Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Players don't wanna play in Toronto? No players DO they just don't wanna LOSE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I stand corrected, Wilson Chandler. He would be sufficient for the 2/3 and than for sure we can drop De Colo and save another 1.8 million for his Qualifying offer, and that would show a cost of only 1.2 million to our team allocation.

Comment

I thought this was well known.

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
        We just retained Lowry with a two-time NBA Champion going after him, and two other big market teams also in the hunt.

Difference between this situation and Bosh/VC is that we were coming off a successful 48 win season and have a team that's young and looking to improve. Bosh left following a season where we missed the playoffs, and so did VC.

Players will come to and stay here if we win. That's what matters.
        Not sure that it matters but Miami media has been reporting that Lowry was never contacted and that Lowry's agent played the situation well. If you think about it, how could Miami have talked any money with him when they don't know how much money they even have to spend, with the opting out of their core group?

Think Raps offered him the most money.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
          Maybe the Raptors wouldn't get to 48 wins in a season as a result of a stronger East in some teams, but that does not mean that the result will reflect like they did last season in the playoffs.

Reaching the second round and beyond is the goal next season and its doable.
          The bars been set now and there are no excuses. 50 wins, top 4 seed and 2nd round of playoffs should be lowest goal.

Anything else below that should be viewed as a failure.

Comment

What, how? Right now this team is very compatible to last year. If the Raptors don't win the division they're going to get a tough round 1 match up.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
              The bars been set now and there are no excuses. 50 wins, top 4 seed and 2nd round of playoffs should be lowest goal.

Anything else below that should be viewed as a failure.
              Top four seed is a necessity, 2nd round of playoffs should be the goal, I don't see the significance of getting 50 wins.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                Top four seed is a necessity, 2nd round of playoffs should be the goal, I don't see the significance of getting 50 wins.
                The cachet of being a 50 win team, is a milestone on the road to NBA relevance.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                  This means we can attract/retain free agents and big time ones contrary to Jalen Rose's belief
                  Does it though? Sure we retained Lowry, but that is literally one example. It's generally unwise to make such a sweeping statement based on one example.

And just because we retained Lowry definitely does not show that we can attract free agents as a broad sweeping statement. The situations are way different and I'm sure I don't have to spell out why.
                  A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                    not to be a downer but does anyone think we'll actually reach another 48 win season next year? seems unlikely to me. maybe thats just the overly cautious torontonian sports mindset speaking.

its great that we retained lowry, but we essentially have the exact same team. meanwhile all the other shittier east teams have gotten their potential young stars brewing. really looking to see irving and wiggins on the floor together.
                    Exactly why does it seem unlikely? The only reasons for a regression that I can think of are:

- The Lowry we saw last year was Contract Year Lowry, and his play will drop off (and if anyone wants to make that bet, I'll gladly take it).

- Injuries. We did well with injuries last year.

That's it.

On the flip side, I'd say that there are more convincing reasons that we'll get better:

- The young core has an extra year on growth and experience. Most significantly, both Ross and JV will be going into their third seasons, which is, historically, the season when a player's numbers show their most significant spike upwards. Also, I see Demar making another noticeable step forward, given that he's coming of a year where he was an All-Star + got a bunch of All-NBA votes, and was getting very vocal praise from many of his respected, veteran peers (Pierce, Garnett, etc).

- Continuity. The core of players and coaches has stayed in tact.

- Amir. Seems to me he was playing hurt for a huge chunk of last season (which throws a bit of a wrench into the whole "we didn't lose many games to injury" line of thinking). If he can get healthy, our defence (which was very, very weak for stretches last year) looks a whole lot different.

In conclusion: I think we'll win more games.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                      Does it though? Sure we retained Lowry, but that is literally one example. It's generally unwise to make such a sweeping statement based on one example.

And just because we retained Lowry definitely does not show that we can attract free agents as a broad sweeping statement. The situations are way different and I'm sure I don't have to spell out why.
                      Even keeping one of our own premier free agents is a big deal because we had never done it before without the benefit of a max deal and a restricted free agent (Carter and Bosh). We didn't give Kyle the max or anything close to it, and he was an unrestricted free agent with all the major players after him. Considering Avery Bradley got $8M per year over 4, Gortat got $12M per year over 5, and Irving got $18M per year over 5 years, Lowry's deal is very very reasonable, and maybe even a bargain (particularly compared to Irving, whom Lowry outplayed all year).
                      When we go to bring in a big name free agent in 2015 or 2016 offseason, hopefully players will see a well managed back-to-back division winner that just needs one more player to put them over the top. Instead of a Bryan Colangelo clusterfuck.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                        Even keeping one of our own premier free agents is a big deal because we had never done it before without the benefit of a max deal and a restricted free agent (Carter and Bosh). We didn't give Kyle the max or anything close to it, and he was an unrestricted free agent with all the major players after him. Considering Avery Bradley got $8M per year over 4, Gortat got $12M per year over 5, and Irving got $18M per year over 5 years, Lowry's deal is very very reasonable, and maybe even a bargain (particularly compared to Irving, whom Lowry outplayed all year).
                        When we go to bring in a big name free agent in 2015 or 2016 offseason, hopefully players will see a well managed back-to-back division winner that just needs one more player to put them over the top. Instead of a Bryan Colangelo clusterfuck.
                        Amen
                        Nevermind what haters say,
                        ignore them ’til they fade away. - T.I

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                          not to be a downer but does anyone think we'll actually reach another 48 win season next year? seems unlikely to me. maybe thats just the overly cautious torontonian sports mindset speaking.

its great that we retained lowry, but we essentially have the exact same team. meanwhile all the other shittier east teams have gotten their potential young stars brewing. really looking to see irving and wiggins on the floor together.
                          If 2pat and GV come back and LBJ were to go out west we could be competing with Chicago for top seed in east. We should definitely be in good shape to win out division and I have to believe that's at least 44 wins.

Comment

Money is a big factor too, and playing in a great locker room environment is icing on the cake.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              Exactly why does it seem unlikely? The only reasons for a regression that I can think of are:

- The Lowry we saw last year was Contract Year Lowry, and his play will drop off (and if anyone wants to make that bet, I'll gladly take it).

- Injuries. We did well with injuries last year.

That's it.

On the flip side, I'd say that there are more convincing reasons that we'll get better:

- The young core has an extra year on growth and experience. Most significantly, both Ross and JV will be going into their third seasons, which is, historically, the season when a player's numbers show their most significant spike upwards. Also, I see Demar making another noticeable step forward, given that he's coming of a year where he was an All-Star + got a bunch of All-NBA votes, and was getting very vocal praise from many of his respected, veteran peers (Pierce, Garnett, etc).

- Continuity. The core of players and coaches has stayed in tact.

- Amir. Seems to me he was playing hurt for a huge chunk of last season (which throws a bit of a wrench into the whole "we didn't lose many games to injury" line of thinking). If he can get healthy, our defence (which was very, very weak for stretches last year) looks a whole lot different.

In conclusion: I think we'll win more games.
                              i would say injury/lack thereof of our team and other teams made a huge impact especially in the east. things eventually evened out, which is also why i think we gradually got worse near the end of the season as other east teams started getting better again.

contract year super performances aren't exactly a rarity. statistically, players actually play WORSE than their baseline stats after their contract year. not saying lowry is just going to give up or something, but the numbers are against him.

as for your flipside reasons, those can be used for every other team. its not like the raptors are in some kind of bubble where they're the only ones who will get better through experience. sure, we have the 'same core' to build on, but other weaker teams may or may not have immediate impact stars on their rosters now with parker/wiggins etc. we have brazilian KD.

Comment

No one else in East has gotten better yet as far as I can tell. DRose is still a massive question mark, and they might amnesty boozer so that doesn't really make them better.
                                Nets are getting worse for sure. Heat are a big question mark. Wiz still look pretty good but I think we're better. Indy is likely to lose Stephenson so not getting better.
                                So far so good on the Eastern front for the Raptors to be a top team. Our division will be pathetic, so we should cruise to a division title at the least.

Comment

Working...
                                X