Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Patience desperately needed: Look how far Raptors have come in a year

Post Thanks / Like

Default Patience desperately needed: Look how far Raptors have come in a year

A lot has happened in the past year and a bit for the Raptors. Tim Leiweke was hired, BC was reassigned, Masai was hired, and BC left the building. That was all off the court. On the court has seen dramatic changes as well.

This was the Raptors line up at the end of the 2012-13 season (34-48):

PG: Lowry, Telfair, JL3
    SG: DeRozan, Anderson, Fields
    SF: Gay, Ross, Kleiza, Pietrus
    PF: Amir, Acy, Bargnani*
    C: Valanciunas, Gray

*Injured

Draft pick situation: none in 2013, all first rounders moving forward
    Prospects: Zubcic

This was the Raptors line up at the end of the 2013-14 season (48-34):

PG: Lowry, Vasquez, Stone, Buycks
    SG: DeRozan, Salmons, De Colo
    SF: Ross, Fields, Novak
    PF: Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough
    C: Valanciunas, Hayes

Draft pick situation: all first rounders moving forward, plus lower of DEN/NYK 2016
    Prospects: Zubcic

This is still an unfinished line up heading in to 2014-15:

PG: Lowry, Stone*, Buycks*
    SG: DeRozan, Williams, Fields
    SF: Ross, Novak, Bruno
    PF: Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough
    C: Valanciunas, Hayes, Bebe

*Not guaranteed contract

Draft pick situation: all first rounders moving forward, plus lower of DEN/NYK 2016
    Prospects: Daniels, Zubcic
    Restricted free agents: Patterson, Vasquez, De Colo

This is what Toronto has on the books for 2015-16:

PG: Lowry,
    SG: DeRozan
    SF: Ross, Novak, Bruno
    PF: Patterson
    C: JV, Bebe

$42M committed + 1st round pick

So what are the points here?
    1. The Raptors have come a long way in a short amount of time.
    2. 3 players who ended the 2012-13 season on the roster were no longer in the NBA last year.
    3. Only 5 players remain who ended the 2012-13 season today.
    4. The team is on the right track for sustainable growth and contention.

Enjoy the ride Raptor fans!
    The team is no longer looking for quick fixes and short cuts only to maybe reach the playoffs.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Jul 4th, 2014 at 02:48 PM.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

2. Like Sam17, FoxMachine, ceez, ball4life liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Trust in Masai

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at 2012-2013 team, and comparing it to the 2013-2014, there was so much change.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Raptors Republic Starter Bonus Jonas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice post

But what 5 guys aren't in the NBA anymore? I can only count Pietrus and Kleiza. Isn't Gray still on Sacramento?

Telfair just signed, JL3 is probably staying in Utah, Acy and Anderson are still on NBA teams.

And is Zubcic ever coming over?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
    Nice post

But what 5 guys aren't in the NBA anymore? I can only count Pietrus and Kleiza. Isn't Gray still on Sacramento?

Telfair just signed, JL3 is probably staying in Utah, Acy and Anderson are still on NBA teams.

And is Zubcic ever coming over?
    You're right.

My bad.

There are 3 not in league last year. Although technically I think we should say 4 and include Bargnani. Dude checked oooooooooout!

I included Telfair because he wasn't in league last year. He is signed to unguaranteed contract for next season though with OKC.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

pretty crazy stuff... what's really interesting to me is what happens next

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

People will try to say that most of our core guys (Lowry, DeRozan, Ross, Amir, JV) are all BC guys. That's sort of irrelevant. BC actually did have a good eye for talent and has always been pretty solid when it comes to the draft (which is why I don't understand why the hell he kept trading all our picks). His problems were: knowing what to pay to retain/acquire that talent (*cough* Fields *cough* Bargs *cough* Gay *cough* Kapono... you get it), recognizing which pieces fit together and a complete and utter lack of patience.

I can only imagine what BC would've done after that 6-12 start. Probably dealt Lowry for Jennings, and shipped off Valanciunas and parts for Tyson Chandler.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sooo... whatsup with this Zubcic guy?
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    You're right.

My bad.

There are 3 not in league last year. Although technically I think we should say 4 and include Bargnani. Dude checked oooooooooout!

I included Telfair because he wasn't in league last year. He is signed to unguaranteed contract for next season though with OKC.
    PRIMO OUT!

Sounds like a mafia about pasta.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Drafted him 56th overall in 2012, 6'11 SF/PF. Playing in Croatia if I'm not mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
    Drafted him 56th overall in 2012, 6'11 SF/PF. Playing in Croatia if I'm not mistaken.
    How old is he now? Is he any good?

Post Thanks / Like

all hail based Masai
    @jerboat

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

MU has done great this off season. Not over paying for the role players and signing Lowry to a reasonable contract are all steps in the right direction.

Now, he has Hayes, Novak and Fields to move to get a good SF ... This team needs a good SF ( 7-8 million a year) ...

I am willing to give up 2nd round picks to move any of those 3 guys.
    Last edited by Jamshid; Fri Jul 4th, 2014 at 01:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    all hail based Masai
    I wonder if he'll promise to get Lil B to remove the curse as part of the pitch to bring durant here
    @Boymusic66

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

MU from his time at Denver has shown to be good at moving small players and also moving stars for smaller pieces. However, in his resume, he does not signing a SUPER STAR ... Can he do it ... This team will need a Super star in a year or so to make the next step and get out of the 2nd round.

Raptors Republic All-Star Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this summer has been a reward for the patient. "Desperately needed" seems terribly melodramatic to me now that the major questions are settled

With the core locked in, now we have to figure out what our ceiling is. We need to see what kind of progress Val and Ross make before any real huge moves, but if we can somehow get Thaddeus Young off of Philly, I think he'd he a terrific fit here, both culture and age-wise. His contract also wouldn't hurt us in 2016.

If we are going to make a serious run at Durant we probably need to make an ECF by 2016.

Raptors Republic All-Star Scraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    The Croatian Dirk? He's about two years away from being ten years away.

19. Like Michel G, mcHAPPY, TSF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I think this summer has been a reward for the patient. "Desperately needed" seems terribly melodramatic to me now that the major questions are settled

With the core locked in, now we have to figure out what our ceiling is. We need to see what kind of progress Val and Ross make before any real huge moves, but if we can somehow get Thaddeus Young off of Philly, I think he'd he a terrific fit here, both culture and age-wise. His contract also wouldn't hurt us in 2016.

If we are going to make a serious run at Durant we probably need to make an ECF by 2016.
    Potential:

Demar --> Allstar already, room to become even BETTER
    Lowry --> Possible Allstar this year, should've been last year imo
    Ross ---> Potential Star player, will reevaluate after this year
    Val ----> Potential top 3 Centre in the league. Can become perennial Allstar
    Bruno --> No limit to his potential (could be a franchise player, or a role player)
    Bebe ---> Potential defensive star

All these potential STARS are now surrounded by serious glue (Amir, Patterson, Vasquez). The ceiling of this team, if they totally buy in on Defence this year, is really unbounded. Easily top 3 in the East, we could get 2nd seed as early as next year. Maybe even reach the NBA finals (probably not, but ECF would be likely). I see us winning 54 games this upcoming season, and the season before Durant, 56 games. We would be REALLY enticing for Durant to hop on board.

Post Thanks / Like

Why though? We already have 2Pat and Amir. I don't see why we'd want to give up either for Young.
    @Boymusic66

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahahaha, I was thinking about the same thing. I want to know what would be everyone's expectations when the dust is settled this year ... I am going to open a thread in week or two after we know where James and Melo are going and how the east looks like.

As far as making ECF by 2016, you are 100%. We don't have to necessarily win the east but we have to have a YOUNG and TALENTED team that is able to compete at that level.

MU has been great in getting role player but this team to make it to next level need a guy like T.Young at SF. We are not going far with the hole we have at SF.

Organic Growth of Big Val is a an important factor as well. what he does this summer will say a lot about the type of players he is going to be and how much this team can rely on him.

Lets see what MU will do

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information