Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 121 to 133 of 133

Thread: Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

  1. #121
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    2,188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    1) Yes. Although not 1.2M in extra cap room, just 0.7M, because for every empty roster slot, there is a minimum salary cap hold. The first round pick represents a "full" roster spot because it has it's own cap hold.

    2) We start with about 15M if neither signs. So if Lou stays for 8M as you assume here, and Amir for a pay cut (which I think is VERY optimistic) of about 5M, then you are left with only 2M. At which point you are better off acting as though you are over the cap and using the full MLE rather than using cap room. Reality is, if both stay, even on pay cuts, there's no way we end up with significant cap room. We'd need to let at least one walk, and the other to take a sweetheart deal to even have 10M to offer a free agent, and in the summer leading up to the cap boom, I don't think 10M gets you a Millsap, for example.

  2. #122
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Full MLE is 5.3 right? So does that give the total of 7.3 ish available?
    Sorry if these are stupid questions, really want to gather a full understanding . There must be a solid SF which can be broke free for a trade including GV and Bebe, Bruno looks like a better prospect just based on what has been seen. And I feel that Lou has shown and will continue to be a better piece than GV.

  3. #123
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    2,188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You can either use cap space or the MLE, not both. So, no, it does not add up to 7M.

  4. #124
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    You can either use cap space or the MLE, not both. So, no, it does not add up to 7M.
    No reason to use MLE if there is cap space. Its an exception to the soft cap

  5. #125
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gotcha

  6. #126
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cambridge, ON
    Posts
    2,188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    No reason to use MLE if there is cap space. Its an exception to the soft cap
    Yeah, but the point is you can't use both. You can't sign a free agent with cap space and then another with the MLE.

  7. #127
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote DanH wrote: View Post
    Yeah, but the point is you can't use both. You can't sign a free agent with cap space and then another with the MLE.
    Noone should ever be trying to correct you on cap issues lol.

    Your word is gospel.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

    -Superjudge, 7/23

    Hope you're wrong.

  8. #128
    Raptors Republic All-Star Mr.Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MTL
    Posts
    2,028
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    As fans we should all gather in front of Amirs house with roses and holding arms and in unison ask him to please take a massive pay cut because we love him and dont want to lose him but dont want to pay him a lot lol
    You come at the King, you best not miss.

  9. #129
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    3,200
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    As fans we should all gather in front of Amirs house with roses and holding arms and in unison ask him to please take a massive pay cut because we love him and dont want to lose him but dont want to pay him a lot lol
    That's worth a couple million bucks. Nameless strangers loitering around his house carrying plants begging to save a multi billion dollar corporation money.

  10. #130
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    21,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    That's worth a couple million bucks. Nameless strangers loitering around his house carrying plants begging to save a multi billion dollar corporation money.
    It isn't about saving ownership money.

    It is about maximizing dollar value under the collective bargaining agreement.

  11. #131
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good for you, if there is a salary cap and a luxury tax , must maximize team value. Or you could look like Brooklyn

  12. #132
    Raptors Republic Rookie GoldenBaller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Anybody else hoping for some Masai magic to improve the team a little around trade deadline? lol
    A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

  13. #133
    Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,193
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GoldenBaller wrote: View Post
    Anybody else hoping for some Masai magic to improve the team a little around trade deadline? lol
    It'd be nice. Everything I've heard would lead me to think it's unlikely, but id be a fan of any move they make. So nice to know we're in good hands
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

    -Superjudge, 7/23

    Hope you're wrong.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •