Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Raptors compete for #1 seed in east this upcoming season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The top 4 and up to and including 55 wins is possible. I'd go so far as to say top 2. But until the dust settles on Miami there is no clear top dog right now and anything is technically possible
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
      People are already forgetting that pretty much the same NY team had 50+ wins the previous season.

I think we're gonna be the ones fighting for a lower tiered seed. Pretty much all media out there said we overachieved last season, and we definitely got worse as the season started winding down while the other east teams got better, including the paltry Knicks.
      Wow. Pretty negative.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
        Wow. Pretty negative.
        whats so negative about that? we DID play worse at the end. knicks DID get better and were on fire for a while.

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
          What they didn't take into account on that is Amir lowry and demar all playing injuried for a solid amount of the year
          Even with 60 more man games lost to injury we still would be 20th fewest.

We got really lucky. All I'm saying is that it was anomalous. We would have to be very lucky to get that kind of healthy streak again.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

We got really lucky. All I'm saying is that it was anomalous. We would have to be very lucky to get that kind of healthy streak again.
            It's also because the Raptors are one of the youngest teams in the league.

Comment

The Pacers won the 1st seed last year, so no reason we couldn't this year. It's still too early to make an informed prediction though. Lots of big FA still on the market.

Comment

Too early to tell. I'm sure that we can be a top 2 or 3 seed though.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

I believe that having one of the best health/strength/training/rehab teams in the league helps out as well. Thee raptors are at the forefront, top five in the league I believe in terms of conditioning and rehab.
                  Last edited by Puffer; Sun Jul 6, 2014, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    I believe that having one of the best health/strength/training/rehab teams in the league helps out as well. Thge raptors are at the forefront, top five in the league I believe in terms of conditioning and rehab.
                    Yea I think that and us being pretty young is what helped us out. Also only Kyle and Amir are known to be a little injury prone and Amir always plays through his injuries. But luck was definitely a factor as well.
                    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                      Yea I think that and us being pretty young is what helped us out. Also only Kyle and Amir are known to be a little injury prone and Amir always plays through his injuries. But luck was definitely a factor as well.
                      Can't argue. Luck for sure. I remember comments on how lucky they were injury wise starting to be made last December.And being one of the younger teams in the league means more flexibility and shorter recovery times.

Comment

The East is definitely wide open, and probably will remain so unless the Heat can retain the big3 and fill out the roster, and the Bulls do not get a Melo type addition to their roster.

I expect the conference to be much more competitive than it was last season. Looking at the teams, I do not think there is a single one that will be clearly tanking this season. I think every team will be trying to win as many games as possible. That clearly wasn't the case last season with Philly, Milwaukee, Boston, and Orlando fielding obviously less than competitive clubs. And then there were the horror stories out of Cleveland, Detroit, and NY. I think it will be much more difficult to get wins in the East this upcoming season. The only team in the conference that may be worthy of a tanking label IMO, is the Knicks, and that would be without Melo. If he stays, they will try to win of course. So I'm expecting a much more competitive conference, and even matching our win total from last season should be considered a success, but it's unlikely to reward us with a 3rd seed.

There is lots of offseason left so it's hard to predict of course.

Indy and MIA should still be very good teams. Unless LBJ and Bosh depart, I expect the Heat to remain competitive as long as one of them are there with Wade. The Bulls are a wildcard, as there are a lot of if's surrounding there roster. If DRose returns to form, if they can grab a Gasol or Melo, if they trade or anmesty Boozer, if McDermott can contribute right out the gate, and what's up with Mirotic? The Bulls could be the team to beat in the East next season, or they may struggle to make the playoffs if things don't go their way this offseason. The last few offseasons have been this way for that team.

I think the Hornets will also be better next season, and if they add a decent FA they will be even tougher. WASH is also another up and coming team, and with the Wall/Beal combo continuing to improve the should remain very competitive. The Knicks are unlikely to be great next season, with or without Melo, but if he returns you have to expect them to try and make the playoffs. The Nets are hard to guage, they will be a different team next year, but I expect them to be in the playoffs. If healthy, they could be better than last year. Boston and Philly could very well be bottom feeders next year. Philly, I imagine will not be a great team, but I expect them to start trying to get their young guys to win and develop a system. It may not be as easy to beat them next year. Boston could very well hang out at the bottom again next season, they can afford another subpar year for asset accumulation if they chose, but a couple of moves this offseason could out them back in the playoff hunt. But regardless of how their roster shapes up, I expect them to compete, they have lots of assets so bottoming out next season 'on purpose' may not be a priority. Winning games may be more of a priority, and we all know how winning changes asset evaluation. Bradley @ 8mil per is mind boggling however.

The Hawks should be better next season, as long as they are healthy. And they have money to spend so they could be much tougher next year. Orlando are primed to start winning again. They have a young roster, so my expectations are low, but I think they are done with tanking for now and will attempt to develop their core and win some games. MIL are gonna try and turn things around quickly and they have some great young pieces to make that happen. They just have to be taught to play together in a system. I expect Kidd will employ a system similar to what brought him success in BKN. MIL should be better next year.

Who's left: the horror shows in DET and CLE. Hard to believe those teams will be as bad next season. Van Gundy will get the Pistons playing better regardless of the roster. And CLE has got some talent there, if they can get it together and alleviate the chemistry issues, they should be headed up the standings.

Obviously, it's certainly too early to tell, and I'm not sure how accurate my brief assessments are, but when you look at all the teams it seems like all of them, minus a couple of exceptions perhaps (i.e. NYK without Melo; Boston if a slow offseason), are clearly trying to move ahead. No one seems primed to take that step back next season in order take two steps forward later. That part of the process is done for most of those teams. So, unless we see some more unexpected horror shows next season, the conference should be much more competitive, and getting wins that much more difficult.

Competing for the top seed isn't gonna happen IMO. Back to back division titles are certainly a possibility. I think the team actually improves as a unit next season and I can see guys like DD, Ross, and JV making individual improvements as well, however, I hesitate to suggest that this will result in more wins or a better seed.

Comment

Report: Bosh wants maximum contract
                          http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-...9579--nba.html

Miami was the betting choice to win the east 1st seed but as of right now with none of the 3 amigos signed to anything and Bosh looking to get "his" and Lebron already saying he needs to be the highest paid player in the league for once in his life that seeding may change in the next 72 to 96 hours. Miami seems to be really wobbling right now. Carmelo doesn't seem to be in the picture and most of the impact free agents that played postions the heat wanted to upgrade (C / PG ) are signed.

Without Bosh and any appreciable FA signed up or in the wings the Heat even with Lebron would not be the prohibative favourtie but still in the Top Tier of teams.

If you group teams into three categories - Chance to win it (or 1 through 3) Pushing the Envelope really hard and could surprise - the "smart dark horse picks" (4-6) Mid Tier in the mix for a playoff spot or coming up just short (7 through 11) and Dogs with Fleas (12 to 15) this is how I could see it coming together as it stands today with no real commitment to the Heat by Bosh or LBJ.

Chance to win it
                          Heat - Still there IF they get LBJ
                          Bulls - Rose comes back to his MVP form
                          Indy - Addition by subtraction. The ear blow takes his circus act elsewhere.

Pushing the Envelope
                          Raps - Same core with organic improvements expected and added bench scoring addition in Lou Williams
                          Wizards - Same core that went to round 2 of the playoffs and core improving
                          Brooklyn - Brook Lopez returns

Mid Tier - In the mix for the playoffs
                          Charlotte - made playoffs and have cap room to add a legit scorer in FA. If they do they move up a tier.
                          Atlanta - cleared a whack of cap space for their targeted FA that improves the 8th seeded team. Still stays in this tier sign or not.
                          Cleveland - added Wiggins but he won't be a world beater out of the gate. Lost Deng . New coach. Still pretty combustible squad and you have the clubhouse accerlerant in Dion Waiters who doesn't get along with a 90M dollar man.
                          Detroit - Do they resign Monroe ? Jodies Meeks fits SVG style but does he help the roster as a whole
                          Knicks - Odds on favourite to have Carmelo and added the assist machine in Caldy. Still have Barney and JR Smith and Amare. Carmelo good but not a miracle worker. Knicks tank professionaly and open up cap space and use thier lone draft pick in the next 100 years in 2015 as the season to improve.
                          Dogs with Fleas
                          Philly - Nickname Sam Hinkie the tanker. He fields last years team with more 2nd round picks to fill it out. Fugly
                          Orlando - Lots of assets. Look like they are in the same place at the 3 / 4 slots. Raw Rookie PG. Loooong Season ahead with no one to get the ball to the 3/4 group and Olidipo still learning.
                          Milwaukee - Getting better just not this year.
                          Boston - Likely the time to trade Rondo. Selling the future in Boston one more year.
                          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Jul 6, 2014, 12:04 PM.
                          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                          - TGO

Comment

Hahaha, now Bosh wants Max !!! Who is going to pay that guy a max money after standing around and watching LJ play for few years He is dreaming.

Comment

Getting the #1 seed seems fantastical but if a lot of things break right it may be possible. I look at the Bulls from the 2010/2011 season (62-20 record). They had a super star in Rose but were his stats really that far off from what Lowry could do?

Rose averaged 25ppg, 7.7apg, 4.1rpg, 1spg but 3.4 tpg.

Lowry last year averaged 17.9ppg, 7.4apg, 4.7rpg, 1.5spg, and 2.5tpg.

Didn't score as well.. but everything else was about the same and didn't turn it over as much. Bulls also had Noah, Deng and Boozer. We have JV, DD and Ross. We'll need JV and Ross to really elevate their games but it's not really that implausible that they won't.

Bulls had Thibs and we have Casey but if things break right (Lebron goes out west, or stays with Miami but don't fill out their bench; Rose/Lopez doesn't return healthy, Indiana continues their dysfunction, Washington/Atlanta stay the same) Toronto could be battling for 1/2 seed throughout the year.

I wouldn't bet on it, but there is always a chance.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Getting the #1 seed seems fantastical but if a lot of things break right it may be possible. I look at the Bulls from the 2010/2011 season (62-20 record). They had a super star in Rose but were his stats really that far off from what Lowry could do?

Rose averaged 25ppg, 7.7apg, 4.1rpg, 1spg but 3.4 tpg.

Lowry last year averaged 17.9ppg, 7.4apg, 4.7rpg, 1.5spg, and 2.5tpg.

Didn't score as well.. but everything else was about the same and didn't turn it over as much. Bulls also had Noah, Deng and Boozer. We have JV, DD and Ross. We'll need JV and Ross to really elevate their games but it's not really that implausible that they won't.

Bulls had Thibs and we have Casey but if things break right (Lebron goes out west, or stays with Miami but don't fill out their bench; Rose/Lopez doesn't return healthy, Indiana continues their dysfunction, Washington/Atlanta stay the same) Toronto could be battling for 1/2 seed throughout the year.

I wouldn't bet on it, but there is always a chance.
                                7-8 points is a huge difference when you consider the average score differential in nba games is around 8-10.

Comment

Working...
                                X