No announcement yet.

15th man- Backup Centre or 3rd PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a pinch we have players who can step in at both PG & C positions in Lou & Amir. Nethier are ideal for long periods of time, though with amir its more a concern in regards to injuries. Ideally I think Marshall would be our target but if he's claimed by the bucks well... gotta be honest I don't know what we should do. Maybe just go into the season with a empty roster spot?

Comment

except for the fact that Kendall Marshall is now a Milwaukee Buck...

Comment

more I'm reading this thread the more the empty roster spot makes sense...keeps us flexible for the ultimate opportunist Masai to strike is anything develops (e.g PHX)

Comment

I still get the feeling that Mr. Ujiri is going to make one more move. But who can read the Sphinx?

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            It's not hate, it's trying to use him where he fits best, which is as a scoring guard backing up DeMar. If Lowry gets injured, you'll be asking him to do less of what he's best at, and more of what he's just sort of "ok in a pinch" at...why make that adjustment? Why not try to find a 3rd string PG who can play at least 10-15 minutes a night if Lowry or Vasquez get injured, and thus allow Lou to do what he does best, while also probably getting a guy who's as good or better at getting others the shots they want. *And as GLF pointed out, if Lou is playing most of his minutes at PG, it alters the wing depth chart as the SG and SF minutes have to be redistributed to make up for his change in role.

It's about keeping roles well defined, and trying to utilize everybody in their comfort zone as much as possible.

As for the bigs....as I've said it doesn't make much sense to sign someone else and carry 7 PFs and Cs into the season. I'm ok with signing a big instead of a PG, as long as it pretty much coincides with someone like Tyler getting traded to address guard depth.
            How about using Amir and Tyler where they fit best, at PF and not at C? Lou Williams is a much better PG than either of those guys are at C. Lou Williams is also a better PG than Hayes is at C. You see where I'm going with this? The dropoff at backup C is far more extreme than the drop off to 3rd PG. Lou Williams is a better backup PG than anyone we saw in summer league. With Kendall Marshall out of the picture I don't see us picking up anyone we could reasonably give minutes to at PG ahead of Lou Williams. I see plenty of guys I'd give minutes to at C ahead of Hayes.

Comment

Either Nedovic or Craft will be available from the GSW. Both fit the bill as 3rd PG

Comment

2 year deal to Oden with a team option in year 2? If our training staff could get him healthy enough for 15 minutes a game he'd be a steal. Fits with the high risk/reward players at the 3rd string slot.

Comment

The gap / fall off in talent between starting C and back up C is greater than with the starting PG and backup PG. If Emeka Okafor is availalble for the veterans minimum... sign'em up.
                  There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

Here's what we are at:

Lowry/DD/Ross/Amir/JV

GV/Lou/JJ/Patt/Bebe

Charles Hayes/ Laundry Basket/ That crazy fella/ KD Brazil

If we go for a PG, then I personally would go for Peyton Siva.

If we go for a C (which I would advocate for, given that Bebe is more of a project at this point), I would go for Okafor.

I'm interested to see what happens with Ennis, although we really don't need him now. Given our depth at the PF, we could possibly trade for another player in exchange for one of Landry, Chuck, Williams, or Hansbrough.

Definitely though, the one thing that the Raptors still truly lack is a proven backup Center. With the combination of guards and small forwards we already have, reserve PG isn't a big need.
                    I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                    -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

I'd like the team to lose Fields and add a 2nd back-up C so that Nogueira can develop.

Comment

godkingleonidas wrote: View Post
                        I'd like the team to lose Fields and add a 2nd back-up C so that Nogueira can develop.
                        We can do that without getting rid of fields. Our team sits at 14 right now...

Comment

I still want him gone. LOL.

Comment

godkingleonidas wrote: View Post
                            I still want him gone. LOL.
                            Fields is a good player. Casey just has no idea how to use him, not Landry's fault

Comment

I like a couple guys that I think we could realistically pick up but the best option is leaving it open. More flexibility with trades, we have room to pick someone up if they're killing the d league and one more key: Masai doesn't want to look dumb. Yes Lou and Amir can fill some minutes at PG and C in case of injuries but that's not optimal. If we sign a PG and Jonas gets hurt, people will point fingers at Masai about not leaving it open or signing a big and vice versa to if Lowry gets injured and we signed a C.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                                Fields is a good player. Casey just has no idea how to use him, not Landry's fault
                                Coaches aren't paid to use injured, on top of totally broken shot, players "wisely". Talk about how he's a good backdoor cutter, blah, blah, but he currently offers so little at that end, leaving a defender to double someone else, that they're not going to suddenly alter their entire offensive approach to adapt to the inadequacies of injured 1 backup.

Comment

Working...
                                X