Also OP spelled Andray Blatche's name incorrectly
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
      Blatche's PER the past 2 years was hovering around 19.5 on average
      Thats actually unbelievable.
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

He may be a head case but keep in mind the whole nature vs nurture debate. He's played with some dicey teams in washington and even brooklyn was a circus last year. Maybe as the lone nut on the team (tyler aside), he could be productive. FWIW, here's what the Nets fandom is saying so far....

http://www.netsdaily.com/2014/7/8/58...ba-free-agency

Comment

He is also Philipino for some stupid reason. First asian player on the Raptors.

Comment

His talent has never been the issue.

Not sure how he gets to Toronto though unless it is a similar deal to Hansbrough last season with team option next year.

Given his history I'm sure his talent comes at a bargain.

If he ever puts it together he'd be a great player.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
              He is obviously a place holder though. We have prospects at both the wing and center position, but we need to fill their positions in the mean time. A 2 year deal would be perfect.
              Why would you invest in that kind of place holder? He brings so little this team actually needs. You want a bench post player that badly that you'd ignore the fact that he doesn't contribute in a meaningful way in any other area? And his O is totally inconsistent from night to night because he's a bonehead and chucker who just wants to fill his stat sheet.

I would rather sign Emeka Okafor to exactly the same contract they'd offer Blatche, whatever that would be. You'll lose a little on O, but you'll get a higher IQ player who tries to help your team more in all the other ways that matter.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                Wrong...Mengke Bateer would not be happy that he's being forgotten.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                  Lol he doesn't have a drop of Asian blood in him.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Why would you invest in that kind of place holder? He brings so little this team actually needs. You want a bench post player that badly that you'd ignore the fact that he doesn't contribute in a meaningful way in any other area? And his O is totally inconsistent from night to night because he's a bonehead and chucker who just wants to fill his stat sheet.

I would rather sign Emeka Okafor to exactly the same contract they'd offer Blatche, whatever that would be. You'll lose a little on O, but you'll get a higher IQ player who tries to help your team more in all the other ways that matter.
                    Emeka might not be available. I definitely don't think its risk free. But it is a backup spot worth 10-20 minutes. Inconsistency is allowed at that position. And who knows, maybe you roll the dice and he works out very well for us? Eitherway its low risk if its just 2 years (even lower if we have team option in year 2)

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                      Emeka might not be available. I definitely don't think its risk free. But it is a backup spot worth 10-20 minutes. Inconsistency is allowed at that position. And who knows, maybe you roll the dice and he works out very well for us? Eitherway its low risk if its just 2 years (even lower if we have team option in year 2)
                      It goes against everything the team has worked on this past season though. Really, Blatche is an Andrea-like player. Obviously he rebounds more, but is otherwise very similar in his approach. He does what he feels like on the floor, which results in more than a couple of bad shots, poor IQ play, and half-assed effort on both ends for a good chunk of the time he spends out there.

No matter who we get, I want it to be a guy who busts his butt at least close to as much as our other guys. JV, Amir, Pat, Tyler and the Chunkster all leave it out on the floor when they play. Blatche does not fit in there at all. I don't like the message that it's suddenly become "ok" for a guy on our team to not have to bust his ass like the rest of the squad. Everybody has some off nights, but I'd say all of the guys in our rotation really bust their asses for the vast majority of games.

Comment

I would hesitate to acquire Blatche. However, if MU meets with him and determines that he may not be a negative in the locker room, he could be a cheap asset to add to the team. He does have some skill and can bring something to the team. It always frustrated me how he played against the Raps. But if MU can get him on a TH type deal, than he is an asset, and asset accumulation is the name of the game, right? If he is cheap ans short term, I'd pick him up. 20-30 games playing on a team that is not dysfunctional and working hard to improve might help him with any of his character issues. If not, he still may come out looking good enough to flip for a 2nd rounder or something later, or as trade filler.

MU is working hard to ensure we only have value contracts on board that can be flipped later if necessary or the right opportunity presents itself. Lowry and Patterson fit that mold, and are probably the two best FA signings so far. Vasquez will also be value if we retain him. If he signs elsewhere, I will say now it will probably be an overpay. Fields and Hayes are the only bad contracts left, and they aren't that bad considering they are only slightly over the mid-level (at least they aren't 10mil + bad deals like in BKN) and expiring.

Comment

Does that include the baby sitter and psychiatrist fees

Comment

We're all forgetting something: The experience of playing on the Filipino national team could do wonders for his confidence. Like dunking on a JV team.
                            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Here is my best guess as to what is going on:

Brooklyn is trying to get Jarrett Jack
                              Cleveland is trying to clear space for LeBron
                              Raptors have a $4.6M TPE

Jack to Brooklyn
                              Cap space and unguaranteed Gutierrez (waived) to Cleveland
                              Blatche on one year, $4.6M deal with Memphis 2015 protected first to Toronto

I think Brooklyn can send out the sign and traded player as they are receiving a player already under contract, but I'm not sure to be honest. I'm sure DanH can clear it up.

To qualify for a sign-and-trade, all of the following must be true:

The player must re-sign with his prior team -- a team cannot include another team's free agent in a sign-and-trade.
                              The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).
                              The player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team (see question number 44).
                              Starting in 2013-14, the team receiving the player cannot be above the "apron" ($4 million above the tax level) after the trade1, 2. A team above the apron can receive a player in a sign-and-trade if the trade reduces the team's payroll and the team finishes the trade below the apron.
                              Starting in 2013-14, the team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.1
                              The trade must be completed prior to the first game of the regular season (sign-and-trades are not allowed once the season begins).
                              The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).

1 These teams are free to send players to other teams in sign-and-trade transactions, or to receive players in sign-and-trade transactions who weren't signed-and-traded themselves. Also, the restriction applies only to the sign-and-trade transaction itself -- teams are free to acquire players who had been signed-and-traded in earlier transactions.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q90
                              The bold section is what I'm not sure of; underline in particular.

EDIT: See 1 above. So yes, Brooklyn could sign and trade Blatche while sending none guaranteed deal of Gutierrez to Cleveland and receive Jack.
                              Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Jul 8, 2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                It goes against everything the team has worked on this past season though. Really, Blatche is an Andrea-like player. Obviously he rebounds more, but is otherwise very similar in his approach. He does what he feels like on the floor, which results in more than a couple of bad shots, poor IQ play, and half-assed effort on both ends for a good chunk of the time he spends out there.

No matter who we get, I want it to be a guy who busts his butt at least close to as much as our other guys. JV, Amir, Pat, Tyler and the Chunkster all leave it out on the floor when they play. Blatche does not fit in there at all. I don't like the message that it's suddenly become "ok" for a guy on our team to not have to bust his ass like the rest of the squad. Everybody has some off nights, but I'd say all of the guys in our rotation really bust their asses for the vast majority of games.
                                Blatche averaged 51.3% FG and 47.6% FG in the last 2 seasons respectively. That doesn't scream "Andrea shot selection" to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X