Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grantland: NBA Lottery Reform Is Coming

Zach Lowe wrote:
    The proposal, which dominated the lottery-reform discussion in league meetings this week, is essentially an attempt to squeeze the lottery odds at either extreme toward a more balanced system in which all 14 teams have a relatively similar chance at the no. 1 pick, per sources familiar with the proposal.

Under the current system, the team with the worst record has a 25 percent chance of snagging the no. 1 pick, perhaps the most valuable asset in the entire NBA. The team with the second-worst record has a 19.9 percent chance of winning the no. 1 pick, and the third-worst team enters the lottery with a 15.6 percent chance of moving up to the top slot. The odds decline from there, with the final five teams in the lottery — the teams with the five best records — each having a 1.1 percent or worse chance of moving up to no. 1.

The league’s proposal gives at least the four worst teams the same chance at winning the no. 1 pick: approximately an identical 11 percent shot for each club. The odds decline slowly from there, with the team in the next spot holding a 10 percent chance. The lottery team with the best record will have a 2 percent chance of leaping to the no. 1 pick, up from the the minuscule 0.5 percent chance it has under the current system.

The proposal also calls for the drawing of the first six picks via the Ping-Pong ball lottery, sources say. The current lottery system actually involves the drawing of only the top three selections. The rest of the lottery goes in order of record, from worst to best, after the top-three drawing is over.

The league could implement lottery reform as early as next season, though there are many hurdles to overcome before then. And it’s important to note that the league has kicked around several different proposals with varying weights; the 11 percent figure for the first teams is not universal among those proposals, sources say.
    Source - Grantland

I like it. It takes away the incentive to tank completely.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

It's about time. Probably the right kind of thing to try before anything more radical too.

Comment

I like it.

I was really dead set against the wheel.

Lottery for top6 with no one getting more than 11% chance to win? Perfect.

I hope this is implemented for 2016 with New York and Denver both being lottery teams.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          I like it.

I was really dead set against the wheel.

Lottery for top6 with no one getting more than 11% chance to win? Perfect.

I hope this is implemented for 2016 with New York and Denver both being lottery teams.
          That would be huge, a guaranteed lottery pick along with our own, with a decent chance of getting top 6? awesome
          The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Oh, I just realized thanks to 007's comment... 1st round draft picks for a lot of teams, become ALOT more valuable!
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Working...
            X