7/4 split for PP and GV respectively would be ideal.

Comment

mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                    I have a feeling both of them will want 4 year deals. Since Vasquez has been around the city and involved in events, I am really hoping he signs for a little less while allows us more flexibility with keeping PP.

I think we have around 11 million to spend, so a 7/4 split for PP and GV respectively would be ideal.
                    We have almost 13 and a half!

Comment

We should give 2Pat Amir-like contact. Guy is still young with upside.
                      Myself (March 2014):
                      The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

I'd like to lock them up soon but it doesn't make sense until all the big players make a move. Never know what desperate team looking to dump assets to acquire a superstar is going to come along...so for now we wait until the big shoes drop
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                          We have almost 13 and a half!
                          Ah. Then screw De Colo, and just accept whatever offer PP and GV get. Do we still have the bi-annual exception?

Comment

mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                            ...Do we still have the bi-annual exception?
                            Yes we do.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                              Nope. End of regular season 2015. Tax calculation is done then, so teams can't stock up for the playoffs then shed parts after to clear the tax.

Depends on Lowry's structure. It is between 12.3M and 15.0M, depending on whether and how much Lowry's deal is front or back loaded.

I personally don't think we need to use the mid-level. I'd certainly prefer keeping both RFA's to losing one so we can sign some to an MLE deal. I consider Lou Williams to be our MLE signing.

Out only difference in this seems to be that I trust Fields.
                              That came from a Zach Lowe article I believe. He made a boo-boo.

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                                Yes we do.
                                Ah OK, then we are in a decent situation to get everyone back. I just hope its money PP is after.

Comment

Working...
                                X