Amnesty vs. Stretch Provision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amnesty vs. Stretch Provision

So I (like a bunch of Raps fans) have been trying to find ways that Masai the Jedi can create more cap room. I know the amnesty period is coming up soon (July 11-15 I think), but there is also the stretch provision that can be used.

My question is what the hell is the difference in terms of a cap hit and how often you can use it?

Landry Fields is the obvious candidate for this unless Masai can't find a legit wing with the MLE then we gotta keep field of dreams.

jpaps wrote: View Post
    So I (like a bunch of Raps fans) have been trying to find ways that Masai the Jedi can create more cap room. I know the amnesty period is coming up soon (July 11-15 I think), but there is also the stretch provision that can be used.

My question is what the hell is the difference in terms of a cap hit and how often you can use it?

Landry Fields is the obvious candidate for this unless Masai can't find a legit wing with the MLE then we gotta keep field of dreams.
    Can't use the amnesty on Fields, he signed his deal in the current CBA. Amnesty only applies to contracts signed under the old CBA.
    Stretch provision stretches the cost of the contract out over the remaining years + 2. So it would take Fields salary and put 1/3 of it on our cap for the next 3 seasons. Wouldn't make a difference for us this year, better to just let Fields expire.

The only real way to create more cap space would be trades like the Novak one where we send a player out and don't take any salary back. It would be pretty impressive to find takers for Fields and Hayes but I also wouldn't put it past Masai.

Comment

Raptors already used amnesty on kleiza.

It was a one time thing for each team with a player signed before the new CBA.

Stretch is total amount owed divided by double number of years on contract plus 1 tacked on to those years salary. So fields would be a $2.08m hit this year and next.

No sense for raps to use it.

Roster full, over cap, and any guy you would use it on expires this year anyways only eating in to next years cap.
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Jul 5, 2014, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Just let the dead weight expire.
        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Amnesty vs. Stretch Provision

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Stretch is total amount owed divided by number of years on contract plus 1 tacked on to those years salary. So fields would be a $3.12m hit this year and next.
          That's another question I got. I read somewhere if we use the stretch provision on Fields it would be $2.08M for the three years. In basketball do the contracts count as how much a player is paid that year (like baseball and football) or is it AAV (like hockey)?

Comment

That's another question I got. I read somewhere if we use the stretch provision on Fields it would be $2.08M for the three years. In basketball do the contracts count as how much a player is paid that year (like baseball and football) or is it AAV (like hockey)?
            Typically it counts for what they're paid that year. Fields contract is a special case because it was a poison pill contract, and those the cap hit is averaged over the life of the contract. Same with contracts of Lin and Asik. Thos are the only 3 I can think of in the NBA right now.

Comment

I agree 100% , my proposal works if you want to go for Love in 2015 , believe it or not , you could actually have 18 to 20 million under the Cap with salaries paid for KL, DD , TRoss, PPat, JV, GV plus Bruno, Bebe, Deandre+ 1 st round pick in 2015 totaling 46 to 48 million dollars.

KLove would be able to receive a Max of 18 million for 4 years. The salary cap is projected to be between 66 to 68 million for 2015/16. JV plays inside and K Love would not have to be a 20 /15 player every night.

The question do you wait and pray for KD in the lockout year or add K love. The lakers and the knicks maybe your competition for klove , but as Lebron learned you need quality players around and the only team that could try to get under the cap would be the Warriors, but there are three pieces that would have to be moved. Remember Bogut is injury prone, and they would have to trade Klay and David Lee.

Comment

Sorry, I had it wrong initially.

It is amount owed divided by DOUBLE amount of years plus 1.

Fields owed $6.23M
                years 1
                double plus 1 = 3

There is your $2.08

Apologies.

Comment

In theory I like the Kevin Love idea, but I don't really see him coming here. Like less than 5% chance.

On the other hand I think there's a better chance for KD in 2016. All the dead weight contracts will be gone and we got 2 years to prove we're a contender. Plus there's the whole Allstar weekend in 2016 where were gonna have the chance to showcase the city and the atmosphere.

Probs not favorites but I think should be considered at the very least

Comment

Working...
                  X