Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING: Patman Signs 18mil/3years in Toronto

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i really like what orlando are doing, actually. that roster has crazy potential and the number of trade chips they have is ridiculous. not saying they're all going to be stars but they're going to be a team to watch in a couple years.
    I think it's interesting but I'm not envious even one little bit. I've been through the whole "watch your team flounder around the bottom 5 in the league" route and it fucking sucks. You wake up one day screaming MVP at Aaron Gray and wonder what the hell you're doing. It's the lowest form of fanhood (low, as in least amount of enjoyment possible from following your favorite team).

2. Like MixxAOR, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    I think it's interesting but I'm not envious even one little bit. I've been through the whole "watch your team flounder around the bottom 5 in the league" route and it fucking sucks. You wake up one day screaming MVP at Aaron Gray and wonder what the hell you're doing. It's the lowest form of fanhood (low, as in least amount of enjoyment possible from following your favorite team).
    certainly not envious but they are going about their rebuild the right way. if they play their cards right they'll be able to flip a couple players for upgrades and will be a playoff team sooner than later. it's the model i always wanted BC to use but we all know how that went.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    certainly not envious but they are going about their rebuild the right way. if they play their cards right they'll be able to flip a couple players for upgrades and will be a playoff team sooner than later. it's the model i always wanted BC to use but we all know how that went.
    He did. Lottery team every season. He also wasted money on free agents that never worked out. How is sucking different from tanking.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    He did. Lottery team every season. He also wasted money on free agents that never worked out. How is sucking different from tanking.
    No he didn't. BC kept doing patchwork jobs and making trades/signings for players that prevented us from truly bottoming out and getting high picks. The only year where he didn't really make this mistake was the year after Bosh left, which resulted in us finishing 3rd last and getting the 5th pick.

He never attempted to accumulate draft picks, and every year he just kept making quick-fix type moves in an effort to save his job.

6. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We didn't suck well enough. We were Lottery team every year, Magic and Sixers are top 3 draft pick every year.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

22,23,34 Wins. Hard to argue we didn't tank

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

22,23,34 Wins. Hard to argue we didn't tank
    23 wins in a 66 game season = 29 wins in an 82 game season. In the eastern conference, high 20s/low 30s in wins gets you 9th, 10th and 11th seeds, not the 13th/14th/15th seeds that you need for top 5 picks. And what do you know, we were 11th in 2011-12 and 10th in 2012-13. AKA (7th - 11th) Treadmill Zone.

Actually I will concede that we semi-tanked in 2011-12, but the mistake was not resting our starters towards the end of the season. That resulted in us picking up way too many wins at the end and we ended up only picking 8th. That was the difference between getting a Beal or Lillard and TRoss.

In 2012-13 we did not tank at all. BC pulled a freaking panic move and traded for Gay mid-season. In no way, shape or form is that tanking.

The only year we definitively tanked in the BC era was 2010-11, and that was mostly because we had to because we had no cap space after Bosh left for BC to use on patchwork signings.

10. Like Letter N, mcHAPPY liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

And just to add, we NEVER did what Orlando did during the BC Era. Never at any point in time did BC try to accumulate draft picks and young assets. He was constantly looking to convert the young assets/picks that we did have into patchwork jobs and quick fixes. Look at the Jermaine O'Neal trade, look at the Gay trade, look at the Lowry trade (panned out for us luckily).

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    And just to add, we NEVER did what Orlando did during the BC Era. Never at any point in time did BC try to accumulate draft picks and young assets. He was constantly looking to convert the young assets/picks that we did have into patchwork jobs and quick fixes. Look at the Jermaine O'Neal trade, look at the Gay trade, look at the Lowry trade (panned out for us luckily).
    Especially considering the Salmons trade essentially returned a 2013 1st round pick..... nevermind a rotational player.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Especially considering the Salmons trade essentially returned a 2013 1st round pick..... nevermind a rotational player.
    Yup, and I think Nogueira has higher upside than the guy that was selected with our pick (Steven Adams).

Post Thanks / Like

23 wins in a 66 game season = 29 wins in an 82 game season. In the eastern conference, high 20s/low 30s in wins gets you 9th, 10th and 11th seeds, not the 13th/14th/15th seeds that you need for top 5 picks. And what do you know, we were 11th in 2011-12 and 10th in 2012-13. AKA (7th - 11th) Treadmill Zone.

Actually I will concede that we semi-tanked in 2011-12, but the mistake was not resting our starters towards the end of the season. That resulted in us picking up way too many wins at the end and we ended up only picking 8th. That was the difference between getting a Beal or Lillard and TRoss.

In 2012-13 we did not tank at all. BC pulled a freaking panic move and traded for Gay mid-season. In no way, shape or form is that tanking.

The only year we definitively tanked in the BC era was 2010-11, and that was mostly because we had to because we had no cap space after Bosh left for BC to use on patchwork signings.
    Scary part is we were really targeting Barnes that year, and he has not panned out at all. Even with tanking/sucking, the picks are still a crap shoot. Right now I'd take Ross over Barnes, and I never ever ever would have said that on draft night.

15. Like imanshumpert liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Scary part is we were really targeting Barnes that year, and he has not panned out at all. Even with tanking/sucking, the picks are still a crap shoot. Right now I'd take Ross over Barnes, and I never ever ever would have said that on draft night.
    So true, I remember being pretty upset about the Ross pick on draft night. He wasn't even on my radar. I was looking at Rivers or Lamb at that spot (Ross is better than both atm, although I think Lamb given a chance would be better). Although when Drummond was still there (was expecting him to be gone before Portland, I wanted him so badly and raged when I heard "Terrence Ross".

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, and I think Nogueira has higher upside than the guy that was selected with our pick (Steven Adams).
    Could have had 'Po

If Bruno works out I'll let that one go
    Tim Leiweke

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Could have had 'Po

Should probably just let it go either way since time machines don't exist

Post Thanks / Like

Could have had 'Po

Lowry + Bebe > Po.

Hell,
    Lowry > Po.

Lowry trade was one of those BC moves that actually panned out (he had a lot of hits to go with his misses, like any volume shooter).

I like Po but he's currently nothing special, just oozing with potential.

20. Like enlightenment, imanshumpert liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default BREAKING: Patman Signs 18mil/3years in Toronto

Lowry + Bebe > Po.

Hell,
    Lowry > Po.

Lowry trade was one of those BC moves that actually panned out (he had a lot of hits to go with his misses, like any volume shooter).

This kid is honestly the most overrated player in the league. Never seen someone get so much hype for growing two inches over the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Lowry + Bebe > Po.

Hell,
    Lowry > Po.

Colangelo was basically the JR Smith of GMs.

Took a whole lot of shots, bricked most of them, but because he took so many he had a couple of nice makes too (DeRozan and JV picks, Lowry trade, etc). His problem was instead of being patient, surveying the court and looking for an open teammate to get a bucket; he made chucked up contested fadeaway threes (patchwork moves) to try and save his ass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    This kid is honestly the most overrated player in the league. Never seen someone get so much hype for growing two inches over the summer.

I've been hyping him since last year fwiw.
    Tim Leiweke

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

He's overrated by some, but I see him as having AK47 type potential down the line. 15 points, 7-8 boards, 3-4 assists, a couple steals, a couple blocks.

25. Like MACK11 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Giannis is getting overrated now, I see so many people trying to say he a franchise player looool

He's gonna be a good player but not a franchise type! At best he's gonna be the 3rd option on a contender
    On Russel Westbrook's Chances at Defensive Player of the Year:

"I think he has a good case. He's the only guy who can hold Durant to under 30 points a game."

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information