Cavs Talk: Wiggin on the table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    How do they lose him for nothing? The guys wants his payday and Cleveland wants to win rings. Wiggins is nice to keep but if it rocks the boat to try and hang on to him what do you think they do? Tell Love to take a small deal while NYC and LA are on the other line?

BALLS are required to play basketball. On the court and in the head office.
    He can simply test the market. He isn't DIEING to be a Cavalier you know.

These are the scenarios:

1) Minnesota chooses to trade Love to Cleveland, but NOT for wiggins

Result: Minnesota gets assets, Love gets championships

2) Minnesota plays hardball and DEMANDS wiggins for the trade

Results: Minnesota loses Love to free agency and gets NOTHING, Love gets to sign with any team that can afford him (Like the raptors)

Cleveland has no pressure to give up Wiggins for Love, all the pressure is on Minnesota because they have the MOST to lose, between Minnesota, Love, and Cleveland.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      1 year depending on whether Riley can perform a reasonable encore.

I don't think that brings them back to the same level though.
      He'll have the cap space. But he doesn't have the incentive of Dwayne Wade in his prime to recruit players. Wade is a big reason why Bosh and Lebron signed originally.

And if he doesn't make Wade whole after sacrificing himself and opting out, than I don't know what kind of agent will want to deal with him. That's Riley's biggest problem right now, the obligation of having to overpay Wade despite his decline. He might have to pay Wade about 8M a year more a year than his actual value.

If they lose Bosh I don't see how the Heat even makes the playoffs. Or am I crazy?

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
        He can simply test the market. He isn't DIEING to be a Cavalier you know.

These are the scenarios:

1) Minnesota chooses to trade Love to Cleveland, but NOT for wiggins

Result: Minnesota gets assets, Love gets championships

2) Minnesota plays hardball and DEMANDS wiggins for the trade

Results: Minnesota loses Love to free agency and gets NOTHING, Love gets to sign with any team that can afford him (Like the raptors)

Cleveland has no pressure to give up Wiggins for Love, all the pressure is on Minnesota because they have the MOST to lose, between Minnesota, Love, and Cleveland.
        That hardly ever happens. Minnesota is his gateway to the payday he's been waiting for. He could get hurt and not get a shot like this later, this isn't lost on players.

Love hasn't said anything yet and no one knows what the league landscape will look like next year. A lot can happen so these unnamed sources should be taken with a grain of salt.

Expecting Wiggins in return for one of the best bigmen in the game is reasonable. Don't lose sight of that.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
          He'll have the cap space. But he doesn't have the incentive of Dwayne Wade in his prime to recruit players. Wade is a big reason why Bosh and Lebron signed originally.

And if he doesn't make Wade whole after sacrificing himself and opting out, than I don't know what kind of agent will want to deal with him. That's Riley's biggest problem right now, the obligation of having to overpay Wade despite his decline. He might have to pay Wade about 8M a year more a year than his actual value.

If they lose Bosh I don't see how the Heat even makes the playoffs. Or am I crazy?
          Hence my comments about them not getting back to the same level.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
            if im Minny Im gonna hang up the phone if you dont offer me wiggins in every package
            This. There's no way you trade Love to CLE without getting Wiggins back in return.

Someone here suggested: Waiters + Bennett + TT + 1st for Love. That's pretty bad. Minnesota should get better offers than that from other teams.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
              This. There's no way you trade Love to CLE without getting Wiggins back in return.

Someone here suggested: Waiters + Bennett + TT + 1st for Love. That's pretty bad. Minnesota should get better offers than that from other teams.
              This is what Denver got for trading Carmelo (people considered it a good trade for Denver):

Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov,
              the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick,
              the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick,
              the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick
              and $3 million in cash.

How is that much different from

Waiters, Bennett, Tristan Thompson
              Heat first-rounder
              throw in a couple of 2nd rounders
              add $5 mil in cash

In fact, Waiters + Bennett + Tristan Thompson are all young and full of potential, unlike Chandler, Felton, and Mozgov.

Comment

Not if it's clear that Love won't extend with those teams.

If Love + the Cavs get the word out that Love will be signing with Cleveland next summer regardless of what happens this year, the Minny is lucky to get Waiter + Bennett + Thompson + 1st (and, may not even need to include the 1st).
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                  Not if it's clear that Love won't extend with those teams.

If Love + the Cavs get the word out that Love will be signing with Cleveland next summer regardless of what happens this year, the Minny is lucky to get Waiter + Bennett + Thompson + 1st (and, may not even need to include the 1st).
                  Cavs have no capspace next year. They just extended Irving for max and got Lebron for max. The only way Klove goes to Cleveland is through a trade.

Comment

Come guys, this is a dance but at the end of the day Love wants to make sure he has a happy ending and that's getting paid and getting rings. If I'm Love I probably am neutral on a rookie who never proved a thing being on that team. The Cavs aren't a strong management team, they will blink first.

Comment

This is what Denver got for trading Carmelo (people considered it a good trade for Denver):

Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov,
                      the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick,
                      the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick,
                      the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick
                      and $3 million in cash.

How is that much different from

Waiters, Bennett, Tristan Thompson
                      Heat first-rounder
                      throw in a couple of 2nd rounders
                      add $5 mil in cash

In fact, Waiters + Bennett + Tristan Thompson are all young and full of potential, unlike Chandler, Felton, and Mozgov.
                      Gallinari was the centerpiece of that trade for Denver. He was a highly regarded young player at that time. There's NO WAY Denver trades Melo to NY if Gallinari wasn't part of the package.

Who's the Gallinari of the Cavs? Wiggins.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Gallinari was the centerpiece of that trade for Denver. He was a highly regarded young player at that time. There's NO WAY Denver trades Melo to NY if Gallinari wasn't part of the package.

Gallinari = Waiters

Gallinari stats the year NY traded him:
                        15.9 ppg - 41% FG - 35% 3pt - 4.8 rpg - 1.7 apg (34.8 mpg)

Waiters stats this year:
                        15.9 ppg - 43% FG - 37% 3pt - 2.8 rpg - 2.0 apg (29.6 mpg)

So Waiters is the Gallinari of this trade.

Comment

Gallinari = Waiters

Gallinari stats the year NY traded him:
                          15.9 ppg - 41% FG - 35% 3pt - 4.8 rpg - 1.7 apg (34.8 mpg)

Waiters stats this year:
                          15.9 ppg - 43% FG - 37% 3pt - 2.8 rpg - 2.0 apg (29.6 mpg)

So Waiters is the Gallinari of this trade.
                          LOL. No he's not. You're reaching. Forget about the stats. Not sure if you remember. Gallinari a few years ago was a HIGHLY TOUTED YOUNG PLAYER. Waiters is just meh. Heck, a lot of people criticized the Cavs taking him pick 4th overall in the draft. Not a llot of ppl love his game.
                          Last edited by The Great One; Fri Jul 11, 2014, 03:32 PM.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

I agree, Wiggins has to be part of the deal. Waiters, Bennett and Thompson + picks isn't enough IMO. Waiters may have character issues, Bennet looks close to a bust for a NO.1 pick, Thompson is a decent piece. Wiggins is probably the highest regarded pick since LBJ, they will want him I'm sure. If Wiggins isn't on the table, I don't think they pull the trigger.

And I think CLE would gladly move Wiggins to get Love. Why wouldn't they? Love, LBJ, and Irving is a solid core and would be for years to come. More sustainable than MIA's big3 IMO, unless one of them fall apart like Wade did.

Comment

LOL. No he's not. You're reaching. Forget about the stats. Not sure if you remember. Gallinari a few years ago was a HIGHLY TOUTED YOUNG PLAYER. Waiters is just meh. Heck, a lot of people criticized the Cavs taking him pick 4th overall in the draft. Not a llot of ppl love his game.
                              Wait a second... so player A gets the same stats as player B, with less minutes AND more efficiently... and player B is somehow better? I don't remember much hype for Gallinari, but its irrelevant to actual production. I think they liked him for his stretch big abilities more than anything.

Doesn't matter. Wiggins is at a totally different level than either Gallinari or Waiters or Klay Thompson (the kid they were going to trade Love for).

So if Minnesota can accept Klay Thompson for Love type deal, then surely you can sell them something LESS THAN WIGGINS to get him.

Minnesota really has no choice unless another team offers them something better.... which they WONT, because they need to make sure Love commits to that team and signs an extension. Whats going to happen if Minnesota does not take Clevelands low ball offer, is that Love goes free during FA next year, Minnesota gets nothing in return, and Love finds a team like the Raptors who make the playoffs and have cap space to sign him.

Comment

What does it mean to "make whole"? I keep seeing it again and again.
                                "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Working...
                                X