Everything Dwane Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully wrote: View Post
    Of the playoffs? Yes - you're right. The Spurs have been much better.
    Top 2 seed. As in, of the Cavs/Spurs/Warriors/Raptors, the teams finishing top 2 in their conferences, the Raptors have been much less impressive than the others.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
      To a large extent, I'm not talking about underperforming in terms of wins and losses.

I'm talking about underperforming in terms of using the regular season to prepare your team and systems for a long, tough playoff run.
      and if when that long/tough playoff run happens, you will of course change your views on the matter right?

this is the problem of absolute arguments. personally, i think we should be a low post dominant team. i do understand that kyle and demar are our best players and the coaching staff is trying to build everything around them though. pg lead teams are very difficult to win with.

i assume, rightly or wrongly, that it is about hierarchy for coach casey. he wants the new guys to come in and know their place. that is how you get vets and young players to buy into the system and mature without getting ahead of themselves. maybe i am wrong, hasn't happened yet but it could.

this team, under casey has improved every single year, in the regular season. so far this year they have improved in the post season, from a year ago. we praise masai for getting "casey players" then criticize casey for using them as he wants.

take casey out from the equation and it won't matter. we have turned on every single coach that has been in this organization. after casey we will turn on the next one. we love bigV now and the next young center we have with a bit of success will become our "favourite" and we will put that player on a pedestal and lower JV. has happened again and again here in toronto.

somewhere in this thread, i think, from december maybe i mentioned how whatever team plays us in the playoffs is going to hate us. because we play hard and don't quit. round one of the playoffs has shown that true. that to me seems like they were preparing for the playoffs.

Comment

Top 2 seed. As in, of the Cavs/Spurs/Warriors/Raptors, the teams finishing top 2 in their conferences, the Raptors have been much less impressive than the others.
        Hahah what - you actually meant this year? Of course the Raptors were the worst top two seed this season - it's because they are.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
          and if when that long/tough playoff run happens, you will of course change your views on the matter right?

this is the problem of absolute arguments. personally, i think we should be a low post dominant team. i do understand that kyle and demar are our best players and the coaching staff is trying to build everything around them though. pg lead teams are very difficult to win with.

i assume, rightly or wrongly, that it is about hierarchy for coach casey. he wants the new guys to come in and know their place. that is how you get vets and young players to buy into the system and mature without getting ahead of themselves. maybe i am wrong, hasn't happened yet but it could.

this team, under casey has improved every single year, in the regular season. so far this year they have improved in the post season, from a year ago. we praise masai for getting "casey players" then criticize casey for using them as he wants.

take casey out from the equation and it won't matter. we have turned on every single coach that has been in this organization. after casey we will turn on the next one. we love bigV now and the next young center we have with a bit of success will become our "favourite" and we will put that player on a pedestal and lower JV. has happened again and again here in toronto.

somewhere in this thread, i think, from december maybe i mentioned how whatever team plays us in the playoffs is going to hate us. because we play hard and don't quit. round one of the playoffs has shown that true. that to me seems like they were preparing for the playoffs.
          The Raptors haven't had a really good coach in team history, being honest. Casey's alright, but he has his flaws, and his limited offense is the biggest of these.

Comment

What are you trying to say? We're not as good as golden state, the spurs and cavs? Yeah...and??

For a guy is supposedly a big fan you sure look for a lot of different and sometimes odd ways to trash the team
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Welcome to the East.
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

This seems more like a positive towards what Casey has been able to achieve with a roster not nearly as talented as those other three teams.

Comment

The Raptors haven't had a really good coach in team history, being honest. Casey's alright, but he has his flaws, and his limited offense is the biggest of these.
                  Casey has learned and improved. I used to be on the fire Casey bandwagon but he is proving to me he is the best coach for our current situation.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                    If you guys think Casey is a better coach than Vogel then I can't reason with you. That's beyond fucking insane. We have way way way way more talent than the Pacers. Outside of PG that's pretty much a dog shit roster.

If Casey was a great coach BC would still be GM. The play has improved as the roster has improved, it has zero to do with Casey. Swap any NBA head coach out with Casey and we're still the 2 seed in the East, and probably 1 seed depending on which coach we swapped him for.
                    'Zero to do with Casey'. I must respectfully disagree. He has learned to adjust this year --yes he can be stubborn but he has improved. He cannot make shots for KL or DD. His job is to put them in the best situation to be successful and to sit them if they are hurting the team.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                      'Zero to do with Casey'. I must respectfully disagree. He has learned to adjust this year --yes he can be stubborn but he has improved. He cannot make shots for KL or DD. His job is to put them in the best situation to be successful and to sit them if they are hurting the team.
                      I would argue that part of 'putting them in the best situation to be successful' is not running them into the ground during the regular season, especially when your team has the depth to not play them such a ridiculous amount of minutes.

Comment

• I was under the impression that we were pretty awful the minutes Kyle and DeMar were not on the floor. And seemed like at least Kyle was vital to the success of all of those bench line up's.

I definitely think that Kyles minutes will have to be reduced and is something which they are going to look at more closely during the summer. Perhaps the emergence of Powell as a capable and trust worthy player can help in that area.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                          I was under the impression that we were pretty awful the minutes Kyle and DeMar were not on the floor. And seemed like at least Kyle was vital to the success of all of those bench line up's.

I definitely think that Kyles minutes will have to be reduced and is something which they are going to look at more closely during the summer. Perhaps the emergence of Powell as a capable and trust worthy player can help in that area.
                          You can play Kyle and DeMar less minutes than they played during the regular season and still have one of them on the floor all the time, simply by staggering their minutes more and playing them less often together.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            I was under the impression that we were pretty awful the minutes Kyle and DeMar were not on the floor. And seemed like at least Kyle was vital to the success of all of those bench line up's.

Yeah, but the argument all year is that since DD was great without Kyle out there and Kyle was great without DD out there (ie both were just fine beside CoJo), the minutes where they play together should have been reduced to reduce their overall workload. Still a lot of minutes, mind you, but we don't need Lowry playing 40 MPG for half the season.

Emergence of Powell should be irrelevant - they had all the working lineups they needed to get both players a lot more rest than they got (though frankly I don't care about DD's rest, he's a tank).
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              Yeah, but the argument all year is that since DD was great without Kyle out there and Kyle was great without DD out there (ie both were just fine beside CoJo), the minutes where they play together should have been reduced to reduce their overall workload. Still a lot of minutes, mind you, but we don't need Lowry playing 40 MPG for half the season.

Emergence of Powell should be irrelevant - they had all the working lineups they needed to get both players a lot more rest than they got (though frankly I don't care about DD's rest, he's a tank).
                              I agree with both you and Barolt, but I also don't think that not having implemented that as yet makes Casey a bad coach. It's all a process and as good players get introduced to what is becoming an actual system I think the more flexibility Casey will have to do these things. We obviously have the luxury to point what isn't working, the coaches have to actually go through the process of implementing those things which are not that easy.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                                After 5 games, you've had 1 all-star performance out of KL/DD. That's 1 out of 10 = 10%. After 5 games, Indiana, has had 5 all-star performances out of Paul George. That's 5 out of 5 = 100%. Actually, George is playing even better than the regular season, so that's like 10 out of 5.

So, it's pretty apparent to say that Vogel is getting more than expected out of his 1 all-star and Casey is getting much less than expected out of his 2 all-stars. Yet, we are winning the series. It seems to be an obvious conclusion that the talent depth on the roster (hello Masai!) is bailing out the Casey/Kyle/Demar core.

That said, Vogel did eff up game 5 by sitting George too long. Indy had basically zero margin of error to overcome the talent disparity and that one error will be his undoing. Casey, by comparison, can makes lots of mistakes, but he can still plug in a talented rookie like Powell to make up for it. Vogel has no such options.
                                Last edited by golden; Fri Apr 29, 2016, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X