Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the Raptors lacking a true direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Raptors lacking a true direction?

This draft is so confusing. We are coming off a 4th seed (albeit in a really weak east) and 1 play away from the 2nd round seed. We need some seriously help at SF on defence, 3pt shooting and a backup C. We go into the draft targeting a PG when we have 2 solid PGs then when that PG is taken we end up drafting a guy that is 5 years away on a team that is clearly designed focused now and not rebuilding (considering last year when he had a chance to tank in a ridiculously deep draft but chose to power on). Then we trade Salmons for an injured Lou Williams and another guy that is a 5 year project. Now Salmons wasn't that good so I can understand just trading him away for anything but the draft has been bugging me. Why would we draft a guy that a 5 year project that we had pegged at 37 going into the draft over a guy that can fill our needs now later in the draft. We could have gotten Hood to fix our 3pt shooting issues. If we really wanted a guy with high upside KJ McDanials is perfect for this team considering he's a highly athletic elite defender at 3 position who is only lacking a jumper from being great (he kinda looks like Jimmy Butler).

We still haven't really done anything in FA to improve this team so far. We signed Lowry which is good (although coming off a contract year and giving him 12 million a year might be high but it's not too bad), Vasquez and 2Pat might or might not take the qualifying offer so it really begs the question. In a east that is getting a lot better all around us. What are the Raptors really doing to get better? We seem to be trying to do everything and not doing anything particularly good. We are half assing trying to compete while also trying to rebuild at the same time. Teams all around us are getting a lot better but we seem to lack a direction. Is Ujiri tying to win now or trying to rebuild?

Nope, not lacking direction, doing great.

Maintain momentum while gaining pieces to make us better a few years down the line. We're just beginning to compete, no point in rushing it. 4 year plan baby
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

We were the 4th seed last year partly because of us but mostly due to the circumstances of other teams. We were one play away from going to the second round and getting demolished by the Heat. The team was good last year. As it stands, with the few moves made so far, the team is at least a bit better and has more potential, not less. That's going forward. Depending on your perspective, that's all you can ask for.

Comment

First of all, we came in third last year.

Second of all, drafting a guy that's five years away isn't an issue when you're core is all young.

To answer your question, Masai is focused on how good we'll be in about three to four years (DD, Ross, JV, PP will be in their prime and Bruno, Bebe and our picks next year will be solid contributors) since that's our championship window but making sure we're competitive now so we can gain experience.

Moves like Bruno and Bebe is to make sure we're good long term.

Moves like resigning guys like Lowry and Amir next year is to make sure we're not the 76ers.

Pretty much we want to be pretty good until our players develop and we have a chance at a FA to contend for a title.

At least that's what I think Masai's plan is. It seems like no one can predict what he's thinking.

Comment

I dont think the direction can be any clearer than this... we are building off the assets we have, accumulating assets and developing the youngins we have.

if by direction you mean sign 3 Big name FA like the Heat and compete or ship out all our players like Philly and tank for the draft; then you are being ignorant.

Masai is just playing with the cards he is dealt with.

Comment

I hope you were not expecting the draft to actually be a significant tool to improve. It would be a miracle if any player drafted at 20 would come in and help right away. Best-case looking at their 2nd or 3rd year before they can contribute in a meaningful way. With Caboclo, that is less likely and if he's in the rotation by year 3 that's a home run even if he's just a role player (with a 7'7'' freakin wingspan!! I can not get over that).

Try not to destroy flexibility....Try to keep the team winning which is great experience for young guys. Gradually move out bad pieces for good ones, and replace vets at the end of the bench with youth sprinkled in. We have 2 young Brazilian guys, 3 1st round picks in the next 2 years, and who knows if Masai pulls any deals for more youth. If even just 2-3 young guys turn into anything rotation-worthy, that's great.

Our team has gotten better, has gotten younger, and has become more flexible. I'm hoping that can all be maintained. Flexibility will be tough if everyone is re-signed to multiyear deals.

So Masai is trying to win while also rebuilding the team. Something to note....we are not contenders. We're not likely to be contenders when Lowry and DeMar are our two best players. It's possible they could both be part of a championship team, but again, not likely as its best players. So getting younger is very important, as we could very well be more than a couple of years away from having a real window for contending. We could get lucky if we strike gold in free agency in 2015 or 2016 (hoping that if there's no real option in 2015 Masai will find a way to maintain big capspace for 2016).

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
              First of all, we came in third last year.

Second of all, drafting a guy that's five years away isn't an issue when you're core is all young.

To answer your question, Masai is focused on how good we'll be in about three to four years (DD, Ross, JV, PP will be in their prime and Bruno, Bebe and our picks next year will be solid contributors) since that's our championship window but making sure we're competitive now so we can gain experience.

Moves like Bruno and Bebe is to make sure we're good long term.

Moves like resigning guys like Lowry and Amir next year is to make sure we're not the 76ers.

Pretty much we want to be pretty good until our players develop and we have a chance at a FA to contend for a title.

At least that's what I think Masai's plan is. It seems like no one can predict what he's thinking.
              The core is entering their prime right now or soon. Amir is 27, Demar is 25, Lowry 28, 2Pat 25, Hansbrough 28 and Vasquez 27. So basically when Bruno possibly might learn to play the game and get half decent our key guys are going to be 30-33 years old.

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              I hope you were not expecting the draft to actually be a significant tool to improve. It would be a miracle if any player drafted at 20 would come in and help right away. Best-case looking at their 2nd or 3rd year before they can contribute in a meaningful way. With Caboclo, that is less likely and if he's in the rotation by year 3 that's a home run even if he's just a role player (with a 7'7'' freakin wingspan!! I can not get over that).

Try not to destroy flexibility....Try to keep the team winning which is great experience for young guys. Gradually move out bad pieces for good ones, and replace vets at the end of the bench with youth sprinkled in. We have 2 young Brazilian guys, 3 1st round picks in the next 2 years, and who knows if Masai pulls any deals for more youth. If even just 2-3 young guys turn into anything rotation-worthy, that's great.

Our team has gotten better, has gotten younger, and has become more flexible. I'm hoping that can all be maintained. Flexibility will be tough if everyone is re-signed to multiyear deals.

So Masai is trying to win while also rebuilding the team. Something to note....we are not contenders. We're not likely to be contenders when Lowry and DeMar are our two best players. It's possible they could both be part of a championship team, but again, not likely as its best players. So getting younger is very important, as we could very well be more than a couple of years away from having a real window for contending. We could get lucky if we strike gold in free agency in 2015 or 2016 (hoping that if there's no real option in 2015 Masai will find a way to maintain big capspace for 2016).
              KJ McDanials can play D now and he's a freak athlete (he doesn't have a 7ft 7 wingspan but he is still really athletic). Hood can come in and contribute with his 3pt shooting. There are guys in this draft that were available that count have contributed to this team.
              Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Thu Jul 3, 2014, 09:06 PM.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                We go into the draft targeting a PG when we have 2 solid PGs then when that PG is taken we end up drafting a guy that is 5 years away on a team that is clearly designed focused now and not rebuilding (considering last year when he had a chance to tank in a ridiculously deep draft but chose to power on). Then we trade Salmons for an injured Lou Williams and another guy that is a 5 year project. Now Salmons wasn't that good so I can understand just trading him away for anything but the draft has been bugging me. Why would we draft a guy that a 5 year project that we had pegged at 37 going into the draft over a guy that can fill our needs now later in the draft.

We still haven't really done anything in FA to improve this team so far. We signed Lowry which is good (although coming off a contract year and giving him 12 million a year might be high but it's not too bad), Vasquez and 2Pat might or might not take the qualifying offer so it really begs the question. In a east that is getting a lot better all around us. What are the Raptors really doing to get better? We seem to be trying to do everything and not doing anything particularly good. We are half assing trying to compete while also trying to rebuild at the same time
                Reading your thought a couple things jump out at me that would explain why you feel we're lacking direction.

The biggest one being your belief this team is designed to compete now. We started two sophomores last year. I cannot think of a team that's has ever looked at going all in while doing that. I believe this core is nowhere near it's ceiling and it was always how far JV, DD and TR could improve that would determine future success. That idea of having 3 high potential players excited me.

Now after this draft we have Bruno and Bebe to add to that list of high potential, while maintaining the ability to compete for a playoff spot next year. We actually improved our future ceiling and our ability to compete next year. That's impressive.

As for our direction? It would appear to me that MU wants to develop that culture of hard working attitude and show the young guys how to be a team. Then when our young guys hit their prime? I'm excited for the two to meet.... 5 years down the road. This Is how a rebuild should be done, slowly and steadily. I have no hopes of being serious contenders until then

Comment

Mcdaniels could defend college guys. Hood could shoot the college three. Couple years until they translate to the NBA consistently.

And our true core is TR, DD and JV.

In 4 years we'll have a 28 year old Derozan, a 27 year old Ross, a 26 year old Valanciunas, a 29 year old Patterson, a 22 year old Bruno, a 25 year old Bebe. Add to that 3 first round picks in the next two years and all our cap space and our prime is in about 4 years.

Plus a 32 year old Lowry should still be able to play. 31 year old Vasquez. 31 year old Amir.

Comment

Raptors are in good situation.
                    Young core,raptors probably have the best young upcoming talent in association with T Ross and JV,plus Bruno(gotta gut feeling he will be something very surprising and special). Money wise,2 guys signed 2 long term deals,Derozan and Lowry(20 million)bargain. After next year,raptors will have only 2 guys signed long term,they will be so under the cap(Only Steve novak is under contract after this year). Also JV and T Ross have team options and raptors have birds right,so eventually they will b signed long term deals in near future.
                    "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                    My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

I honestly think MU is trying to build a program that is always successful. He's building a program that is strong in developing young players. On top of that he has been making moves to acquire young pieces. I don't think there will be any huge FA signings, MU will sign young players that have the potential to fit our team/program and be successful. They have really invest in scouting. After Amir, Lowry, DeMar hit their prime, there will be new players reaching theirs and hopefully it will be a continuous cycle. We may have windows at championships but I really believe that MU's vision is to never have to have a full rebuild. With winning comes better FA's as well.

Comment

The core is entering their prime right now or soon. Amir is 27, Demar is 25, Lowry 28, 2Pat 25, Hansbrough 28 and Vasquez 27. So basically when Bruno possibly might learn to play the game and get half decent our key guys are going to be 30-33 years old
                        And this is the second issue, I don't believe Amir, Lowry, 2pat, Vasquez or hansbrough are core guys, at least in terms of the future raptors team that will compete. They're hard working and classy professionals. They have the mentality you want your young guys to learn.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                          Mcdaniels could defend college guys. Hood could shoot the college three. Couple years until they translate to the NBA consistently.

And our true core is TR, DD and JV.

In 4 years we'll have a 28 year old Derozan, a 27 year old Ross, a 26 year old Valanciunas, a 29 year old Patterson, a 22 year old Bruno, a 25 year old Bebe. Add to that 3 first round picks in the next two years and all our cap space and our prime is in about 4 years.

Plus a 32 year old Lowry should still be able to play. 31 year old Vasquez. 31 year old Amir.
                          completely agree, and to add:

competing the next couple of years helps us long term (ie when that core develops) by making us attractive to free agents.
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

KJ McDanials can play D now and he's a freak athlete (he doesn't have a 7ft 7 wingspan but he is still really athletic). Hood can come in and contribute with his 3pt shooting. There are guys in this draft that were available that count have contributed to this team.
                            That's an assumption. McDaniels was defending college players. His D might not be as good as, say, Fields, as a rookie coming in. He also does not have anything to really offer on O. So what would he contribute? **EDIT: Also, McDaniels doesn't have the size to fill the great weakness of lacking a defensive SF, so there's that.

Hood was a good shooter, but not always consistent, and shooting the college 3. He also doesn't commit to D and basically is a guy who projects as a shooter who could do other things on O with time. We don't need to draft a shooter who can't play D.

In fact, you don't really need to draft either type of guy. Such role players are often available in free agency, and if you ever feel it's the last piece of a contender puzzle, you can find them. The same way I really didn't want to draft Napier....there were like 10 PG free agents who you could bring in with similar skills but proven in the NBA.

However, finding high ceiling guys who have a chance to be more than just role players is difficult. Very difficult. You need to take advantage of any chance you get to do so, even if it means drafting a project who could bust. It's especially important for a team like Toronto, which has never attracted a big-name guy (pre-emptive Hakeem in semi-retirement doesn't count), and thus needs the draft as an option to find a surprise or two.
                            Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Jul 3, 2014, 09:32 PM.

Comment

...Why would we draft a guy that a 5 year project that we had pegged at 37 going into the draft over a guy that can fill our needs now later in the draft...
                              Because, as Masai said after the draft, the project wouldn't be there at 37, the Raps only had one draft pick (#20) that they could use to grab him, and they thought he had more upside than anyone else between 20 and 37. All of this was clearly explained in the media and by the Raps management in the days after the draft. You need to pay closer attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X