Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 167

Thread: Is this the 2014-15 team?

  1. #101
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3,032
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Guys, just block Jamshid, it's a wonderful life.
    no need...dropped the ban hammer... continue with pleasant and engaging emoticon free conversation

  2. #102
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    no need...dropped the ban hammer... continue with pleasant and engaging emoticon free conversation
    Why he get banned?

  3. #103
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Why he get banned?
    No more smiley face?

  4. #104
    Raptors Republic All-Star BigCamB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    awww, i will miss him popping up on my ignore list.

  5. #105
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    PG: Lowry, Vasquez, Buycks*
    SG: DeRozan, Williams, Fields
    SF: Ross, Johnson, Bruno
    PF: Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough
    C: Valanciunas, Hayes, Bebe

    I think the key here is Bebe. I know little of this kid, and it seems posters are torn whether or not he can contribute 10-15 minutes a game next season... Another C with length would be nice if Bebe doesn't play, but I fear an injury to either Lowry or GV could stretch our guard rotation. This would be especially true if an injury was lengthy, so having another PG to give 10min a game in that event might be nice. Of course, I could say the same if there was an injury to a big man, especially JV.
    .
    Quote Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    Once the logjam breaks there will be a flurry of signings. Some will be at headscratching prices (remember Josh Smith last year) and some bargins.

    We are in position to sit and wait to see if a veteran centre is available at great price for us. I think we need to look at this because if JV goes down we are woefully short at that position. We can struggle through at the PG position as we have the ability to survive a 3 week injury with a content of Kyle / GV / Lou. I think not at centre if its Chuck and Bebe as the go to backups if JV got hurt. Maybe Amir but he is just not built for playing C night in and night out.

    We will see after summer league if Bebe is capable of playing 5 -8 minutes a night or more and the decision to move on a C might be made then.
    Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    Did Ed Davis get signed?

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Quote mjt20mik wrote: View Post
    Last time I checked he was making progress with the Clippers.

    He has no use coming back here tho, we have enough 4s.
    Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    Yeah I know. But would hate to see him not on a team, you know

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    I'd like to see him on a team, and although we definitely do NOT need another 4 I'd much rather have Davis as our backup Center than Chuck Hayes. In his rookie year, didn't Davis' dad say he was going to buck up and be a center?

    Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    Of course, the Spurs have their own D-League affiliate while we have to share space with all the other teams who use the Bakersfield Jam, which means we can't use the D-League to develop players as we see fit. The Raps really need their own D-League affiliate post-haste.
    Yes and YES!

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Canadians suck. I want a German
    Germans suck, I want a Martian

    Quote OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
    I'd say sign the best out of our summer league PGs, Buycks given an edge for chemistry, system knowledge, etc.

    If Bebe is coming over, no need or another C as we'd have 4 on our roster and only 2 natural PGs. Next move is definitely a PG.
    I have serious doubts that Bebe can be a back up center this year.

    Quote caccia wrote: View Post
    First team: Lowry, DeRozan, Ross, A. Johnson, Valanciunas

    Second team: Vasquez, Williams, J. Johnson, Patterson, Hansbrough

    That's how I see it, and it's a very strong lineup. But then, we all know that Coach Casey's lineups are a bit crazy, changing from one game to the next, often without much of a pattern (except we could always count on Salmon). Here's hoping to more stable times ahead.
    Hansborough at back up C is a weakness other teams can exploit.

    Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Riiiiiiiight.

    You forgot about Chuck.

    JV and Chuck, along with Amir, only backstopped the C position on the way to 48 wins and a .650 win % after the Gay trade.

    Stop trolling and start thinking rationally.
    Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    You're really not intelligent.

    Hayes and Amir both manned C spot last year regardless of position or size.

    Answer this: when JV left the game, who played at C?

    Maybe if you stopped trolling I'd stop calling you on it.
    Smiley faces aside. I am MUCH more worried about the center position than the PG position. YES Amir can do a capable job as a center, but I do think that a huge problem considering his injury history. He was definitely not 100% for the playoffs at was a problem in round one.

    If Jonas has an injury this year forcing Amir to play heavy minutes at center I think that has real implications once we are in the playoffs. I think that Vasquez and Williams playing extended pg minutes has a much lower negative impact on guys being healthy in the playoffs. And with this roster, we need to focus not on getting to the playoffs, but what we are going to do once we get there.

    With the shake up in Miami, and the strength of the conference, I think most fans would be disappointed with another first round exit. Playing Amir heavy minutes at center is likely to come back and haunt us IF we are wanting to make a deep playoff run.

    Our PF depth is good enough that it is possible to shift Amir over to Center without increasing his minutes, by moving PP into the starting line up with TH as the back up PF. BUT in either case you've still got Chuch Hayes as your back up center. And that's an issue. You can say whatever you want about last seasons record, but there's little doubt in my mind, that Chuck Hayes is a 3rd stringer, not a Backup. And it's the only position on our roster where you can say that.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,310
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Guys, just block Jamshid, it's a wonderful life.
    Tbh it was a lot more fun to respond with excessive smilies lol

  7. #107
    Raptors Republic Starter chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The guy is a pest, but banned for excessive smileys???? Really?? Cheap

  8. #108
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,456
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Smiley faces aside. I am MUCH more worried about the center position than the PG position. YES Amir can do a capable job as a center, but I do think that a huge problem considering his injury history. He was definitely not 100% for the playoffs at was a problem in round one.

    If Jonas has an injury this year forcing Amir to play heavy minutes at center I think that has real implications once we are in the playoffs. I think that Vasquez and Williams playing extended pg minutes has a much lower negative impact on guys being healthy in the playoffs. And with this roster, we need to focus not on getting to the playoffs, but what we are going to do once we get there.

    With the shake up in Miami, and the strength of the conference, I think most fans would be disappointed with another first round exit. Playing Amir heavy minutes at center is likely to come back and haunt us IF we are wanting to make a deep playoff run.

    Our PF depth is good enough that it is possible to shift Amir over to Center without increasing his minutes, by moving PP into the starting line up with TH as the back up PF. BUT in either case you've still got Chuch Hayes as your back up center. And that's an issue. You can say whatever you want about last seasons record, but there's little doubt in my mind, that Chuck Hayes is a 3rd stringer, not a Backup. And it's the only position on our roster where you can say that.
    I personally feel that a 3rd string PG is more important. If JV is injured that would be on par to having Lowry get injured. So that would be catastrophic. The difference however is that Lowry has a history of being injured (his bull dog style of play doesn't help).

    GV can definitely back Lowry up as Amir could backup JV. Amir may not be 100% healthy and GV is probably more stable but after GV we have no one. After Amir you could throw in Hayes, Bebe, or even try Hansborough in stints (don't think that's a good idea but he's as good a C as Lou Williams would be a PG).

    We only have $2M to spend before we hit luxury tax. Not going to be many deals out there.. if Okafor could be had for $2M (and he's healthy enough) than I'd take him over another PG.. but if it was someone like Whiteside or Blatche (who's more of a PF) then forget about it.

    Once you start looking at the 3rd center / 3rd PG as a backup things have gone south.. so I hope that insurance isn't needed. Perhaps keeping that 15th spot open for a future trade might even be better then.. or for a D-League hire if something bad does happen.

  9. #109
    Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,316
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote chico wrote: View Post
    The guy is a pest, but banned for excessive smileys???? Really?? Cheap
    No way, he didn't get banned for that did he?

  10. #110
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    1,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    With James Johnson signed, is this the team for 2014-15?

    PG: Lowry, Vasquez, Buycks*
    SG: DeRozan, Williams, Fields
    SF: Ross, Johnson, Bruno
    PF: Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough
    C: Valanciunas, Hayes, Bebe


    That is 15 roster spots with the * being Buycks unguaranteed deal.


    If Buycks is waived, who is picked up?
    A third string PG or a backup C?
    My guess is PG.
    Damn, that's not a bad roster. I'm comfortable w/ Buycks as the 3rd PG. I just love how Masai has gone about his business this off-season while the other teams seems to be signing players just for the sake of signing players.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  11. Like OldSkoolCool liked this post
  12. #111
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    With James Johnson signed, is this the team for 2014-15?

    PG: Lowry, Vasquez, Buycks*
    SG: DeRozan, Williams, Fields
    SF: Ross, Johnson, Bruno
    PF: Amir, Patterson, Hansbrough
    C: Valanciunas, Hayes, Bebe


    That is 15 roster spots with the * being Buycks unguaranteed deal.


    If Buycks is waived, who is picked up?
    A third string PG or a backup C?
    My guess is PG.
    I'm comfortable with this line-up going in to the season. We have enough pieces from the top down that makes us a pretty well rounded team. We need Jonas to step it up and be that low post presence that we need. DeMar should be our best post player next season.

    Rim protection is good. Spacing is good. If Ross improves on his pick and roll game, we are 5 deep in terms of ball handlers. We have length & we have a big 3 stopper & an athletic point guard stopper.

    Personally, I would try to trade Hansbrough for a versatile guard - in the mold of Nando de Colo & sign a veteran big who provides some low post presence. I feel like that would plug every single hole in this roster & it's simply up to the guys to make the most out of it.

    But overall, we upgraded the bench & I pray for James Johnson. He's so talented - just please, let him get "it" here in his second stint. He could very well be our Boris Diaw which gives us a huge advantage at the 4 spot.

    Edit: If we are set with the 14 guaranteed guys, I'd like to see a 3rd string point guard as the 15th man -- versatile guard w/ size (like De Colo), born ready shooter (like Eddie House, Patty Mills) or break you down, get to the rim guard (I guess this is where Buycks fits - but hopefully, someone with more upside but I don't mind him either)
    Last edited by torch19; Sun Jul 13th, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  13. #112
    Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kigali, Rwanda
    Posts
    1,687
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I personally feel that a 3rd string PG is more important. If JV is injured that would be on par to having Lowry get injured. So that would be catastrophic. The difference however is that Lowry has a history of being injured (his bull dog style of play doesn't help).

    GV can definitely back Lowry up as Amir could backup JV. Amir may not be 100% healthy and GV is probably more stable but after GV we have no one. After Amir you could throw in Hayes, Bebe, or even try Hansborough in stints (don't think that's a good idea but he's as good a C as Lou Williams would be a PG).

    We only have $2M to spend before we hit luxury tax. Not going to be many deals out there.. if Okafor could be had for $2M (and he's healthy enough) than I'd take him over another PG.. but if it was someone like Whiteside or Blatche (who's more of a PF) then forget about it.

    Once you start looking at the 3rd center / 3rd PG as a backup things have gone south.. so I hope that insurance isn't needed. Perhaps keeping that 15th spot open for a future trade might even be better then.. or for a D-League hire if something bad does happen.
    Yeah, after re-considering things, I think leaving the spot open, or filling it with an unguaranteed deal makes the most sense. Then if you get a prolonged injury you can easily waive the guy if need be.

    But for the record I like GV & LW at pg more than Amir & Hayes at centre. Maybe I'm just drinking the Hayes haterade.

  14. #113
    Raptors Republic Starter chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think Masai is done. I won't be surprised if either, or both, Hansbrough and Williams are used in trade to shore up the backup C need.

  15. #114
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote chico wrote: View Post
    I don't think Masai is done. I won't be surprised if either, or both, Hansbrough and Williams are used in trade to shore up the backup C need.
    Hansbrough yes but I don't see them trading away Williams until he gets a chance to at least play with the team first. And to me what good is trading Williams to fix the backup center spot and then you leave the backup Shooting Guard spot vulnerable. Unless you see Landry Fields taking that spot.

  16. #115
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    Hansbrough yes but I don't see them trading away Williams until he gets a chance to at least play with the team first. And to me what good is trading Williams to fix the backup center spot and then you leave the backup Shooting Guard spot vulnerable. Unless you see Landry Fields taking that spot.
    The SG is not vulnerable really. Between DeMar, Ross and Vasquez, we have more than enough guys to eat up 48 minutes. Lou Williams is a great backup to have, but with Ross and Vasquez real possibilities to get SG minutes, there are possible issues of overcrowding that position.

    I'm not saying we should trade Lou, but it's quite plausible that at some point Ujiri will trade him to shore up a hole somewhere else, or even maybe just to pick up another young asset or pick.

  17. Like JawsGT liked this post
  18. #116
    Raptors Republic Starter chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    Hansbrough yes but I don't see them trading away Williams until he gets a chance to at least play with the team first. And to me what good is trading Williams to fix the backup center spot and then you leave the backup Shooting Guard spot vulnerable. Unless you see Landry Fields taking that spot.
    Fields achieving full recovery, and gaining his shot, would change a lot, but not counting on him. Thing is, barring injuries, I don't see a lot of minutes for him. GV was not, and will not be, just filling in at backup PG when KL is on the bench. I'd expect GV to be getting 6th man type minutes and playing significant minutes in the 2 PG sets. If KL, GV, and DD/Ross are getting avg 32 minutes a game, where are there minutes for Williams? He's an expensive insurance policy. IMO, that Atlanta trade was not to get Williams to fill a need, but was simply the cost of getting Bruno's "brother" as long term backup to JV and buddy for Bruno. Hey, I'm not the least positive that Williams will be moved, but as I said, I would not be surprised.

  19. #117
    Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    670
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If Amir or the team opts in for his contract, do we resign him in 2015? For how much? There's plenty of nice big men in 2015. And don't we need cap space for 2016?

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

  20. #118
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    If Amir or the team opts in for his contract, do we resign him in 2015? For how much? There's plenty of nice big men in 2015. And don't we need cap space for 2016?

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    I am hoping we can resign him for 5 m per year for 3 or 4 years?
    I have a feeling that patman is gonna take his starting job in 2014-2015 season

  21. #119
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    If Amir or the team opts in for his contract, do we resign him in 2015? For how much? There's plenty of nice big men in 2015. And don't we need cap space for 2016?

    Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    I don't know. We can pursue someone in 2015. We'll have the space to at least consider going after someone like Millsap, maybe even Love....probably not Aldridge as he seems set on staying in Portland.

    My hope is just if we do aim for one of those guys and fail, Amir is still going to want to come back and will wait for us to sort things out to see if we will bring him back.

  22. #120
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote chico wrote: View Post
    Fields achieving full recovery, and gaining his shot, would change a lot, but not counting on him. Thing is, barring injuries, I don't see a lot of minutes for him. GV was not, and will not be, just filling in at backup PG when KL is on the bench. I'd expect GV to be getting 6th man type minutes and playing significant minutes in the 2 PG sets. If KL, GV, and DD/Ross are getting avg 32 minutes a game, where are there minutes for Williams? He's an expensive insurance policy. IMO, that Atlanta trade was not to get Williams to fill a need, but was simply the cost of getting Bruno's "brother" as long term backup to JV and buddy for Bruno. Hey, I'm not the least positive that Williams will be moved, but as I said, I would not be surprised.
    No you guys are right, he will probably be moved. I just don't see him moving before the season starts. I think Masai is going to see how he does and how he fits before he gets rid of him. Because at the end of the day Lou is a good player.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •