Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 15th man- Backup Centre or 3rd PG

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bebe is available to us we're not going after another backup C - there is simply no sense in having four centers on the roster (Jonas, Hayes, Bebe and backup), not when Jonas should be getting thirty minutes a night, Hayes and Bebe 12-14 combined and the remainder being taken up by a power forward in small-ball lineups.

Our fifteenth player should be a point guard, and the reason Masai hasn't filled the role yet is twofold:

1. He's going to bring Kabongo and a couple others to training camp and let them battle out for it; and
    2. He's keeping an eye on Phoenix to see if Tyler Ennis becomes available.

2. Like Mapko, ceez liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering that we don't have much to spend left, I'd rather just play Bebe than getting some crappy center to play. Let's just pick up a decent 3rd string PG from SL and call it an offseason.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Def don't need another C. Third string PG is much bigger need, but not a huge need with Williams. Prob be a training camp thing. I could see Kabongo getting an unguaranteed deal for the feel good Canadian story.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like Deandrea Kane
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    If Bebe is available to us we're not going after another backup C - there is simply no sense in having four centers on the roster (Jonas, Hayes, Bebe and backup), not when Jonas should be getting thirty minutes a night, Hayes and Bebe 12-14 combined and the remainder being taken up by a power forward in small-ball lineups.

Our fifteenth player should be a point guard, and the reason Masai hasn't filled the role yet is twofold:

1. He's going to bring Kabongo and a couple others to training camp and let them battle out for it; and
    2. He's keeping an eye on Phoenix to see if Tyler Ennis becomes available.
    Very good point. In the podcast on the homepage Zarar and the boys made a good point. Masai probably isn't going to bring in a decent back up center because if he does that Casey is for sure not going to play Jonas the amount of minutes he should. Jonas needs to be getting thirty minutes a game and if you have some veteran big man backing him up that actually has skill (unlike Hayes) Jonas will not see those kind of minutes. Also Masai and Casey have referred to 3rd string point guard as a need way more than backup center so I highly doubt they try and fill that position. If Bebe can come over I think they're going to stick with Jonas, Bebe and Hayes.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote GLF wrote: View Post
    Very good point. In the podcast on the homepage Zarar and the boys made a good point. Masai probably isn't going to bring in a decent back up center because if he does that Casey is for sure not going to play Jonas the amount of minutes he should. Jonas needs to be getting thirty minutes a game and if you have some veteran big man backing him up that actually has skill (unlike Hayes) Jonas will not see those kind of minutes. Also Masai and Casey have referred to 3rd string point guard as a need way more than backup center so I highly doubt they try and fill that position. If Bebe can come over I think they're going to stick with Jonas, Bebe and Hayes.
    Good point. So should we be worried about James Johnson and Lou Williams getting all of Ross's minutes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Good point. So should we be worried about James Johnson and Lou Williams getting all of Ross's minutes?
    Casey and his stupid rotations make me sick

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly. The only reason I say no is because Lou Williams can't play small forward and Johnson is more for the bigger guards and small forwards that Ross can't handle. Most of the shooting guards and small forwards in this league Ross can handle. Also Ross fits beside Derozan much better than Johnson because Ross can shoot the three, Johnson cannot. I guess that's where Lou might take his minutes but you don't want Derozan playing Small Forward too much and also Lou and DD aren't good defenders. You would want someone who can play defense beside both of them. So Ross still might not get the minutes he should but I think it will be better than last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly. The only reason I say no is because Lou Williams can't play small forward and Johnson is more for the bigger guards and small forwards that Ross can't handle. Most of the shooting guards and small forwards in this league Ross can handle. Also Ross fits beside Derozan much better than Johnson because Ross can shoot the three, Johnson cannot. I guess that's where Lou might take his minutes but you don't want Derozan playing Small Forward too much and also Lou and DD aren't good defenders. You would want someone who can play defense beside both of them. So Ross still might not get the minutes he should but I think it will be better than last year.
    You make sense but Casey doesn't. Ross will get playing time because Casey doesn't hate him like Johnson or Fields. Lowry, Lou and GV will be the problem.

Raptors Republic All-Star YoungGunRaptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I never thought about this until now, but that makes a lot of sense. Casey would definitely play the back up big over JV, and that in turn would hinder his growth.

Kabongo would be a great fit for the 15 spot.
    “You can sink and drown, or you can float, and we out here like Michael Phelps."
    Demar Derozan

Raptors Republic Starter OptimalOptimist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    You make sense but Casey doesn't. Ross will get playing time because Casey doesn't hate him like Johnson or Fields. Lowry, Lou and GV will be the problem.
    I find this Casey hate is retarded, nothing personnal.

Both Ross and JV made strides from their rookie seasons. Every young players that was put between Casey hands has developped to be a better player than originally thought. If they don't play as much as the veterans it is quite simple : repeat the same mistake over and over again, you're out. Ross and JV were 2 of the slowest raptors rotation wise and Casey likes team D better than personnal D.

You want casey to play more a gassed JV? You wan't Ross to be broken down physically due to his handling of heavier and stronger forwards?
    Myself (March 2014):
    The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

13. Like Mapko liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In a word: yes

Post Thanks / Like

Ross will get minutes. He's proven he can start (as opposed to proving he's a starter, which is not quite the same thing - Ross hasn't quite made the case that he's an NBA starter, as opposed to being a high-quality rotation guy, and this season probably set his rep down one way or the other) and Casey's job is secure now, so he doesn't have to go into panic mode and play vets.

More to the point, Ross spaces the floor for the starting five, which gives DeMar more driving opportunities and gives Jonas more opportunity in the paint. James Johnson is good at lots of things, but he's crap at shooting, and the Raps need a shooter in their starting five other than at point guard.

I know people get frustrated with Casey, but the guy is a solid coach - he's never going to be a top tier offensive mind, but he knows D, he knows how to motivate players and get them to buy into his system, and he knows the basics of NBA offensive ball at least. I mean, come on, the guy managed to build a working relationship with Kyle Lowry. Nobody else in the league has ever managed that.

Post Thanks / Like

At the same time Terrence does need to step it up and become more consistent. If he isn't playing well and isn't giving enough effort, Lou and/or Johnson will get playing time over him and I'm not mad at that. We are still trying to win at the end of the day.

17. Like OptimalOptimist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As an aside, if we can't get Bebe (and it appears we're in a bidding war with other Euro teams trying to buy him out, although he wants to come here), we still shouldn't go after a veteran center. We have our starting center, we have our vet backup who can teach you center-tricks, so the third slot should go to a young player who can learn from Hayes and hopefully become an asset himself.

Raptors Republic Rookie RepTdot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    As an aside, if we can't get Bebe (and it appears we're in a bidding war with other Euro teams trying to buy him out, although he wants to come here), we still shouldn't go after a veteran center. We have our starting center, we have our vet backup who can teach you center-tricks, so the third slot should go to a young player who can learn from Hayes and hopefully become an asset himself.
    I disagree...I think if Bebe stays another year in Europe we should go after a vet C like Okafor or Blatche on a 2 year contract cause its insurance for a JV injury...a vast improvement over Hayes/Hansbrough plus is another contract that would drop off the books for the 2016 Durant sweepstakes...

Also I'm pretty sure that unless the PHX situation suddenly makes Ennis available...Kabongo who got a look at SL, is likely getting a training camp invite, and is practicing with Team Canada at the ACC right now..and could potential make the final roster for Team Canada's 11 game tour this summer...plus comes with a great story is the favourite to get the 3rd PG if they go that route...

Post Thanks / Like

we only have room for a vet minimum
    People I Will Shame When The Cavs Finish 8th
    1.) Day One - 2) JordanMariam14 - 3) Stooley - 4) Ceez - 5) Sam17
    6) mcHAPPY 7) ImanShumpert 8) Scraptor 9) Demographic Shift 10) Rocwell 11) Everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody mentioned Kwame Brown as a joke on another thread but he last played for the 76ers and fits as 3rd C under 1M / 1yr

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Somebody mentioned Kwame Brown as a joke on another thread but he last played for the 76ers and fits as 3rd C under 1M / 1yr
    He also doesn't really fit since ideally your depth players are guys who can move up a spot on the depth chart in case of injuries. Kwame was rarely an NBA calibre big man. I don't see what he really would add to the roster at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    He also doesn't really fit since ideally your depth players are guys who can move up a spot on the depth chart in case of injuries. Kwame was rarely an NBA calibre big man. I don't see what he really would add to the roster at all.
    He was signed to a 2 yr / 6M deal before 76ers went full on tank. He can be 7ft tall and plays good D but has no offense.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information