No announcement yet.

Did San Antonio Show Us All Something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did San Antonio Show Us All Something?

I've been pouring over twitter and basketball blogs for the last 3 days and I had a thought occur to me...JUST NOW

Thought I would leave it open to discussion

Did San Antonio show the league once and for all that it is best to play in a team environment where everyone takes a little pay cut to be in a good situation?

I've watched as one after another of Miami's alleged targets as well as players that would fit what they do get paid instead of riding Lebron's coat tails to get a ring.

There are many reasons why guys sign where they do BUT consider the total picture

1.) Marcin Gortat...likely could have snagged the MLE to go and run with the Heat. He opts to get paid fairly I would add (years 4 and 5 could be questionable in that regard but for now its a good deal) and stay on an up and coming team.

2.) Jodie Meeks...is tailor made for the Miami system. He could totally be a minimum guy in Miami and snag a ring by jacking 3s in the corner. He opts to go to Detroit where SVG is known for a very team oriented offense AND gets paid.

3.) Shaun Livingtson... Miami loves their versatile guys. He can guard 3 positions and has a high bball IQ. He goes to a situation in Golden State where he gets paid AND is part of a team on the rise.

4.) Kyle Lowry... He choose the money and to be the man instead of ring chasing.

I'm curious to see if this thesis holds up. I would love nothing more than to see Miami desperately trying to plug holes like the Lakers last season and remain relevant as this super team formula blows up.

What do you think...is the league finally getting wise to the team over individual model?

Are good players going to stop sacrificing substantial pay days for the CHANCE to win a ring?
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

The Spurs winning the championship of the Heat is HUGE and I agree that it has changed the landscape of the NBA completely. I definitely believe that many decisions made by the FA's this offseason reflect the lessons learned in the 5 game routing of the Miami superteam.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

If SAS as shown anything, is that it is a stupid idea to overpay on the FA market instead of player development.
      Myself (March 2014):
      The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
        If SAS as shown anything, is that it is a stupid idea to overpay on the FA market instead of player development.
        Very True. They showed us how important those picks at the late first round and 2nd round really are and you can not just gamble them away. They thought us good coaching and system are important part of the game and that players with ego should not be treated like GOD and given all they want.

SA is all about efficiency and doing your homework.

Comment

OP, I'm not sure I follow. If the Spurs showed everyone "it is best to play in a team environment where everyone takes a little pay cut to be in a good situation", why did all the guys you listed take more money?

I think a more accurate argument would be "it is still possible to play in a team environment, get paid, and be part of a winning situation."

And even that I think is a tough generalization, because ultimately there is one market/environment for superstars, and another for everyone else. Melo and Love are probably not going to end up on teams where they are the sole superstar on a solid team, they are probably going to end up with other stars.

I would love nothing more than for the Heat to crash and burn, but as long as the Big Three is together, I think it'll mostly be an arms race for the rest of the elite talent. There really is only one Gregg Popovich.

Our own team is looking solid though. I'm amazed that Masai was able to re-stock with two young prospects. That is definitely Spurs-esque.

Comment

They showed that Lebron couldn't win it all by himself. Nothing new here, it was the same thing that was shown when he was in Cleveland.

Comment

I think the Spurs showed these vet players that you can't just sign in Miami and automatically get a ring anymore. There is no point in taking a pay cut if you're not going to win the title, and Miami looks like a team on the way down now, not on the way up. Guys are probably more inclined to sign with OKC for cheap if they wanna chase a ring.

I live in Miami and can't wait for the fallout if Lebron leaves. I'll be listening to local sports radio 24/7 to hear them bitch and moan as their team implodes on itself. Good luck selling the Bosh Wade duo to season ticket holders. America Airlines Arena will be a fucking ghost town with all the fair weather fans here.

Comment

Outside of Houston, I don't see a great opportunity for teams to try to recreate the super-team model at the moment.

What incentive do people currently have to sign as free agents in Miami? Pat Riley can promise them championship rings all he wants, but they could just as easily sign with the Heat and have all three (Bosh, LeBron and Wade) choose to leave town.

Who would sign with a team with so many unknown elements to it? If LeBron was still under contract, I'm confident that Miami would have already secured at least one or two free agents.
                http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

look the effort a team like Houston is going through to try and recreate the Miami model.

meanwhile if they had been organically building a team they might actually be ahead of the game

Even now

D-Mo would be a decent stretch 4 reserve. Terrence Jones is turning into something good. Chandler Parsons is stepping up. Patrick Beverley is an interesting player. Instead they just keep dumping assets in pursuit of what has proven to be a tough to sustain model.
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

since 2011 Houston has shipped out the following guys in pursuit of a super team.

Marcus Morris
                    Jordan Hill
                    Chase Budinger
                    Jeremy Lamb
                    Omer Asik
                    Carlos Delfino
                    Kevin Martin
                    Shaun Livingston
                    Patrick Patterson
                    Aaron Brooks
                    Goran Dragic
                    Nikola Mirotic
                    Kyle Lowry

So much talent pissed away just to acquire to build a team in an unsustainable model

Comment

they showed us how to love again
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                        since 2011 Houston has shipped out the following guys in pursuit of a super team.

Marcus Morris
                        Jordan Hill
                        Chase Budinger
                        Jeremy Lamb
                        Omer Asik
                        Carlos Delfino
                        Kevin Martin
                        Shaun Livingston
                        Patrick Patterson

Aaron Brooks
                        Goran Dragic
                        Nikola Mirotic
                        Kyle Lowry

So much talent pissed away just to acquire to build a team in an unsustainable model
                        It's actually kinda funny....The sheer amount of guys they've been willing to part with, but now they could really use at least a couple of the bolded....They've let go of several stretch PFs (Morris, Patman, Mirotic), 2 starting PGs and a great backup (Lowry, Dragic, Livingston), a quality backup wing (Budinger), and an at least decent backup PF/C (Hill).

Are they better off in the big picture sense? Currently, yes. They got their 2 superstars to build around and still can keep Parsons. But in the long run, can they fill the holes they need to? We'll see. Every time they make a big play it becomes harder.

Comment

Paycuts are a major component, but it has a lot to do with motivation as well. There's nothing worse than sitting on the bench with the game on the line, keeping your ego in check even though you practiced week-in, week-out for this particular game situation. It makes it all the more special when a Vazquez (who was/should be an NBA starter) is totally committed to a bench role for the T-Dot. That kind of commitment is hard to come by.
                          Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

just because miami didn't win 3 titles in a row doesn't mean they have a failed model.

the spurs were ALREADY a multiple championship team long before miami was put together. they decisively lost this year, but they still went 2 of 4, while at least making it to the finals every year.

Comment

They showed how fucking awful Dwyane Wade is, and how ridiculously overrated Pat Riley's team-building skills and Erik Spoelstra's coaching ability are.

Comment

Working...
                              X