Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hassan Whiteside

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hassan Whiteside

If we can't acquire a backup C, and a chance that Bebe might not get the buyout from Spain, perhaps we should look into Hassan Whiteside as our backup C behind Val. I know it's a gamble but he dude played great for the Raptors Summer League.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Hassan. Active, huge frame, rebounds well, and He can even drive on the face-up.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Raptors Republic Veteran MACK11's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The guys is a beast in the paint and he has a fierce attitude

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

At the very least he can clog the lane a bit like Aaron Gray did so big's like Demarcus Cousins won't abuse us that much. An athletic big like Jonas and an undersized big Chuck Hayes are rendered useless when defending a real big centre thus there is a need for that.

5. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he is the best big available. Okafor is still un-signed, right?
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic All-Star Raptorsnz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    At the very least he can clog the lane a bit like Aaron Gray did so big's like Demarcus Cousins won't abuse us that much. An athletic big like Jonas and an undersized big Chuck Hayes are rendered useless when defending a real big centre thus there is a need for that.
    Funnily enough Hayes defended Cousins really well when they last played.

8. Like ReubenJRD, phdmac liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Yabadabayolo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    I don't think he is the best big available. Okafor is still un-signed, right?
    Would you rather an old big with injury concerns and no chance to improve or a young big that does close to the same thing with many opportunities to improve...id take the latter
    In Swag we Trust

-Nick Young

Raptors Republic All-Star jacobdr4's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    Would you rather an old big with injury concerns and no chance to improve or a young big that does close to the same thing with many opportunities to improve...id take the latter
    Not to mention even with all okafor's injury trouble he would be way more expensive than Whiteside.

11. Like Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

whiteside doesn't remotely move the needle
    @jerboat

13. Like c_bcm liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie knowledgep's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He's much bigger since the last time I saw him a few years back, although i can see his attitude hindering his ability to get a contract. I would still take him over Chuck Hayes any day of the week on the court. I see Hayes as a locker room guy and a mentor for the young ones.

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote knowledgep wrote: View Post
    He's much bigger since the last time I saw him a few years back, although i can see his attitude hindering his ability to get a contract. I would still take him over Chuck Hayes any day of the week on the court. I see Hayes as a locker room guy and a mentor for the young ones.
    I think you nailed it in reference to his attitude. Dude is a serious head case and if you watched the Raps/Rox game you can see why he's in summer league. Dude just doesn't know how to keep guys from getting under his skin and resorts to thuggish play and trying to do too much. He also just has a limited BBall IQ from what I've seen/heard. Despite last night being a "must win" (lol, Summer league must win) he was unaware of his foul situation and trying to drive from the top of the key through heavy traffic.

When you see a guy with his gifts of talent and size and he can't get even a minimum contract you know something is very wrong.
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

16. Like c_bcm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No on Whiteside. If he was such a beast inside, then he would've played in the NBA the last 2 seasons. He has played a total of 20 games for Sac. 1 in his rookie year 2010-2011, and 19 in 2011-2012. I would much rather take a chance on Okafor who would provide veteran leadership for Jonas' development. We have plenty of projects on this team right now. No need for another.
    I'm drinking the Kool-Aid. I believe. ECF BABY!

18. Like ReubenJRD, white men can't jump liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter mjt20mik's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll pass. If Ed got a 2 year 2 million dollar deal, I'm sure we can get someone for the vet's min.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Whiteside is terrible. We already have Bebe as a project C, and Jonas is still young too (same age as Bebe actually). Don't need another, especially one who hasn't shown any real improvement other than getting bigger since being drafted. If Bebe is brought onto the roster this year, absolutely no need for him...if he's not, I'd rather have a vet who can contribute anyway than bring in Whiteside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote mjt20mik wrote: View Post
    I'll pass. If Ed got a 2 year 2 million dollar deal, I'm sure we can get someone for the vet's min.
    Could be a sign that the money's dried up for free agents...so yeah, maybe we get someone on the cheap.

Raptors Republic Rookie Paradigm Shift's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I caught my first glimpse of Raptors summer league .... the second half of last night's game. I may never watch summer league again!

I realize that it is unfair to judge anyone from that horrid team display (and no, RR, it has nothing to do with the (small) size of the sample. It is about its non-randomness) but his play was atrocious in the second half and his attitude was even worse.

Unless he showed something remarkable in the other games to indicate that last night was a weird aberration, I would not want Whiteside anywhere this team in the future.

23. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't really finish well around the rim unless it's a dunk. He somewhat reminds me of Bynum; the way he moves, except his skills are nowhere near Bynum's.

If he was younger with a better attitude, I'd take him. However, he's 25 with limited NBA skill except for size & strength and a thug like mentality (w/ a low BBIQ).

Post Thanks / Like

how much does the 15th man and 8th big on our team need to move the needle?
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift 10) Rocwell 11) Everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    how much does the 15th man and 8th big on our team need to move the needle?
    Enough to warrant taking up a roster spot and moving us closer to the tax line. It is, after all, a spot we could need. Maybe we need the extra spot to take an extra body back in a trade. Maybe we want to sign a veteran later in the year to help with a playoff run and don't want the fact that we signed Hassan Whiteside to sit on our bench pushing us into tax territory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    That's what I figured as well. He's probably slightly worse offensive player than Gray but a better rebounder. Entirely situational and would come cheap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information