No announcement yet.

Everything Dwane Casey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No one can be surprised that Masai didn't leave his coach hanging out on a limb right before the playoffs. Not saying I don't believe Masai, but there really wasn't an alternative. You can change your mind later, but you can't undermine your whole team like that at this point in the season (or any time really).
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Everything Dwane Casey

KHD wrote: View Post
      I'm not a fan of dwane casey, obviously. I don't think he's a good coach. I think he has a good team and a borderline mvp candidate. but i don't really give a shit who's coaching if we're winning now and in the future.

so, casey lovers, if we fuck up the playoffs and he's exposed yet again, what then?
      I pray to god he gets fired

And we break up the Lowry derozan jv core
      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
        I'm not a fan of dwane casey, obviously. I don't think he's a good coach. I think he has a good team and a borderline mvp candidate. but i don't really give a shit who's coaching if we're winning now and in the future.

so, casey lovers, if we fuck up the playoffs and he's exposed yet again, what then?
        Then move the god damn franchise to Buffalo. I'd much rather drive my ass there to watch the Raptors succeed than to hear all the bitching and whining from American players about how Canada is not The US and they don't wanna play here. Cuz at that point it's just a talent issue if these players can't go past the first round then they are not playoff materials. They don't say we need a superstar to win in this league for nothing.

Comment

• I love this. It is not unexpected though. If he doesn't make the statement then the press goes all in during every interview. hurting the teams focus.

"demar, what are your thoughts and whether casey deserves to be coach?"
          "kyle, tough loss tonight. do you think this means casey isn't back?"
          "jonas, good hard fought win tonight. what does this say about casey and whether he deserves to be coach next season."

it doesn't mean anything until after the playoffs when he gets a new contract. he is a good coach.
          Last edited by Miekenstien; Thu Apr 14, 2016, 01:02 AM.

Comment

• Hate to say I told you so, so...

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              Hate to say I told you so, so...
              "Until the ink is on the paper it don't mean shit"

- DeAndre Jordan, probably

Comment

• As long as we continue to surround casey with talented assistant coaches im fine with him remaining coach. He has issues but still there are not many better options, and he is good enough to make us competetive. He is a real people person and seems to be rather well respected, which certainly helps with free agents more than having the position vacant.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                  As long as we continue to surround casey with talented assistant coaches im fine with him remaining coach. He has issues but still there are not many better options, and he is good enough to make us competetive. He is a real people person and seems to be rather well respected, which certainly helps with free agents more than having the position vacant.
                  Pretty much that.
                  "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                  "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• This Grange fellas seems to be pitching the bigger picture;

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...ayoff-success/

After reading Casey's background piece on NBA.com you can get a sense of why Ujiri is concerned with the 20 year outlook. Not the April/May Forecast.

If you consider the Raptors 'yours' and in that sense a public trust, long term stewardship sounds like attractive asset management. Assets beyond the players, like the team, the brand, the facilities, the community. Compared to say BC who was consumed by quick fix transactions and rode the hype; its not only favorable it seems fundamental to have people looking to be the next Spurs. Not 'accelerating the Process' in Philly.

Comment

• Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                      This Grange fellas seems to be pitching the bigger picture;

After reading Casey's background piece on NBA.com you can get a sense of why Ujiri is concerned with the 20 year outlook. Not the April/May Forecast.

If you consider the Raptors 'yours' and in that sense a public trust, long term stewardship sounds like attractive asset management. Assets beyond the players, like the team, the brand, the facilities, the community. Compared to say BC who was consumed by quick fix transactions and rode the hype; its not only favorable it seems fundamental to have people looking to be the next Spurs. Not 'accelerating the Process' in Philly.
                      Good read.

Comment

• Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                        This Grange fellas seems to be pitching the bigger picture;

For me, a lot of the frustration or intrigue, is a direct result of the inconsistencies we've heard from MU.

After the heartbreaking, last-second, game 7 loss to Brooklyn, MU came out publically and stated that the expectation for the following season was to progress from that season. The only way that could possibly be interpreted, was to get out of the first round (though I suppose losing in overtime in game 7 would technically be progress from a regulation loss). Drawing up the final, most important play since Vinsanity's rim-out against Philly back in 2001, on the wrong side of the court, was also inexcusable.

After the epic, record-setting disaster that last season's playoffs were for the Raptors, MU again came out and publically stated that this year the team (players, coaches, etc...) would be evaluated on playoff results. Again, I'm not sure how a third straight 1st round exit could possibly be considered any sort of progress, especially given that fact that the Raptors finished 2nd in a more competitive ECF and are favorites with home-court advantage for the third straight season.

To me, suggesting that the Raptors aren't talented enough to be considered favorites at least in the first round (yet the back-to-back, record-setting regular seasons are trumpeted as huge triumphs), or that they are somehow still a work-in-progress (despite their two core players being seasoned all-star veterans, including an MVP now in his 30's), seems like a complete cop-out.

I really hope it's just a smokescreen from MU, to ensure the focus is on the court, rather than off it. If the Raptors do flame-out in the first round again, I would really start to question MU's integrity if he went back on his publically-stated word for a second straight offseason, maintaining both a core (Lowry & DeRozan) and head coach (Casey) that will have epically failed for the third straight year.

If Casey is going to be credited with all the regular season success, then he needs to be held accountable for any completely unacceptable playoff failure, especially since it would be the same result (record number of regular season wins, home-court, playoff failure) three years in a row.

On paper, no matter how you slice it, Toronto is superior to Indiana. Frankly, I think Toronto should rightfully be favored over Charlotte in the 2nd round, while being on even ground (at worst) with Miami. As fans, we should expect better.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          For me, a lot of the frustration or intrigue, is a direct result of the inconsistencies we've heard from MU.

After the heartbreaking, last-second, game 7 loss to Brooklyn, MU came out publically and stated that the expectation for the following season was to progress from that season. The only way that could possibly be interpreted, was to get out of the first round (though I suppose losing in overtime in game 7 would technically be progress from a regulation loss). Drawing up the final, most important play since Vinsanity's rim-out against Philly back in 2001, on the wrong side of the court, was also inexcusable.

After the epic, record-setting disaster that last season's playoffs were for the Raptors, MU again came out and publically stated that this year the team (players, coaches, etc...) would be evaluated on playoff results. Again, I'm not sure how a third straight 1st round exit could possibly be considered any sort of progress, especially given that fact that the Raptors finished 2nd in a more competitive ECF and are favorites with home-court advantage for the third straight season.

To me, suggesting that the Raptors aren't talented enough to be considered favorites at least in the first round (yet the back-to-back, record-setting regular seasons are trumpeted as huge triumphs), or that they are somehow still a work-in-progress (despite their two core players being seasoned all-star veterans, including an MVP now in his 30's), seems like a complete cop-out.

I really hope it's just a smokescreen from MU, to ensure the focus is on the court, rather than off it. If the Raptors do flame-out in the first round again, I would really start to question MU's integrity if he went back on his publically-stated word for a second straight offseason, maintaining both a core (Lowry & DeRozan) and head coach (Casey) that will have epically failed for the third straight year.

If Casey is going to be credited with all the regular season success, then he needs to be held accountable for any completely unacceptable playoff failure, especially since it would be the same result (record number of regular season wins, home-court, playoff failure) three years in a row.

On paper, no matter how you slice it, Toronto is superior to Indiana. Frankly, I think Toronto should rightfully be favored over Charlotte in the 2nd round, while being on even ground (at worst) with Miami. As fans, we should expect better.
                          At the end of the day I think he's trying to make sure the players keep playing loose, and the same brand of ball that got hem to 56 wins, not freeze up and feel the immense pressure in game 1, or a possible game 6 in indy or even game 7 in toronto.

It helps nobody to come out beforehand and go "yeah, this is an absolute must to move on. We keep failing in the first round. If these guys don't do it expect heads to roll."

The current squad doesn't want to hear about changes. They want to hear they have a general manager that will live and die with THEM, and not just their owner.

Much the same way that the team keeps everything airtight surrounding trades etc. It benefits nobody for the team to show their cards. The only benefit would be to the other 29 competitors and the fans unquenchable thirst for information
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I agree with this, and have espoused many of the same concerns. Hiding behind "we're still growing" and "we're a work in progress" absolutely sounds like a cop-out to me. Obviously he's trying to downplay expectations and alleviate the pressure on Casey, but when you've won 56 games and set franchise records across the board, it looks foolish. He would never come out and say it, but another first round exit would be an absolute failure. Pretending otherwise is an insult to the fanbase's intelligence.

Comment

Where did Masai say that Toronto shouldn't be considered a favourite? He doesn't even mention the opponent once. I don't think at all that he was softening the blow in case they get upset again. Grange clearly states Masai was speaking about the franchise as a whole.

He's responsible for a lot more than just one season's W-L record. I guess that could be considered a cop-out, smokescreen, or as Sinbad states "an insult to the fanbase's intelligence", but it's not the job of any GM to appease the fanbase. Especially when the majority of it wants to hear one thing - if the Raps lose, heads will roll.

Though I agree, it's fair to think that DD and Lowry are finished products - though it was also fair in previous years and ultimately incorrect. Add JJ, Scola, JT and Carroll to the list. Out of the 9 other players on the roster who isn't a work in progress? Masai brought in 7 new players after last season. But you don't agree that the team as a whole might not be a finished product?

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                              I really hope it's just a smokescreen from MU, to ensure the focus is on the court, rather than off it.....maintaining both a core (Lowry & DeRozan) and head coach (Casey) that will have epically failed for the third straight year.

Maybe winning and losing is all that matters, but otherwise there were very few similarities between the last two playoffs and I doubt there will be many this year as well.
                              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

There is no inconsistency. You are confusing operational decision-making and goals with strategic decision-making and goals.

EDIT: Also, on this, MU did clearly evaluate the team based on its playoff performance and clearly found it lacking. Hence, Carroll, Biyombo, Joseph, Scola and his pursuit of Aldridge and Mathews, the new asst coaches and a new defensive system, and the drafting of two way players like Powell and Wright. Lots of operational decisions were made, they just weren't necessarily obvious at the time.
                                Last edited by slaw; Fri Apr 15, 2016, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X