Jamaal Magloire and Rick Fox refusing to play for Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaal Magloire and Rick Fox refusing to play for Canada

With all the Canadian talent entering the NBA over the past 4 seasons the future looks bright for Canadian basketball. Players like Cory Joseph, Tristan Thompson, Andrew Wiggins, Nik Stauskas, etc all seem to be committed to the national team. I'm just wondering how you guys feel about past Canadian NBA'ers like Rick Fox and Jamaal Magloire who never represented their country at the Olympics or qualifying tournaments. Their talent combined with Steve Nash and Todd MacCulloch could have helped Canada to a potential medal at the 2000 Olympics. It bugs me that they never played in Sydney. It was a slap in the face to Canada basketball that at the end of his career Jamaal Magloire finally decided to be part of the program and was on the senior men's training camp roster in 2012. It just seemed like he was trying to position himself for a post NBA career with basketball Canada.

Don't think about the past buddy. Canada's basketball is changing FOR THE GOOD.

Times are changing... AND our boys love to play for Canada. I believe in Steve Nash. He'll get the players we need!

Agh.. Beating Spain/Lithuania/France/Argentina in the semis and then crushing USA for the gold medal in olympics would so amazing

Comment

I don't hold it against anyone. Historically, Canadians don't really seem to care about international basketball (a lot of this can be attributed low success/media coverage). It wasn't like if these guys played they'd actually do anything. Not enough talent to just show up and dominate like the US. Not enough time playing together for sub-elite talent to do well (See European/Argentina teams).

However, we're finally reaching the typing point of talent, where even if 2-3 guys chose not to play, we'll still field a roster of NBA players. With a legit shot to contend for a medal there's a lot of incentive for young Canadian players to want to be a part of the team that put Canada Basketball on the world map.

Good times ahead.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

You're right I can't think about the past, and the future is looking good. But since 2000 was our last Olympics and the last time we looked good on the world stage I always wondered if Magloire and Fox could've turned our impressive 7th place finish into a bronze medal. The wounds will only be healed by us qualifying for 2016.

Comment

You're right about players not caring about the national team in the past and I think Magloire may have had some issues with Steve Nash. Lets hope our best commit to the qualifying tournament next summer.

Comment

Hope for the future.

Joseph/Stauskas/Wiggins/Thompson/Olynyk with Bennett and others coming off the bench, very young squad with tons of potential. Can't wait for Olympic qualifiers next year!
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
            X