Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Toronto in the Top or Bottom half of the League in terms of attractiveness to a Free Agent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mjt20mik wrote: View Post
    Winning helps, but I think we need to get a player that just attracts media. When VC was here, we started off terrible, but we still got some games because he was a walking highlight reel.
    That would be ideal but finding a player like that is like catching lightning in a bottle.

Comment

Depends on who you're asking. Is Toronto a top 5 or even a top 10 destination to a top teir player? probably not when there are warmer climates, better endorsements and bigger cities they can have their choice of.

Is Toronto a top destination for everyone else that just wants to get paid and doesn't have the options a top teir player does.

I would rank in no particular order, the following teams to be more attractive than Toronto to players because of a combination of weather and city itself:

Lakers
      Clippers
      Golden State
      Phoenix
      New York
      Chicago
      Miami
      Orlando
      Dallas
      Houston

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        It just seems agents and whatnot love to play the taxes card and it kind of scares them away. the weather obviously isn't as nice as a lot of the key cities, but it's really not that much worse than say boston or NY. plus it's easily one of the safest cities.
        From the player's personal point of view, quality of life and quality of the club they are joining probably matter much more than the money: they probably have enough money that a little here or there for taxes is secondary.

From the agent's point of view, money is number one. They don't have to live in the city or play on that time.

Comment

I can't see Wiggins and DeRozan fitting together.. But Ross and Wiggins would fit beautifully

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Toronto is the fourth largest city in NA and third largest market in the NBA after NY,LA. If the Raptors clean up the management and become perpetual #1 or #2 seed, they are a very desirable location.Also, being Canada's only NBA team, national endorsements are available. Miami, SA and Dallas are small markets and second tier in their own States. It took a Babcock and Coangelo to destroy the NBA in Toronto.

Comment

Good poll. I think most people got it right .. middle of the pack. Will never touch the marquee franchises (LAL, NYK, BOS, CHI), trails the good teams / locations (LAC, GSW, DAL, SAS, OKC, BRK) and the low state taxers (HOU, DAL, MIA) (who happen to be pretty good teams too) ... after that, we are right in the mix. Clearly ahead of the doormats (MIL, CHA, PHI, MIN), and the nowheresvilles (IND, DET, UTAH, DEN) in line with teams like WAS, POR, ORL (not now maybe), ATL, etc

Comment

Start wining and things will change.

Comment

I think we can all agree that Toronto should be a much more attractive destination than it is currently perceived by outsiders, and we've moved up from a bottom 3 destination, but we still have a lot of work to do. Based on weather, taxes, size, ownership/FO, history of winning, and current situation, I'd guess the tiers look something like this:

Worst
                  Milwaukee
                  Minnesota
                  Cleveland
                  Utah

Below Average
                  Detroit
                  New Orleans
                  Toronto
                  Denver
                  Washington
                  Charlotte

Average
                  Atlanta
                  San Antonio
                  Philadelphia
                  Portland
                  Memphis
                  Orlando
                  OKC
                  Indiana
                  Sacramento

Above average
                  Boston
                  Chicago
                  LA Clippers
                  Houston
                  Dallas
                  Golden State
                  Phoenix
                  Brooklyn

Best
                  LA Lakers
                  New York
                  Miami

I'd say that there are a number of teams that have moved up or down in the last decade. The Clippers used to be a wasteland despite being in LA. Charlotte would be the same but things look positive for the first time in a long time.

I think if we become a contender we could move into the above average category, but we'll never be one of the best markets just because of geography, weather, climate, and taxes.

Comment

I think Toronto is attractive to many International players because every other country hates America.
                    A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

Not every country hates America, a great many people in each country like or dislike the USA. Life is not as black and white as you have presented.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                        Teams currently worse off:

1. Sixers
                        2. Kings
                        3. Cleveland
                        4. Milwaukee
                        5. Detroit
                        6. Pelicans
                        7. Charlotte
                        8. Utah
                        9. Minnesota
                        10. Orlando
                        11. Denver
                        Tied with : Washington, Lakers

Even though the Sixers, Kings, Pelicans, and Orlando aren't very good, I think a lot of people wouldn't mind living there due to location.

Lakers will always be top 5 because they're the Lakers.

Atlanta would be there because they don't have the best fans and Atlanta's not the best area.

Comment

I'd just like to point out that Miami wasn't much of a free agent destination prior to Superfriends. Their draw is almost solely due to their current roster.

Comment

GoldenBaller wrote: View Post
                            I think Toronto is attractive to many International players because every other country hates America.
                            They hate it but they all want to live there.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              I'd just like to point out that Miami wasn't much of a free agent destination prior to Superfriends. Their draw is almost solely due to their current roster.
                              and the beach

and the women on the beach
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

if you think that isn't a draw you've never been to miami beach as a young millionaire
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X