Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Raptors compete for #1 seed in east this upcoming season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
    69 actually.
    you're telling us not to lose 12 games for the rest of the season. I'm not sure about that one..
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
      The kings are doing well. Gay is doing great over there and dmc looks like he finally figured everything out. Watch them be this years suns but actually make the playoffs

As for the raps, they can divinely compete for 1st in the east. Cleveland looks like it needs time to gel and probably won't finish 1st. 4/5 most likely. Our only real competition is wash, and the bulls. The bulls are going to be with and without rose for the year and wash is wash.

I think there's a solid chance
      Yeah lol way too early to shit on Cleveland like that. They will be at or near the top at the end believe you me. We need closer to 60 then 55 wins (meaning at least 58) to have a chance of being ahead of both Cavs and Chicago and winning the east.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Cavs will finish 8th and you will all be forced to eat a heaping teaspoon of my poop
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
          Cavs will finish 8th and you will all be forced to eat a heaping teaspoon of my poop
          Lol, it has to be exactly 8th? 7th and you lose the bet? Really going hard there bud i admire your blind faith.
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
            you're telling us not to lose 12 games for the rest of the season. I'm not sure about that one..
            Based on our record so far that is the pace we playing at. Obviously it is insanity to think it would actually happen at this point in the season.

Comment

• Oran wrote: View Post
              Based on our record so far that is the pace we playing at. Obviously it is insanity to think it would actually happen at this point in the season.
              81-1 Baby! Joey shall lead us to the promise land
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                81-1 Baby! Joey shall lead us to the promise land
                JOEY JOEY JOEY JOEY JOEY

We all love you man

Until we lose a game of course
                The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                  Well, the goal is always 82 wins.... however Toronto already lost a game, and I am a softy so I give um a few more to play with.

I'm firm, but fair.

Comment

• Don't sleep on the Heat. Just beat Dallas. Would have liked to have taken that game from them.

Comment

• We should be 7/0... fuckin free throws
                      You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                        We should be 7/0... fuckin free throws
                        Lets just win our next two games, get to 8-1.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• YoungGunRaptor wrote: View Post
                          Its to early to tell for sure, but we can savour being on top of the East right now alongside Chicago. But in the end, only one team will be left at the top. Can the Raptors be that team? Time will tell.
                          The fact that this conversion is continuing is telling.

Comment

• Obviously this is cherry-picking a range that makes us look good, but:

Highest win totals over last 70 games:
                            Spurs: 50
                            Clippers: 49
                            Raptors: 48
                            OKC: 47
                            Houston: 47
                            Golden State: 47
                            Memphis: 47
                            Miami: 45
                            Portland: 43
                            Dallas: 43
                            Phoenix: 43
                            Indiana: 42

Given the favourable schedule, it's not unrealistic to think that by game 18 (one year anniversary of the Rudy Gay trade), we could be the top team in the league over an 82 game stretch.

Comment

• This week we should get pretty good idea where we stand....,

Comment

• "I WANT THAT PURPLE STUFF!" Time to drink the purple Kool-Aid!

I've been trying to keep perspective on what is the realistic ceiling for this team. When I was back in Canada at the end of October I remember having conversations with some friends who live in Toronto, (who are general Toronto sports fans). In particular I remember having a conversation with a buddy, that something like this...

ezz_bee: Pay attention to the Raps this season they are going to be really good.

buddy: Yeah the are going to be good.

ezz_bee: But I'm worried I'm losing my perspective, that I'll letting myself get caught up.

buddy: Don't worry about that, the raps are really good...

ezz_bee: Yeah, but sometimes I start talking myself into believing they could make the Eastern Conference Finals.

buddy: Whoa, you need to pump the breaks on that. That's not happening. They'll definitely make the playoffs, but they're going to lose in the second round.

ezz_bee: Yeah, that's why I'm worried about letting my enthusiasm out of control. But I still think the Raps are underrating going into the season. If the Cavs take too long to gel, and/or Chicago has health issues, I could see us being right there in the mix at the top of the conference.
                                Well, I've seen enough. The Cavs are still trying to figure things out, and I think defense is going to continue to be an issue that they can't solve without some personnel changes. Chicago is a good team, but so far injuries have put a damper on their season.

The Raptors are unequivocally the best, and most consistent team in the Eastern Conference to date, and It's not even close. We're tied for the best record in the league, with the Grizzlies (who we've beaten). You can argue about strength of schedule, but we're 3rd (behind Dallas, and GS) on Hollinger's auto-power rankings, (which takes SoS into account - Grizz are 6th). We're 6th in DRtg, 2nd in ORtg. Tied for 2nd with GS (behind Dallas) in NetRtg.

I've been keeping perspective since the season started, and here's where I'm at.

The media is still talking about how Chicago and Cleveland, can and will get better, and that's true. But so will the Raps. Although both teams have a higher level than the raps then could get to, I don't think Cleveland will be able to play their best basketball this season (or in the playoffs). Chicago, has a better shot, and them at their best is still probably better than the Raps at their best, but here's the thing: I think Toronto will be playing their best basket-ball in May. And I think that Raps have a 50-50 chance or better against either of these teams if they are playing at their pinnacle. Chicago is going to have to beat us, we aren't going to beat ourselves. If they aren't firing on all cylinders, then they're in trouble.

We're not playing good basketball, we're playing great basketball. We have all season to fine tune so we reach our potential of amazing basketball. Baring an unlikely jump by JV or TRoss, that's were we top out. A level below the "all-time great basketball" that the Spurs reached last season. Very few teams have the potential to reach that All-Time Great level, and even fewer actually realize that potential.

Good basketball gets you into the playoffs, and maybe even the second round
                                Great basketball gets you into the second round, and possibly even the Conference Finals
                                Amazing Basketball gets you a spot in the Conference Finals, and an opportunity to take home the hardware.
                                All-time Great basketball: Gets you the hardware, and a legacy.

I've seen enough. It's no longer about us proving that we can play with the best in the East. Now it's up to the rest of the East to prove they can play with us.

See you in the Conference Finals.

EDIT: This must be how Jason Terry felt, when he tattooed the L O'B T on his arm.
                                Last edited by ezz_bee; Sun Nov 23, 2014, 08:34 AM.
                                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                                X