Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Patterson & Vasquez Overpay?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    A quick note for you. With these signings, we are pretty much set for this year.

But next summer, we project to have 15M in cap room to offer to a max-ish level guy, without losing anyone except our expirings (mostly dead weight like Fields, Hayes, Williams, Hansbrough, but also Amir). Then the year after we will have assets coming out our ears with a lot of flexibility cap wise.

This year is and always has been a transition year. There just wasn't the ability to retain talent AND add talent. Next year there will be.
    This year is the final year of the Colangelo Cleanse.

After 2014-15, all of Colangelo's mistakes are rectified and his good decisions should be flourishing.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    This year is the final year of the Colangelo Cleanse.

After 2014-15, all of Colangelo's mistakes are rectified and his good decisions should be flourishing.
    Unles MU add his own mistakes ...
    G.V. ??
    James Johnson ??

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Given the market for stretch fours presently - Channing Frye got four years at $8m per year, Boris Diaw 7.5 per for three years, even McBob got just under 6 per year with the Heat - Patterson's contract is eminently reasonable. He's the type of player who's highly in demand at present, and unlike most of the stretch fours out there he's still young and has room to grow.

Vasquez is an overpay to be sure and anybody pretending that it's not is just wrong; "he's getting $13m over two years instead of three" doesn't change the fact that he's overpaid because somebody's gonna pay him come year three. But it's not an egregious overpay, at least.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jamshid wrote: View Post
    G.V. ??
    James Johnson ??
    Neither of those signings have the potential to hamstring the organization the way many of BC's moves did. Maybe his bad moves are yet to come, but so far, he hasn't made any.

Post Thanks / Like

G.V. ??
    James Johnson ??
    GV is absolutely 100% not a mistake. He got an extra million...he isn't Hedo or Bargnani
    JJ if he ends up being a mistake he is an easily flushed mistake.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think signing GV to $13M over two years may be a slight overpay, but I agree absolutely not a mistake. Not signing him because of an extra $2-3M over two years however, I would consider that a mistake.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Given the market for stretch fours presently - Channing Frye got four years at $8m per year, Boris Diaw 7.5 per for three years, even McBob got just under 6 per year with the Heat - Patterson's contract is eminently reasonable. He's the type of player who's highly in demand at present, and unlike most of the stretch fours out there he's still young and has room to grow.

Vasquez is an overpay to be sure and anybody pretending that it's not is just wrong; "he's getting $13m over two years instead of three" doesn't change the fact that he's overpaid because somebody's gonna pay him come year three. But it's not an egregious overpay, at least.
    Nice Post. I did not think a single LIKE is enough and it deserved to be repeated.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

G.V. ??
    James Johnson ??
    Is it even possible for 2 year deals to be considered "mistakes"?

Guys, that 10-day contract was just too expensive. Masai blew it.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Is it even possible for 2 year deals to be considered "mistakes"?

Guys, that 10-day contract was just too expensive. Masai blew it.
    The answer to your first question is yes. As far as your 2nd example Well, if you can not see the difference between lthe 10-days vs 2 years contract, then my friend, Good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

The answer to your first question is yes. As far as your 2nd example Well, if you can not see the difference between lthe 10-days vs 2 years contract, then my friend, Good luck to you.
    Can you see the difference between a 2yrs and 5 yrs?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Can you see the difference between a 2yrs and 5 yrs?
    Good Luck to you Sir.

I am not into these childish back and forth things ...

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck to you Sir.

Childish, as in losing your mind over a 2 year contract?

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck to you Sir.

As moderator I can attest to the fact that you appear to live for these things. Knock it off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    As moderator I can attest to the fact that you appear to live for these things. Knock it off
    Moderator. Everyone scatter

15. Like mcHAPPY, stooley liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Moderator. Everyone scatter
    Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Patterson's was a good contract. Similar to Amir's current one. And since Amir was banged up last year, I think the starting PF position is up for grabs, and Patterson could be a decent candidate.

Greivis's contract, yes it's overpaid (but not Jose Calderon overpaid), but worth it considering that it's only 2 years. It's not a bad contract considering how inferior guards got overpaid contracts (Ben Gordon, Avery Bradley, etc.) It just shows that the Raps wanted him to stay and vice versa. Greivis mentioned that he really didn't care how much he was getting paid, but he wanted security and longevity in his contract. 2 years is a steal, and based on their moves, they're setting up a possible run for KD in 2016.

Glad that this team is getting built the right way. Really excited for the upcoming season and the future years. The CHeatles are falling apart, Indiana's stagnant, Brooklyn's in a chaos, Knicks are still in rebuild mode, Cavs are unproven, so the East is very wide open at this point. Raps have a great chance to be Top 3-5 in the East, and have an excellent chance of winning the division again, and possibly win 50+ games. Teams to look out for would be Washington, Chicago, Atlanta, Cavs/Heat (depending on where The Brick signs). Can't wait!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote truuth31 wrote: View Post
    ugh some people in this thread disgust me. Why can't people just be happy we're bringing back the same group of guys and taking advantage of growing chemistry.
    Yes let's just all bury our heads in our collective asses and eat whatever shit is given to us at all times and never try to think for ourselves!

20. Like Jamshid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote nubreed000 wrote: View Post
    Yes let's just all bury our heads in our collective asses and eat whatever shit is given to us at all times and never try to think for ourselves!
    Okay, I'm in. What's the catch?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw $24 million as the realistic pricetag for Lowry, Vasquez, and Patterson, and we came out pretty close to that. At least, that's about the max that we could offer and still have near-max free agent room next year. I think you can quibble about a million here and there, but the key is that we kept the salary flexibility we needed. If you compare these guys to some players, they look like steals. If you compare them to others, they look like overpays. That's the nature of contracts in the NBA. But the reality is that these contracts make sense for the Raptors because they maintain good young assets (obviously a priority for Ujiri) and also maintain cap flexibility in coming years. I don't see what's not to like.
    tank-agnostic

23. Like JawsGT liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information