No announcement yet.

Patience desperately needed: Look how far Raptors have come in a year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this summer has been a reward for the patient. "Desperately needed" seems terribly melodramatic to me now that the major questions are settled

With the core locked in, now we have to figure out what our ceiling is. We need to see what kind of progress Val and Ross make before any real huge moves, but if we can somehow get Thaddeus Young off of Philly, I think he'd he a terrific fit here, both culture and age-wise. His contract also wouldn't hurt us in 2016.

If we are going to make a serious run at Durant we probably need to make an ECF by 2016.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
      Sooo... whatsup with this Zubcic guy?
      The Croatian Dirk? He's about two years away from being ten years away.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
        I think this summer has been a reward for the patient. "Desperately needed" seems terribly melodramatic to me now that the major questions are settled

With the core locked in, now we have to figure out what our ceiling is. We need to see what kind of progress Val and Ross make before any real huge moves, but if we can somehow get Thaddeus Young off of Philly, I think he'd he a terrific fit here, both culture and age-wise. His contract also wouldn't hurt us in 2016.

If we are going to make a serious run at Durant we probably need to make an ECF by 2016.
        Potential:

Demar --> Allstar already, room to become even BETTER
        Lowry --> Possible Allstar this year, should've been last year imo
        Ross ---> Potential Star player, will reevaluate after this year
        Val ----> Potential top 3 Centre in the league. Can become perennial Allstar
        Bruno --> No limit to his potential (could be a franchise player, or a role player)
        Bebe ---> Potential defensive star

All these potential STARS are now surrounded by serious glue (Amir, Patterson, Vasquez). The ceiling of this team, if they totally buy in on Defence this year, is really unbounded. Easily top 3 in the East, we could get 2nd seed as early as next year. Maybe even reach the NBA finals (probably not, but ECF would be likely). I see us winning 54 games this upcoming season, and the season before Durant, 56 games. We would be REALLY enticing for Durant to hop on board.
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Why though? We already have 2Pat and Amir. I don't see why we'd want to give up either for Young.
          @Boymusic66

Comment

Hahahaha, I was thinking about the same thing. I want to know what would be everyone's expectations when the dust is settled this year ... I am going to open a thread in week or two after we know where James and Melo are going and how the east looks like.

As far as making ECF by 2016, you are 100%. We don't have to necessarily win the east but we have to have a YOUNG and TALENTED team that is able to compete at that level.

MU has been great in getting role player but this team to make it to next level need a guy like T.Young at SF. We are not going far with the hole we have at SF.

Organic Growth of Big Val is a an important factor as well. what he does this summer will say a lot about the type of players he is going to be and how much this team can rely on him.

Lets see what MU will do

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
              Why though? We already have 2Pat and Amir. I don't see why we'd want to give up either for Young.
              I don't think he is suggesting that. T.Young can play SF and we can use what we have and not using or don't have a use for, like late round picks, 2nd round picks, Hayes, Novak and Fileds expiring contracts and ... to get a guy like Young.

It would be tough ... but that is why MU gets paid millions and has all those resources and will take our team to the next level that is attractive for Super Star FA in 2016.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                Potential:

Demar --> Allstar already, room to become even BETTER
                Lowry --> Possible Allstar this year, should've been last year imo
                Ross ---> Potential Star player, will reevaluate after this year
                Val ----> Potential top 3 Centre in the league. Can become perennial Allstar
                Bruno --> No limit to his potential (could be a franchise player, or a role player)
                Bebe ---> Potential defensive star

All these potential STARS are now surrounded by serious glue (Amir, Patterson, Vasquez). The ceiling of this team, if they totally buy in on Defence this year, is really unbounded. Easily top 3 in the East, we could get 2nd seed as early as next year. Maybe even reach the NBA finals (probably not, but ECF would be likely). I see us winning 54 games this upcoming season, and the season before Durant, 56 games. We would be REALLY enticing for Durant to hop on board.
                I am as pumped about the summer as anyone but I do think we should be careful about counting our All Stars before they hatch.

Ross caps out as a solid starter imo, which isn't a knock in any way. Not every player needs to be a star for us to have success.

Bruno and Bebe haven't played a single minute in the NBA, so let's hold off on the hyperbole until we at least see them a little in action.

I just don't like the backlash when these kids come in and the expectations are sky high, then when they have their inevitable struggles, people freak out and call them stiffs and useless and whatnot. For them, patience is indeed "desperately needed."

Comment

Jamshid wrote: View Post
                  Hahahaha, I was thinking about the same thing. I want to know what would be everyone's expectations when the dust is settled this year ... I am going to open a thread in week or two after we know where James and Melo are going and how the east looks like.

As far as making ECF by 2016, you are 100%. We don't have to necessarily win the east but we have to have a YOUNG and TALENTED team that is able to compete at that level.

MU has been great in getting role player but this team to make it to next level need a guy like T.Young at SF. We are not going far with the hole we have at SF.

Organic Growth of Big Val is a an important factor as well. what he does this summer will say a lot about the type of players he is going to be and how much this team can rely on him.

Lets see what MU will do
                  A) Thaddeus Young pushes our ceiling up B) Thaddeus Young is the answer at SF? Honestly? A good stats/bad team Power Forward is the answer at SF? Seriously? If we're going to play someone out of position at SF, one of ross or demar is a much better option. If we're going to give up assets to get a talented player to raise our ceiling, it shouldn't be Thaddeus Young, even though I like his game. He wouldn't raise our ceiling. It should be for a natural small forward who offers above-average ball at both sides of the court.
                  @Boymusic66

Comment

I see Ross' ceiling as being Wesley Matthews.

Elite defender, athletic, can stroke the 3 like nothing and highly efficient scorer. I'd be ecstatic if he could reach that level.

Comment

I am as pumped about the summer as anyone but I do think we should be careful about counting our All Stars before they hatch.

Ross caps out as a solid starter imo, which isn't a knock in any way. Not every player needs to be a star for us to have success.

Bruno and Bebe haven't played a single minute in the NBA, so let's hold off on the hyperbole until we at least see them a little in action.

I just don't like the backlash when these kids come in and the expectations are sky high, then when they have their inevitable struggles, people freak out and call them stiffs and useless and whatnot. For them, patience is indeed "desperately needed."
                      In my comment, Ross is not referred to as an Allstar. Star potential, but he plays SF/SG and is really hard to make the AS game in those positions. Still, the executive term is: "potential"

Secondly, I said Bruno is really unknown potential, anywhere from franchise to role player, and I guess even to bench warmer.
                      For Bebe, his block party in the summer league last year is enough to show POTENTIAL (not guarantee) of Defensive dominance.

I don't see too many hyperboles in the comment I made.
                      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

A) Thaddeus Young pushes our ceiling up B) Thaddeus Young is the answer at SF? Honestly? A good stats/bad team Power Forward is the answer at SF? Seriously? If we're going to play someone out of position at SF, one of ross or demar is a much better option. If we're going to give up assets to get a talented player to raise our ceiling, it shouldn't be Thaddeus Young, even though I like his game. He wouldn't raise our ceiling. It should be for a natural small forward who offers above-average ball at both sides of the court.
                        If you look at Philly games then you can se in many games he plays SF and he is quite good at it as well. He is a good defender as well and plays a smart team defence.

Comment

Thad can be that big, mobile SF defender we are looking for. If we can get him for some combination of Hayes/Novak/Hands/2nd, since he hates the tank in Philly, I think he fills a need for us. Also solid insurance at the 4. Not sure how much longer our good fortune with injuries will last.

Definitely wouldn't give up Pat or Amir for him.

Comment

The Croatian Dirk? He's about two years away from being ten years away.
                            Ahahahaha nice twist

Comment

Thad can be that big, mobile SF defender we are looking for. If we can get him for some combination of Hayes/Novak/Hands/2nd, since he hates the tank in Philly, I think he fills a need for us. Also solid insurance at the 4. Not sure how much longer our good fortune with injuries will last.

Definitely wouldn't give up Pat or Amir for him.
                              Now that is a well thought Post

Comment

imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                                I see Ross' ceiling as being Wesley Matthews.

Elite defender, athletic, can stroke the 3 like nothing and highly efficient scorer. I'd be ecstatic if he could reach that level.
                                That's actually a good comparison. If he can be anywhere close to Matthews in the future I would be ecstatic. Ross probably just won't be as strong and tough as Matthews is though.
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X