Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's All About the Money. If You Think It Isn't, Check Your Numbers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's All About the Money. If You Think It Isn't, Check Your Numbers.

Happy day in Raptors land with Kyle Lowry signing for three and maybe four years. A good deal for him and a good value for the Raptors. We have guessed at the reasons for his signing and some have suggested team chemistry, a team on the rise, his love for the city and the fans etc. etc. I am suggesting that it is all about the money.

Could he have gotten a larger contract somewhere? Maybe. Could he have gotten better value for himself? Not likely.

Here's my thoughts. First, lets admit that good agents are at least as capable as good coaches or good GM's. When you are making the kind of money agents make, you can afford a staff, both full-time and contract. You can pay people to monitor trends, media mentions, social media chat, forum mentions etc. You can also collect advanced stats information and I am sure you do. You know exactly what an all-star appearance is worth, what being in the top ten in statistical measures is worth and what it means to be on a good, mediocre, bad, improving or worsening team.

Kyle might have been able to get an extra million someplace, but I doubt he would get the press coverage he does if he stays in Toronto, where he is acknowledged as the engine of the Raptors. With an improved team, the Raps will be getting more media coverage and winning fans throughout the league. Lowry will be getting more attention and coverage, at the same time as he will be seen running the team. In particular, the Raps will be getting more American national coverage next year after their playoff run.

Kyle and his agent are aware of all of that. With the particular mix of players the Raptors have, it is reasonable to assume that Kyle's numbers next year remain near, or possibly even go higher than they were this year. It was widely reported last year that Kyle was snubbed for the All-Star game and I think, if the Raps have success in the coming season, that he gets the nod this year. I don't see that happening if he is on Houston or the Heat or the Lakes, where is is a third or fourth wheel. An all-star appearance (first of several) would be money in the bank for Kyle.

These are just a few of the reasons whey I think Kyle's best money decision was to resign with the Raps. Not to mention the benefits of the three year with ETO deal.

Interesting post. I agree with you, that this is the best situation for Toronto and for him. He would be a moot point in Houston, LA, or Miami since he would shadow all the great players there.

For all those saying he loves this team, I don't think that plays into formula as much as we think. Lowry put the ETO to see where the Raptors are in 3 years. If they still are at this level (first round exit), he will leave.

Comment

Kyle has limited competition in Canada for endorsement deals, we're talking a 30 million people market where he's the best at a sport gaining much popularity and notoriety. No doubt Wiggins is gonna get his Canadian endorsement money but he's not wearing the red, white and black. He doesn't have a maple leaf on his jersey.

A few years back JYD eluded to the endorcement deal advantage of being a star player for the Raptors when essentially asked about the pros and cons of being a Raptor. He shared this sentiment.

And if the Raptors keep making the playoffs ESPN will start carrying some of their games and highlighting their games. He's the star and he will get a lot of the acknowledgement both good and bad. That's what comes with being the star. I agree with some of the ideas in this thread, he made the right choice to stay.

Comment

mjt20mik wrote: View Post
        Interesting post. I agree with you, that this is the best situation for Toronto and for him. He would be a moot point in Houston, LA, or Miami since he would shadow all the great players there.
        This. He likes being "the man" here.
        Worst Behaviour

Comment

Drake wrote: View Post
          This. He likes being "the man" here.
          And, as has been pointed out here, and no doubt by his agent, being "the Man" translates into dollars, outside of pure salary.

Comment

The same can be said for the team.

Someone needs to sell all that pasta

Comment

Working...
            X