Cavs Talk: Wiggin on the table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Would you want to build your team around Klay Thompson or Andrew Wiggins? The NBA won't end next season. There will be many more seasons in the future. Taking Thompson and Lee over Wiggins and Bennett would be an incredibly short sighted move, in my view.

Anyway, are reports now saying that the Warriors are offering Klay Thompson? Rumors have mostly been that it's just David Lee + Harrison Barnes, and Klay Thompson is off the table.
    I did write that Thompson, Lee, and Barnes is a better choice than Wiggins, Bennett and a late first rounder in 2015, didn't I?

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
      I did write that Thompson, Lee, and Barnes is a better choice than Wiggins, Bennett and a late first rounder in 2015, didn't I?
      I don't understand. I know that you wrote it. Do you mean that it's Lee and Barnes who make this the better deal? Lee is 31 years old and a terrible fit defensively next to Pekovic, Barnes is a scrub.

Comment

• To answer your question, yes, Lee and Barnes make this a better deal. Lee is good at all the same things as Love, rebounding and scoring, though not quite as good as Love. Both Love and Lee are poor defenders. Barnes and Bennett are different position players, but again I like Barnes better than Bennett.

Comment

• Fair enough. In my view, the only real asset in that deal is Klay Thompson, that's why I asked about Klay.

David Lee is aging and expensive. He's sort of like Luis Scola a few years ago, when the Rockets tried to offer him in every deal while he was still any good. And he's a bad fit, in my view. At least Love spaces the floor and he's tough, he's hard to move defensively in the post, he dominates defensive glass. David Lee is another post player. They already have a really good post player in Pekovic. Now they'd add another player who operates in the same area, and they would downgrade defense even more.

What's the most likely scenario? Can Rubio, Klay Thompson, Barnes, David Lee and Pekovic make the playoffs in the West? Pekovic is the best player on that team, and he's often injured. If he stays healthy this year, maybe they have a chance. IF.

But on paper, that team looks worse to me than their current team which can't make the playoffs. And they have David Lee making max, Pekovic making 12 mil (which would be a great deal if he wasn't injured so much), and Klay Thompson is asking for a max contract extension. And considering the current market, Klay might actually get it or close to it. Rubio is asking for a max too. That team has no real star, several age and health question marks, serious fit issues, and it won't have flexibility. That team will be stuck in mediocrity.

Harrison Barnes, maybe he develops very well and becomes that star. That would put them out of mediocrity. Who knows. But I wouldn't want to bet on that. I actually like Bennett more. At least Bennett is showing improvement. He had a good finish to the season, he's in great shape now, he had a few great games in the summer league.

I'd easily take Wiggins alone over that whole package. GSW can throw in a couple picks, and I'd still take Wiggins. Wiggins would give them a good chance to have a legit star. Something they don't have, and something that they need to have, especially in the West. And they'd have more flexibility, better contract situation.

Anyway, like I said, I think it's very premature for the Cavs to offer Wiggins, let alone Wiggins + Bennett + pick.
          I didn't even hear that the Warriors are offering Klay. And their offer of Lee+Barnes is just garbage compared to Wiggins.

Comment

• Barnes is about as raw as Bennett or Wiggins. The kid hasn't improved one bit and still has that below-average handle and awful jumpshot he had entering into the league two years ago. When Andre Igoudala buries you down the depth chart, you know have another thing comin'. Lee is another Boozer. The only person who could spice up that offer is Thompson, but his drastic improvement on both ends of the floor to go along with his chemistry with Curry will make it difficult for GS to trade him. Cleveland is the only team able to trade for Love and they'll play a waiting game. I wouldn't be surprised if they only trade Waiters, Bennett and a first rounder for Love.
            Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

• kopite91 wrote: View Post
              Barnes is about as raw as Bennett or Wiggins. The kid hasn't improved one bit and still has that below-average handle and awful jumpshot he had entering into the league two years ago. When Andre Igoudala buries you down the depth chart, you know have another thing comin'. Lee is another Boozer. The only person who could spice up that offer is Thompson, but his drastic improvement on both ends of the floor to go along with his chemistry with Curry will make it difficult for GS to trade him. Cleveland is the only team able to trade for Love and they'll play a waiting game. I wouldn't be surprised if they only trade Waiters, Bennett and a first rounder for Love.
              Agree. Saunder has really screwed up this trade. Every month TWolves get less for Love.

Comment

• I would find it remarkable if GS can trade for Love without having to trade away Klay Thompson.

Curry, Thompson, Iggy, Love, and Bogut is a star-studded starting lineup that actually has plenty of potential to be dynamic at both ends of the floor. While Curry and Love take care of the offensive end, Iguodala and Bogut anchor the defense. Thompson is their elusive glue gun guy who fits in well at both ends of the floor.

Their bench consists primarily of Livingston, Barnes, Green, O'Neal,and Jordan Crawford (if retained). If they can target some vet role players, they are title contenders.

You guys are right. Saunders would be wise to trade Love for Wiggins. Now is definitely the best time to make a trade, otherwise he risks having to make a trade at the deadline in 2015 or possibly losing him to free agency for nothing at all.
                I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

• https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/sou...185536749.html

The Cavs have acquired John Lucas, Malcolm Thomas and Erik Murphy from the Jazz to use in a deal for Love.
                  Give me liberty or give me a bran muffin! - Colin Mochrie

Comment

• kopite91 wrote: View Post
                    https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/sou...185536749.html

The Cavs have acquired John Lucas, Malcolm Thomas and Erik Murphy from the Jazz to use in a deal for Love.

pff
                    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Cavs coach during timeouts.
                      Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• "Stop talking! Both you guys out!" I wonder how well LBJ and other rather pampered NBA players are going to take discipline from the rookie coach.

Comment

• so.. Wiggins' trade is official. Man, timing is so important in NBA.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                            "Stop talking! Both you guys out!" I wonder how well LBJ and other rather pampered NBA players are going to take discipline from the rookie coach.
                            Pretty sure LeBron is a Dr facto coach on any team he plays on. The guys a basketball genius.
                            "Bruno?
                            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Teenagers having some fun at the Minnesota State Fair yesterday.

Comment

• Lebron didnt need no Wiggans there to take his thunder.

hahaha

i Think Cleveland cocked this up badly.

Comment

Working...
                                X