15th man- Backup Centre or 3rd PG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    I don't get all the hate for Lou Williams. He is actually a decent PG when he plays it exclusively, and is a pretty good assist man from the 2 as well. No where close to terrible like people are making him out to be. I'm a Hawks fan too so I've watched a bunch of Lou Williams, and from some of these comments I'm guessing most people haven't watched him much. Lou Williams is more than capable of being the 3rd PG playing backup if Lowry or Vasquez get injured. I'm infinitely more confident in Lou Williams at PG than I am in Hayes or Bebe at C.
    It's not hate, it's trying to use him where he fits best, which is as a scoring guard backing up DeMar. If Lowry gets injured, you'll be asking him to do less of what he's best at, and more of what he's just sort of "ok in a pinch" at...why make that adjustment? Why not try to find a 3rd string PG who can play at least 10-15 minutes a night if Lowry or Vasquez get injured, and thus allow Lou to do what he does best, while also probably getting a guy who's as good or better at getting others the shots they want. *And as GLF pointed out, if Lou is playing most of his minutes at PG, it alters the wing depth chart as the SG and SF minutes have to be redistributed to make up for his change in role.

It's about keeping roles well defined, and trying to utilize everybody in their comfort zone as much as possible.

As for the bigs....as I've said it doesn't make much sense to sign someone else and carry 7 PFs and Cs into the season. I'm ok with signing a big instead of a PG, as long as it pretty much coincides with someone like Tyler getting traded to address guard depth.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
      We need a big point guard then?

Can Lou guard SGs?
      Doesn't really matter. They need a PG just for an insurance if Lowry or GV gets hurt. Pretty much replace Stone/Buycks spot last year.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Free agents:

Point Guards:

- Eric Bledsoe
        - Jameer Nelson
        - Ramon Sessions
        - Mo Williams
        - Jordan Crawford
        - Aaron Brooks
        - Shelvin Mack
        - Bo McCalebb
        - Kendell Marshall
        - Chauncey Billups
        - Tourre Murray
        - Toney Douglas
        - Danial Gibson
        - Earl Watson
        - Mike James
        - Jamal Tensely
        - Peyton Siva

Power Forwards:

- Andray Blatche
        - Elton Brand
        - Jan Vesseley
        - Charlie V
        - Earl Clark
        - Ekye Udoh
        - Lou Amundson

Centers

- Greg Monroe
        - Andrew Bynum
        - Jermaine O'neal
        - Emekka Okafor
        - Gutavo Ayon
        - Gregg Oden
        - Ryan Hollins
        - Nazr Mohammed
        - Greg Stiemsma
        - Aron Baynes
        - Jason Collins
        - Andris Biedrins

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
          Doesn't really matter. They need a PG just for an insurance if Lowry or GV gets hurt. Pretty much replace Stone/Buycks spot last year.
          Lou Will replaces NDC as SG/PG. Half the team would have to have been injured before Buycks or Stone got playing time. The last spot should be a development spot since they won't even dress most nights. We have an active 12 man roster.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            Lou Will replaces NDC as SG/PG. Half the team would have to have been injured before Buycks or Stone got playing time. The last spot should be a development spot since they won't even dress most nights. We have an active 12 man roster.
            My bad about Buycks and Stone. I forgot about NDC who was the team's 3rd string PG last year. And that's basically what the Raps need a 3rd string PG. That's not Lou though. Lou's job this year is to be the team's 6th man.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

caccia wrote:
              I recall reading that the front office could not trade him before December, after a sixth-month period.
              That's wrong...they can trade him at any time. However you can't add his salary with others in a package for a contract of that aggregate value. And the deadline for that is I think 2 months after he was acquired.

You're thinking of players signed as free agents.

Comment

I like the idea of Marshall coming on board.

My biggest concern is JV going down for more than a week. What is the rule about injuries and ten day contracts? If JV is injured, such that they had to take him out for three weeks, couldn't they bring in someone for a couple of ten day contracts? I can't remember the details of injury replacement. Maybe three weeks isn't long enough.

Comment

Marshall has been picked up by the Bucks...so thats not happening, also just heard that Bebe is likely staying in Europe for another season...if thats the case then yeah..both positions can be addressed....still holding out hope that Masai pulls a Masai move and snags Ennis with the Bledsoe/Isaiah/Dragic overload situation in Phx.

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
                    Marshall has been picked up by the Bucks...so thats not happening, also just heard that Bebe is likely staying in Europe for another season...if thats the case then yeah..both positions can be addressed....still holding out hope that Masai pulls a Masai move and snags Ennis with the Bledsoe/Isaiah/Dragic overload situation in Phx.
                    Bledsoe has not been signed yet I don't think.
                    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                      he's not...he wants a 5yr/$80mil contract but Suns have offered the lowry 4yr/$48mil...I doubt Bledsoe is getting $16mil/yr from any team so he might have to take this suns deal...either way from the start I felt that PHX never intended to draft Ennis to keep him...they did it to take advantage of the knowledge Toronto wanted him but probably asked for too much and Masai held out at the draft..

Comment

I realize he doesn't fit the need of a big PG that can guard twos that would be optimal, but I honestly think we should pick up Peyton Siva at the min. He can't shoot but he can create and if he were to develop a shot he'd be a legit back up PG. It's a risk to think that he'll ever be good enough to have a role in a rotation but I think it's worth it. It's just 3rd string PG for crying out loud

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                          He wants 5/80 million , Suns offered 4/48

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                            I realize he doesn't fit the need of a big PG that can guard twos that would be optimal, but I honestly think we should pick up Peyton Siva at the min. He can't shoot but he can create and if he were to develop a shot he'd be a legit back up PG. It's a risk to think that he'll ever be good enough to have a role in a rotation but I think it's worth it. It's just 3rd string PG for crying out loud
                            Deonte Burton undrafted playing for the Wiz is worth a look after Summer League. Physical PG ideal for development.

Comment

So looks like I was right about the 2 summer league bums,they have been let go or waived,damn I should of been a GM
                              Topic is back up center or pg,well we need both,how is that possible,trade of course silly

Oklahoma City sends

Kendrick Perkins and Reggie Jackson(Over stocked with Centers and pg,both players are expandable with Ibaka,Adams,Thabeet,Collison and with recent signing of Telfair with Oklahoma City make jackson 4th pg,behind Westrbrook,Telfair and young christon)

Toronto Sends

L.Fields and Chuck Hayes and 2nd rd pick

All players have one year deals left,after this year they are all free agents.
                              Gives a chance for all players 2 contribute with their new team.
                              I've just check the espn trade machine,hey now,it works
                              Last edited by Dr Hannibal Lecter; Sat Jul 19, 2014, 11:05 PM.
                              "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                              My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                                So looks like I was right about the 2 summer league bums,they have been let go or waived,damn I should of been a GM
                                Topic is back up center or pg,well we need both,how is that possible,trade of course silly

Oklahoma City sends

Kendrick Perkins and Reggie Jackson(Over stocked with Centers and pg,both players are expandable with Ibaka,Adams,Thabeet,Collison and with recent signing of Telfair with Oklahoma City make jackson 4th pg,behind Westrbrook,Telfair and young christon)

Toronto Sends

L.Fields and Chuck Hayes and 2nd rd pick

All players have one year deals left,after this year they are all free agents.
                                Gives a chance for all players 2 contribute with their new team.
                                I've just check the espn trade machine,hey now,it works
                                No way any of those guys are capable of taking jackson's spot on OKC's bench

EDIT: Aside from Westbrooke, obviously lol talkin bout Telfair and Christon
                                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X