View Poll Results: How would you rate Casey as a coach?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

2 6.45%
  • B

20 64.52%
  • C

9 29.03%
  • D

0 0%
  • F

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Dwane Casey

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Everything Dwane Casey

I feel like this guy is a much better coach than he's given credit for. Really how many coaches in the league can you say are objectively better?

Definitely Better:
    - Thibs
    - Carlisle
    - SVG
    - Rivers
    - Pop
    - Hollins

About the same level:
    - Vogel
    - Spo
    - Hornacek

So this to me makes him at least a top 10 coach. Surround him with great offensive minds as assistants (which we have) and you've got an amazing coaching staff.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say most of us don't see enough games of other guys to dissect other coaches as much.

I also think Hollins is constantly overrated. He had very talented teams in Memphis, so I don't know how much you can really say their success was because of coaching. They had a very obvious strength (big men) that any basketball fan would've known to try and exploit.

Still, there are definite flaws to Casey as a coach, and he's got a limited opportunity to show he can grow as a coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Stevens, Budenhoizer, Stotts, and Clifford are all guys better than or equal to Casey IMO.

Casey is an average nba coach....above average at getting the message across/keeping everyone on same page but below average at game time decisions.

All in all I think he is average but the perfect coach for the next two seasons.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Stevens, Budenhoizer, Stotts, and Clifford are all guys better than or equal to Casey IMO.

Casey is an average nba coach....above average at getting the message across/keeping everyone on same page but below average at game time decisions.

All in all I think he is average but the perfect coach for the next two seasons.
    Budenholzer - yes.

Stevens - really hard to say but the complete lack of evidence would cause me to lean on the side of probably not

Stotts - eeehhhh, he's like the opposite of Casey. A lot of defensive talent on that team (Lopez, Aldridge, Batum, Matthews) but they had one of the worst Ds in the league.

Clifford - yeah, I'd say he's Casey's equal

Casey's in the 2nd tier of coaches.

Tier 1:

Thibs
    Carlisle
    SVG
    Rivers
    Pop

Tier 1.5:

Budenholzer (because he seems great but I'm not ready to put him with those top guys yet, he just hasn't shown his stuff for long enough)

Tier 2:

Hollins
    Casey
    Clifford
    Stotts
    Vogel
    Spo
    Hornacek
    Joerger (? maybe, I'm not totally sold, he's got a sweet name though)

Casey solidly in the top 15. I think he's an above average NBA coach, and I think the next two years will determine exactly how far above average he really is.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There are four things that really bug me about Casey:

1) His teams defensive collapse in his 2nd year.
    2) Throwing his kids under the bus.
    3) Plays out of time outs.
    4) "Hell or high water" - whether that is Andrea, Rudy or someone else.. When he loves a player they have free reign no matter how many bone headed moves they make.

But the players love to play for him. And one of the most important things when coaching adults is to earn their respect. He's got that. A tactical coach would be great but if they can't motivate or if players tune them out then its not worth it.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    There are four things that really bug me about Casey:

1) His teams defensive collapse in his 2nd year.
    2) Throwing his kids under the bus.
    3) Plays out of time outs.
    4) "Hell or high water" - whether that is Andrea, Rudy or someone else.. When he loves a player they have free reign no matter how many bone headed moves they make.

But the players love to play for him. And one of the most important things when coaching adults is to earn their respect. He's got that. A tactical coach would be great but if they can't motivate or if players tune them out then its not worth it.
    Also no accountability for Veterans. Gay, Bargs and even DD never got pulled for poor play. Not to mention Salmons and Anderson. Guys end up in the doghouse to long. Spurs would yank Duncan if he wasn't playing properly and they give Daye and Bonner minutes with more time if they play properly.

Raptors Republic All-Star stooley's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Also no accountability for Veterans. Gay, Bargs and even DD never got pulled for poor play. Not to mention Salmons and Anderson. Guys end up in the doghouse to long. Spurs would yank Duncan if he wasn't playing properly and they give Daye and Bonner minutes with more time if they play properly.
    Yet his players absolutely love him, including the younger ones. Might we not be misreading the situation?

8. Like MunsMunny, special1, imanshumpert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote stooley wrote: View Post
    Yet his players absolutely love him, including the younger ones. Might we not be misreading the situation?
    They were winning. Keeping players commitment if they start .500 or exit the first round again is the test. Casey's flaws are just quirks when the team is playing with the second highest winning % in the conference post-trade.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I do find it hilarious how little credit Casey gets for building a top 10 defense here when supposedly:

- Val has not matured on that end of the floor yet
    - Ross has the physical tools but is prone to mistakes and needs to improve defensive IQ
    - DeRozan is a sieve on defense and can't guard anyone.

Casey working miracles

11. Like special1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    I do find it hilarious how little credit Casey gets for building a top 10 defense here when supposedly:

- Val has not matured on that end of the floor yet
    - Ross has the physical tools but is prone to mistakes and needs to improve defensive IQ
    - DeRozan is a sieve on defense and can't guard anyone.

Casey working miracles
    Top 10 defense isn't that great. Houston had similar defensive numbers. If the team focus is defence being top ten sucks. Charlotte was 6th.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ppl act like Casey is the only coach in the league that doesn't play young players. I'd like for ppl to find a coach that was starting two second year players and playing them 25+ mins each. Oh yeah a winning team while your at it.

It's also not fair to compare other coaches cause when don't watch their games with microscope like we do with Casey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

14. Like ezz_bee, special1 liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Top 10 defense isn't that great. Houston had similar defensive numbers. If the team focus is defence being top ten sucks. Charlotte was 6th.
    Top 10 defense and offense, not just focused on defense.

Only Toronto, Golden State, San Antonio, OKC and the Clippers were top 10 in both categories.

16. Like chch166, MunsMunny liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How about being top10 in defensive and offensive efficiency

@Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Casey is fine for now

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Ppl act like Casey is the only coach in the league that doesn't play young players. I'd like for ppl to find a coach that was starting two second year players and playing them 25+ mins each. Oh yeah a winning team while your at it.

It's also not fair to compare other coaches cause when don't watch their games with microscope like we do with Casey.

This. We were actually the only playoff team to start TWO players with two years or less experience.

Washington, Charlotte, Houston and Portland are the only other teams that even started 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

Team was 7 deep. He had no choice. In two sub .500 seasons he favored veterans. Name lottery bound teams coaches that don't play previous seasons lottery picks. If your under .500 at the ASG trying to squeak out a couple of wins by missing development opportunities is poor roster management.

Raptors Republic Starter JordanMariam14's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad we kept Casey, he's great at keeping everyone on check and works with his players througuh and the summer.

Moving him would change the identity and culture of this team.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

22. Like MunsMunny liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
    I'm glad we kept Casey, he's great at keeping everyone on check and works with his players througuh and the summer.

Moving him would change the identity and culture of this team.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    No choice really. Lakers still don't have a coach and TWolves just demoted the GM. Current trend would mean either Jack Armstrong or Mugsy takes the position.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Team was 7 deep. He had no choice. In two sub .500 seasons he favored veterans. Name lottery bound teams coaches that don't play previous seasons lottery picks. If your under .500 at the ASG trying to squeak out a couple of wins by missing development opportunities is poor roster management.
    Remind me which ones didn't play?

Jonas started every game and played 25 minutes a night. Ross played 17 minutes per game, and frankly we had Gay so he sure as hell was not gonna start and Anderson was a better offensive weapon than him that season. Casey was obviously given a mandate to try and make the playoffs by BC and management, especially after acquiring Rudy. While we had a bad record, we weren't out of playoff contention until like game #76.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote imanshumpert wrote: View Post
    Remind me which ones didn't play?

Jonas started every game and played 25 minutes a night. Ross played 17 minutes per game, and frankly we had Gay so he sure as hell was not gonna start and Anderson was a better offensive weapon than him that season. Casey was obviously given a mandate to try and make the playoffs by BC and management, especially after acquiring Rudy. While we had a bad record, we weren't out of playoff contention until like game #76.
    That's a treadmill team by definition. I'm anti-tank but trying to squeeze into the playoffs end of season to be eliminated first round by playing vets is horrible planning. Blame BC or Casey but Casey is the only one left. Casey needs to show some ability to guide a team past the first round to keep his job.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information