Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Salary Cap Situation (and planning for the future)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roberts appears to be a multi-year deal. Could still be a training camp invite, but I like making it multi-year on the off chance he makes the team.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      Since I've seen some talk and even a thread on the topic, here is what our 2016 summer looks like right now.

We have 9 players locked into contracts (KL, DC, CJ, PP, BB, BeBe, Bruno, Wright, Powell).

We also have two draft picks (for this calc I've assumed 20th and 10th overall picks).

We also have several free agents. DD, JV, Ross, Scola, JJ and de Colo. Only 4 spots for them right now.

Cap situation:

Keep all cap holds: 8M over cap
      Waive JJ, Scola and Nando: 2.3M cap room
      Also waive Ross: 11.2M in cap room
      Also waive DD: 25.4M in cap room (enough for a max offer on Durant, for example)

If JV and/or Ross are extended those extensions eat into our cap room if they are bigger than their cap holds (11.7M and 8.9M respectively).
      SO: Couldn't we also (for example) trade Carroll, let T-Ross walk, in 2016 ... and afford KD?

OR: Trade Cory, sign/trade T-Ross, part with Scola, etc. ... and get a Max Power forward?

I am not recommending any particular moves - but we COULD manage cap-space, in various and intriguing ways, to land a "star" (if we still look ready - otherwise - to take that next step)?

Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Jul 23, 2015, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
        So doesn't that mean we can trade Demarre Carroll and let T-Ross walk next summer ... and afford KD?

OR Sign/trade Jonas (or even Kyle), part with T-Ross ... and get a Max Power forward?

Which is not to recommend these moves, but only to suggest that there are all kinds of possibilities to land that put-you-over-the-top "star" (assuming the team still looks ready - otherwise - to take that next step)?

2017 seem to be a better time for the Raptors to target free agent. Let team blow their load first then go after free agents when the cap jumps again. Also, if KD does leaves OKC there will be a clearance sale on that roster like the Trailblazers.

Comment

• Very tough to trade guys into cap space. But yes it is a possibility. Far more likely though you set up a sign and trade with the other team, rather than find a third party to dump salaries. Teams tend to bend other teams over a barrel when they know they need space.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
            2017 seem to be a better time for the Raptors to target free agent. Let team blow their load first then go after free agents when the cap jumps again. Also, if KD does leaves OKC there will be a clearance sale on that roster like the Trailblazers.
            Or commence an over-the-cap strategy, trading with teams desperate to get large swaths of cap space, taking on salary in an era where it's reasonably safe to do so because we know where the cap is going. That is, we can can take on large amounts of salary in consolidation, even going into tax territory, knowing the cap-raises are going to keep us from being a repeater.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              Or commence an over-the-cap strategy, trading with teams desperate to get large swaths of cap space, taking on salary in an era where it's reasonably safe to do so because we know where the cap is going. That is, we can can take on large amounts of salary in consolidation, even going into tax territory, knowing the cap-raises are going to keep us from being a repeater.
              One problem right now is that there aren't salaries that can go out without hurt the roster. Wonder why MU didn't make a few deals unguaranteed. Contracts like Salmons and Amir are useful in trades

Comment

One problem right now is that there aren't salaries that can go out without hurt the roster. Wonder why MU didn't make a few deals unguaranteed. Contracts like Salmons and Amir are useful in trades
                Our contracts can be packaged together no problem.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                  Our contracts can be packaged together no problem.
                  Hard to trade for 12M+ player without giving up a starter or emptying the bench. Giving up a starter just means creating another hole

Comment

That's one of the reasons you accumulate picks. They provide a lot of flexibility.

Comment

Hard to trade for 12M+ player without giving up a starter or emptying the bench. Giving up a starter just means creating another hole
                      I don't see that much of a hole when trading Lowry, DeMar either for that matter. I mean, if they both play at a legit star-level all season, there'd be a bit of a hole created. But that's also the sacrifice you make when trying to trade/sign a superstar.

We've got Cory/Delon/(Nando) at the PG spot. We've got Ross/Powell/(Cory/Delon) at SG. I like DD/Lowry but I don't see trading either as creating a vacuum.

Comment

• Can someone remind me whether we need to use cap space or an exception in order to sign Nando?

Comment

• We have Nando's rights, we can sign him with the Early Bird exception.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

We have Nando's rights, we can sign him with the Early Bird exception.
                            If Ross were to be moved in a Markieff deal (along with Bebe), maybe picking Nando back up could be a good move. He's a solid shooting guard who can hit the 3 and could also act as a secondary creator along with CoJo off the bench.

I'm sure some would rather see Powell maybe get some run there but Nando could be a decently reliable backup 2-guard.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                              If Ross were to be moved in a Markieff deal (along with Bebe), maybe picking Nando back up could be a good move. He's a solid shooting guard who can hit the 3 and could also act as a secondary creator along with CoJo off the bench.

I'm sure some would rather see Powell maybe get some run there but Nando could be a decently reliable backup 2-guard.
                              yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Nando can shoot. Now, I'm not sure what his contract in Europe looks like in terms of buy-out, but it is an option - there's a reason his rights were retained.

Comment

Since I've seen some talk and even a thread on the topic, here is what our 2016 summer looks like right now.

We have 9 players locked into contracts (KL, DC, CJ, PP, BB, BeBe, Bruno, Wright, Powell).

We also have two draft picks (for this calc I've assumed 20th and 10th overall picks).

We also have several free agents. DD, JV, Ross, Scola, JJ and de Colo. Only 4 spots for them right now.

Cap situation:

Keep all cap holds: 8M over cap
                                Waive JJ, Scola and Nando: 2.3M cap room
                                Also waive Ross: 11.2M in cap room
                                Also waive DD: 25.4M in cap room (enough for a max offer on Durant, for example)

If JV and/or Ross are extended those extensions eat into our cap room if they are bigger than their cap holds (11.7M and 8.9M respectively).
                                JV's new contract eats into our cap room/adds to the amount we are over the cap by about 4.3 million if it's 4 years at 16 million even - or about what we would get back from Derozan's cap hold, if for whatever reason he were to opt in for his final year, and we now have 10 players under contract plus two first rounders.next year.

Anything I'm missing (or completely wrong on) in this attempt at an update?

Comment

Working...
                                X